The singing ringing tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The singing ringing tree

It was an East German program, they also made The Tinderbox, not quite as weird but still odd. I,ve got a double boxed set of the 2 shows called tales from Europe released by Netwerk in 2003. About 3 years ago radio 4 did a short progran about the Singing Ringing Tree, including an interview with the actress who played the princess.

Comment

Try here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-D9pObZKw
      sigpic

Comment

I remember seeing this many years ago during the Summer holidays. When I saw the Fast Show parody, I was in absolute hysterics! My other half at the time was a bit younger than me and had never seen the original. Trying to explain what I was on about took nearly half an hour and a couple of Google searches...

Comment

article on The Singing, Ringing Tree
          http://eastgermancinema.wordpress.co...-ringing-tree/

radio 4 show about The Singing, Ringing Tree
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/sin...ing_tree.shtml

anyone know if the radio 4 program is available as an mp3?
          My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

I remember the singing ringing tree,and how i really enjoyed coming home from school and watching it.Everybody else in the house hated it,and moaned all the way through it,begging me to turn it off.If i remember,it was split into 4 part episodes,so i had a good few days of fun,while everybody else had a few days of thoroughly horrible horror and misery.

Comment

Oh yes, the Princess was a silly, vain creature who, due to her ugly ways, had been turned into ugly on the outside, As she saw the error of her ways, and with each good deed she did for those who followed her on her "journey," she re-gained her former beauty.
              I remember her chopping away ice to save the fish...

Comment

Late fifties it was syndicated from Germany. Must have been Germany getting back at us for them losing the war

The animation was pants as you see when the prince turns into a bear and back to a prince

I always wished a Canadian lumberjack would come along and fell that annoying tree for fire wood lol
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

It was made by Babelsberg Studios in the former East Germany. I have a tape of the R4 documentary made about 5 years ago. The BBC used these 'iron curtain fairytales' because they were of high quality and the BBC did not have the resources to make everything in-house. East European children's TV produced these (remember the Czech version of Cinderella?) to reinforce communist ideology, so despite the harsh realities of everyday life no expense was spared on educating the next generation. I think it dates from around 1960 and was regularly shown on TV in Eastern Europe for ~25 years.

Comment

There is a Singing Ringing Tree sculpture in Burnley (NW UK).
                    We did a walk including it last year.
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing..._(Panopticons)

Comment

Working...
                    X