Retro packaging- your favourite designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro packaging- your favourite designs

Do any designs stick in your mind from years gone by? I liked the old-style Ariel logo with the spirograph swirly thing and hexagonal shapes in the middle. Very much of its time but it really caught my eye as a kid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chestermikeuk++8-6-2009-16-47-36.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	264178

Also liked the old Fanta with the three orange circles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CanCoca-ColaFanta.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	264179

Sometimes the simple designs are the best!
    1976 Vintage

Re: Retro packaging- your favourite designs

can this include anything retro.
    like computer console boxes.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Anything you want
      1976 Vintage

Comment

a dew of mine are the old commodre 64 and spectrum boxes.
        they are something that just stand out.

here they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juNVAdw8wwU
        Last edited by darren; 02-01-2011, 00:13.

Comment

That Ariel design is also one of my favourites, Tricky. I also really like the old boxes of chocolates like Milk Tray, Weekend and Carousel. Marks and Spencers St Michael brand food always had really great packaging. If only I could go back and save some!
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I got some milk tray for Christmas and while I still like the chocolates, I am disappointed by the packaging. Milk Tray doesn't seem to be a Cadbury brand leader any more. It isn't advertised - what happened to the mysterious man in black leaping through the window? and it has lost it's romantic sparkle. Remember when the inside layers were wrapped in a gold envelope type bit? That all made it a bit special.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

i used to like the tango tins that had slices of oranges all over them

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I got some milk tray for Christmas and while I still like the chocolates, I am disappointed by the packaging. Milk Tray doesn't seem to be a Cadbury brand leader any more. It isn't advertised - what happened to the mysterious man in black leaping through the window? and it has lost it's romantic sparkle. Remember when the inside layers were wrapped in a gold envelope type bit? That all made it a bit special.
                I agree! The chocolates aren't the same either! The hazelnut whirl is all smooth now. Not 'rough' in texture. I too remember the gold 'envelope' thing inside. It made them feel expensive. Now they are all cheap like Roses!

Comment

I trained as a Graphic Designer, so old logos and packaging are things I have a keen interest in.

If you ever go to the Museum of Brands, Advertising and Packaging in Notting Hill, you'll see (as I did) a packet of Wavy Line own brand washing powder in the '70s section. It's got an amazing design on the front of the box - If there was a poster of that available, it would be on my wall!

I used to love the designs on the Club buscuit wrappers - A Club playing card on the fruit ones, a golf ball on the normal ones, an Orange, Mint leaves, and so on.

Then there were the Yorkie Easter eggs in packaging that looked like a lorry, and the box had a certain amount of play value after the egg had been eaten.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

The old 70's/80's selection boxes had some great designs on them. Also easter eggs from the same era were great. Many American brands still use retro packaging thats not changed in years.

Comment

I loved that old Ariel packet too.
                      Does anyone remember a washing powder packet that was shiny aqua green coloured? It was probably 80s. I really liked that, but can't think of the brand.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

There's no coconut diamonds in the Milk Tray now either, and yes some of the other chocolates have changed. There's a weird honey one not very nice.

I like the wording on the old Ariel box too. Enzymes in the powder were clearly a very exciting development back then. It's a "biological washing miracle"
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post

u got MT this year as well.
                          i remember that gold envelope type bit.

it seems to have lost that bit of class it had.

milk tray ads.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3H1MikGxE
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KLJQ4ukhOw
                          Last edited by darren; 03-01-2011, 00:47.

Comment

IMO everything was better back then, especially Ice lolly,sweet,chocolate,crisp wrappers/packets which were aimed to catch a childs eye

Example : Galaxy counters in our day... lovely bright cartoon type characters. now... something more aimed at a ladies night in watching tv,drinking wine and eating Galaxy Counters lol

Ice Lolly character packaging seems almost nonexistent
                            Heather

Comment

I agree with Heather. Everything was better back then! I can't understand why they have pitched Counters at women. They were kids sweets. Everyone knows that. There is not imagination in any of the packaging now. Why no foil on bars of chocolate? Everything looks the same IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X