wendys burger restaurants in the uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wendys burger restaurants in the uk

i suddenly had a mad flash back of a burger franchise in the uk that disappeared over night
    wendys the shops were i seemed to remember bright yellow (there was one in or around leicester square and im sure i remember one in lewisham high street S.E london) rather then the normal open long counter i seem to recall they had individual bank /post office type counters with microphones and you could say exactly how you wanted your burger cooked rare, medium or well done and exactly what you wanted on it pickles onions relish etc and the order it was put on what

im a veggie now (aint eat meat for 18 years ) but it allways made me think Britain couldnt get its head around the idea of a fast food take away with a Michelin star approach but it sure beat mcD`s over cooked and in a heated cabinet for an hour approach

Re: wendys burger restaurants in the uk

There was one in Leeds. I remember that the burgers were square. Ironically, it is now a McDonalds. A quick search reveals they pulled out of Britain in 2000.

Wendy's UK pull-out nets £1.5m

Comment

Some American chains have come and gone over here, often after just a pilot amount of shops opening.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wendys musn't have made it to the North East. I can't remember them.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I don't remember Wendys in Kent either. Do the Julie's Pantry restaurants still exist? They were always in service stations.
          "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Dunkin Donuts were another spectacular failure in the late 90's.

And as far as I can see, my prediction of Krispy Kreme failing here is coming true.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
              Dunkin Donuts were another spectacular failure in the late 90's.

And as far as I can see, my prediction of Krispy Kreme failing here is coming true.
              I hope Krispy Kreme stays and expands even more. I love em!!
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I think Krispy Kreme needs a name change if it is going to take off in the UK. I've never had a donut from them and I am totally put off by the name for some reason. I know they sell normal donuts but crispy and creamy are two things I don't want to imagine my donut to be. Plus it sounds very American.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  I think Krispy Kreme needs a name change if it is going to take off in the UK. I've never had a donut from them and I am totally put off by the name for some reason. I know they sell normal donuts but crispy and creamy are two things I don't want to imagine my donut to be. Plus it sounds very American.
                  Funnily enough, I felt the opposite way about them. I'd never heard of Krispy Kreme until I bought a book called 'Boring Postcards USA' (There's a UK version as well) from the Martin Parr collection. The books are full of postcards of (supposedly) boring views of places and things largely from the '60s and '70s, and in the American book, one of the postcards is of a box of Krispy Kreme Donuts. I thought that they sounded nice purely from the name, and then they started appearing in the UK. I've had them (usually the cream-filled glazed ones) several times whilst waiting for trains at London Victoria Station (there's a Krispy Kreme stand there), and I've really enjoyed them. It would be a shame to see them disappear.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I hope Krispy Kreme stays and expands even more. I love em!!
                    Sorry, I dont.

And I think most British people would probably find them too sweet and gloopy, as opposed to the type we have here (Greggs, supermarkets, local bakers). In fact the latter is the point: WHY go to an American chain when you can get a fine doughnut from a baker or if you want a larger number, buy from a Tesco's or Greggs etc?.

Also, the doughnut, though popular here, isnt the staple of the mid-morning or lunchtime 'diet' it is in the States. We are equally if not more likely to have a packet of crisps and/or a chocolate bar.

Comment

I've just been on a visit to the South of England and Krispy Kreme still have a concession at London Paddington. They also sell them in my mother's local Tesco Metro.

But I have not seen them in the North of England for years. BHS (British Home Stores to the older generations) used to sell them but stopped doing that years ago.

I agree that the name is offputting and somewhat illogical, Captain, but they are nice.

I remember on a visit to New York years ago finding doughnuts served up at breakfast . Americans, tsk!

Comment

The company bought a lot of them for the staff on a special occasion.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember when I went backpacking in the states we often got breakfast vouchers from the youth hostels for Dunkin Donuts. After a couple of mornings I couldn't face any more. My other food memories from that trip include not being able to get yogurt or proper tea, and having to live on horrible white bread, plastic cheese and those huge apples that don't taste of anything. This was in 1998. I went back in 2007 and things were much better - could even get Tetley tea God I'm such a Brit.
                          Last edited by Trickyvee; 19-12-2010, 18:10.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Sorry McDonalds, Burger King. But I got two far superior burges from a stall in the Christmas market in Piccadilly over the weekend (Venison and Wild Boar) and they were bigger and tastier. Anybody in the Manchester area should visit the said stall becuase believe me, the burhers the oman stall holder sells're ******* gorgeous!!
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

i cant remember them either.
                              an awful lot of u .s chains have come and gone in a very short time.

I just think the food wendy's did was not to brits tastes.
                              u.s food is far different to brit food certainly when it comes to portion size and the amount of fat etc.

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Wendys musn't have made it to the North East. I can't remember them.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X