Games Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games Night

As a family, we used to have a regular games night and play stuff like Monopoly (although we had our own rules - we didn't buy the houses, we shared them out and then bought them off each other - still have never worked out why!), Pictionary, Totopoly, Go For Broke, etc.....

I remember when the craze for Trivial Pursuit came about - mum and dad went the whole hog and bought the Genus Edition, the Baby Boomer questions and the Junior questions so that everyone could join in.

We also played plenty of 'pencil and paper' games such as Catagories, Consequences and that one where you draw a head, fold the paper over, someone else draws a body and it carries on..... , Squigles, Dots and Noughts and Crosses.

Oh, and Hangman

TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!
    TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!

I have 3 kids..two of which are above teens and Santa ALWAYS still brings a family game to our house at Xmas...this year was Frustration and we LOVE it..the eldest can't remember it from when they were young because it wasn't a fashionable game then...but it's alive and kicking in our house now...really good fun after 4 wines on Xmas afternoon.!!!:-)))

Comment

Personally I'm rather partial to Pass the Pigs. Anyone know it?

Comment

We used to play monopoly, life, trivial pursuit, and always had a deck of cards around to play spades, hearts, rummy, gin, or gin-rummy. Chess was a favorite for a long time too.

Comment

My favourite game of all time is Mancala..its african and simple to learn..although the strategy involved is like chess.

Comment

Family games nights, Tallulah ? Fantastic idea ! The closest we got was Hallowe'en night but I suppose the rarity of it only made it better.

Mini-master-mind was ( is ) my favourite game. Player 1 puts certain coloured pegs in certain holes, his opponent tries to guess what they are.
            Does anyone know how to play "Go" ( it's Chinese in origin & involves millions of black/whitepegs ) or, more importantly, know how to solve the hard Sudoku ?
            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

sudoku is great fun!!!
              No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

my dad is mad on that....some of them are sooo hard
                Definition of a Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary! .

Comment

I actually have the Pass the Pigs game that snakey was referring to. It's a game that come with two little pink pigs and you roll them like dice. Pretty fun. My favorite when i was a kid was what aidan said. MASTERMIND that was the all time best
                  I'd rather hear the bad truth than a good lie

Comment

Mastermind was cool, but I only had the travel version with the diddly little pegs in it which was a bit of a pain. I agree with Snakey and childofthe80's about Pass the Pigs - but you could never get the "Makin' Bacon" move which was worth a ridiculous amount of points.

Monopoly was a fave with me and my sister, but she invariably would get cross and throw the board across the room; Other faves were Connect 4, Cluedo and the ever brilliant DOWNFALL! Yay!

Comment

My uncle started a tradition in our family by buying my sister, my cousin, and myself each a board game for Christmas. When the other fads had lost their appeal, the board games were still there for us all to enjoy. I have continued this tradition with my own children and we have a games shelf which is rapidly turning into a games cupboard LOL. I do notice though that the play quality of board games these days just isn't the same and was so excited to see this site and be reminded of (and just bought on ebay) downfall and alley cats!

Comment

Pass the Pigs?

Originally posted by Snakeystew
                        Personally I'm rather partial to Pass the Pigs. Anyone know it?
                        Try playing this one after dinner when you have been invited to join th fiances family for dinner and one guest of honour.... happens to be a preacher with a wicked sense of humour......... If I recall correctly this was the same guy who I had to ask a particular saucy question of in Trivial Pursuit regarding Moby Dick!
                        sigpic
                        Mrs Oggy
                        ~~~*~~~*~~~
                        Count your friends amongst the stars....
                        And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Re: Games Night

There is a new version of Trivial Pursuit "the 90's" with questions about that golden age, I discovered it by chance browsing the new, http://www.hasbro.co.uk/tp90s They have an online version that works, I only answered 4 of the 6 questions though.

J

Comment

Originally posted by maverick_uk View Post
                            There is a new version of Trivial Pursuit "the 90's" with questions about that golden age, I discovered it by chance browsing the new, http://www.hasbro.co.uk/tp90s They have an online version that works, I only answered 4 of the 6 questions though.

J
                            Have to have a look see at that cheers.

Comment

These posts sound like Games Nights are things of the past!!
                              I'm now 59 and I still have my mates and my kids round for games nights. Risk, Monopoly (we have versions from different countries), Game of Life, The Business Game, Dark Tower, anything we can dig up really!

Comment

Working...
                              X