castlemaine XXXX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• castlemaine XXXX

The Australians wouldn't give a Castlemaine's XXXX for anything else.
    The Deputy manager at work qouted one by saying 'I can see the pub from up here'.
    Then there're the:-
    One where the mines leave the beers in the mine, send somebody in to get them back, the mine blows and one of the miners says 'bit warm aren't they?'
    The one where the guy has to wlk twentry miles there and back for help and his mate asks him about the flying doctor (another thread?)
    Then there was 'the sharks ate all the crocodiles' one. I', sure the location was used in crocodile dundee 2.
    Sorry, that's all I can remember,
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Re: castlemaine XXXX

It was awful Lager? in a yellow can? Tasted like watery hops?

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
      It was awful Lager? in a yellow can? Tasted like watery hops?
      Never tried it but I remember getting a load of free bottles of Listerine but no sign of Eddie and Clifford anywhere in the vicinity.
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
        The Australians wouldn't give a Castlemaine's XXXX for anything else.
        The Deputy manager at work qouted one by saying 'I can see the pub from up here'.
        Then there're the:-
        One where the mines leave the beers in the mine, send somebody in to get them back, the mine blows and one of the miners says 'bit warm aren't they?'
        The one where the guy has to wlk twentry miles there and back for help and his mate asks him about the flying doctor (another thread?)
        Then there was 'the sharks ate all the crocodiles' one. I', sure the location was used in crocodile dundee 2.
        Sorry, that's all I can remember,

i remember seeing this for sale.
        tried once or twice it was ok.
        much prefer foaters.
        if u drink australian you think australian.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

They don't even drink it in Australia, or Fosters. It's all Victoria Bitter and this other one over there. And what's with the not being able to order a half at the bar? You have to order a '?'. Strange word I can't remember what it was. I got looked at funny when I asked for a half! Spot the Pom a mile off!
          Last edited by Trickyvee; 09-02-2011, 00:45.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            They don't even drink it in Australia, or Fosters. It's all Victoria Bitter and this other one over there. And what's with the not being able to order a half at the bar? You have to order a '?'. Strange word I can't remember what it was. I got looked at funny when I asked for a half! Spot the Pom a mile off!
            Schooner?

Comment

I always thought that was a traditional style of sherry glass.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                Schooner?
                Yeah I think that's it. I'll 'ev a schooner mait
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Yeah I think that's it. I'll 'ev a schooner mait
                  here is an ad for it
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtwkDGlpWJk

Comment

They do a beer called xxxx which has nowt to do with Castlemaine. I foolishly ordered a castlemaine in the first bar I went in in Brisbane having spotted the yellow and red XXXX sign and the bar maid didn't have a clue. Her colleague said "He means 4 x". The other main brew is Tooheys.
                    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

We got the short end of the stick when it comes to Australian Lagers with Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX, there are far better ones available like Tooheys, VB, Swan and Emu to name a few. Each Australian State has or had its own specific breweries producing their own beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                        We got the short end of the stick when it comes to Australian Lagers with Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX, there are far better ones available like Tooheys, VB, Swan and Emu to name a few. Each Australian State has or had its own specific breweries producing their own beers.
                        i suppose the reason a lot of these beers never found there way to the uk is that it would cost a lot to ship them.
                        and they might not be that popular.

i assume fosters still sells over here.
                        well why not remove it and replace it with one of those other beers.

Comment

I think Swan & VB have been sold over here at one time.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            i suppose the reason a lot of these beers never found there way to the uk is that it would cost a lot to ship them.
                            and they might not be that popular.

i assume fosters still sells over here.
                            well why not remove it and replace it with one of those other beers.
                            Actually it's STILL availabe in the UK and I'm drinking some lager out of a FOSTER's glass now.
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

XXXX is brewed by Castlemaine Perkins, they're located here in Queensland (the brewery is across the river from my place so on some days if the wind is in the right direction you can smell the hops).

XXXX is quite popular here (XXXX Gold seems the tradies favourite) and is stronger than the UK licensed brew, although Fosters isn't popular at all. The Fosters in the UK tastes different to the one we get here and is much nicer.
                              You're hard pushed to find it in Bottle Shops (offys) and you'd never find it in a pub on tap, it's mainly Carlton Draught, XXXX Gold, Pure Blonde, VB, Tooheys (New, Extra Dry, Extra Cold), Stella and sometimes Heineken.
                              Stella tastes better here than in the UK (where I wouldn't touch it) but that's maybe because it's competing against Aussie Beers which are generally quite rough.
                              When I lived in the UK one of our locals did VB in cans, they were imported as the Aussie ones are called "Victoria Bitter" whereas the UK ones are "Victoria Beer" - because we use different words for the same thing.

As someone else mentioned, it does depend upon which state you're in for which is popular, people seem to bat for their local brands a lot more.

As for glass sizes, different states have different names for them. Personally I always ask for a pint, but in QLD you can have Pots (the small ones) or Schooners. In other states the small (half pint) glass is a middy and some do poncey names like Schmiddy for something inbetween.

If you're buying a "carton" (24 bottles) then the standard is Stubbies (375ml - same size as "tinnies"), you can buy individual bottles called "tallies" or "long necks" (750ml) too, although these aren't as popular. The idea being that the beers stay in the fridge or "esky" to stay cold, so having a smaller bottle in your hand means it doesn't get as warm as a big bottle or "tinny" as you go get a cold one when it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X