Schools programme with Victoria Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools programme with Victoria Wood

Can anyone remember a tv series for school children starring Victoria Wood ? I think she played Wordwitch but I'm not sure. All I can remember is that it was made for the hard of hearing and she did quite a bit of sign language and there was a male presenter as well. Any info would be grateful !

I think it was called Rainbows End

Slightly worried I may have jumped in to soon with this one. But member danny gave me the lead mentioning a character called Supersign here https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ight=wordwitch

Does Supersign ring any bells Steve?

(My first thoughts were Look and Read but that was Wordy of course, and Words and Pictures also came to mind, but no sign of wordwitch in either
    Heather

Comment

Re: Schools programme with Victoria Wood

Victoria Wood apperead along side Derek Griffiths in a Yorkshire Television schools programme for hearing-impaired children called insight which ran between 1980/83
      Heather

Comment

That must be it ! Can't seem to find any info on it though. Many thanks once again !

Comment

Loking at this and am not convinced that Supersign was played by Derek Griffiths - in my memory it was a tall, skinny white bloke in his thirties with mousey blond hair (and a bit of complexion trouble)

Maybe things are fading as I journey through life..................

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about it not being Derek Griffiths unless it was an earlier show or something.

Comment

Returning years later, here is a short clip from insight, it shows ITV clock for a while but then, at about the one minute 34 seconds mark, it shows ( as a cartoon and then in the flesh) SuperSign...he is clearly not Derek Griffiths
              https://youtu.be/z_z1yjSdU8Q

Comment

I've been trying to get a still image of SuperSign of this clip but I ain't got the tech skills.
                I thought it might be easier to use on reverse image apps to try and get the actors name

Comment

The first series of Insight was shown in 1980 and was presented by Derek Griffiths. And the second and final series of Insight was first shown in the Spring and Summer Terms of 1984, and was presented by Victoria Wood (as Wordwitch), and Peter Llewellyn-Jones (as Supersign).

Peter Llewellyn-Jones went on to present 'Our World' the spin-off to the long running ITV Schools series 'My World'.

Comment

Well it took 12 years but it was finally answered

Comment

It was called Insight - a Yorkshire TV programme for ITV Schools. It was supposed to help youngsters hard of hearing to read and understand words, a bit like See Hear.

Victoria Wood and Derek Griffiths - the latter as a wizard. Griffiths, a veteran of Schools TV programme (Look and Read, etc,) but this was Wood's only Schools programme, although I believe she did some children's TV such as Jackanory.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X