AudiSee book & tape adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AudiSee book & tape adventures

Does anyone else remember these? They came out in 1978 originally, but didn't appear in Britain until 1981.

What you got was an audio cassette with a half-hour drama on it (15 mins each side), usually based very loosely on a popular sci-fi novel, with an accompanying illustrated booklet. However, these were a bit different to the other read-along book and tape sets that were around at the time; each page had only one large painting on it, along with a line of dialogue rather than full story text, and a 'computer tone' on the tape signalled when it was time to turn the page. The idea was for you to animate the story in your mind as it unfolded on tape. I loved them, as they certainly fired my eight-year-old imagination.

I think there were only 6 in the series. Me and a couple of my friends collected all of them. The titles were:

The War Of The Worlds
    The Time Machine
    The Rebels Of Empiria
    The Star Prince
    Voyage To The Center (sic) Of The Earth
    The Lost Ones

They were around for only about six months and then completely disappeared from stores. I remember hoping at the time that they would make more of them. Occasionally the odd one turns up on Amazon or ebay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	waroftheworlds.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	264184Click image for larger version

Name:	thestarprince.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	264185Click image for larger version

Name:	rebelsofempiria.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	264186

Re: AudiSee book & tape adventures

I'm pretty sure I had Journey to the Centre of the Earth
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
      I'm pretty sure I had Journey to the Centre of the Earth
      This the one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	voyagecenterearth.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	259894
      Last edited by NostalgiaGuy; 28-02-2011, 23:41.

Comment

That's the one NostalgiaGuy
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

ive got three of them as MP3s now Rebels, Voyage, and Worlds. Mom had picked them up from a dollar store in Queens when I was a kid. Absolutely loved them. Wished there were more. you might like Escape Pod, or Drabblecast

Comment

Originally posted by TimMH View Post
            ive got three of them as MP3s now Rebels, Voyage, and Worlds. Mom had picked them up from a dollar store in Queens when I was a kid. Absolutely loved them. Wished there were more. you might like Escape Pod, or Drabblecast
            'Rebels' was a good one! Come to think of it, the only one of the six I really didn't like was Star Prince. just didn't grab me for some reason... but I always thought 'Rebels' would have made a great movie!

Oh and thanks for the tip, TimMH. BTW, which in your opinion holds up best on mp3?

Comment

Dear TimMH,
              I found your post quite by chance. I know it's daft but I bought "Rebels of Emperia" when I was 12. Would really love to hear it again. I know this is cheeky but I don't suppose there's much of chance of getting a CDR of your MP3 copy? I live in Glasgow Scotland and I would pay for post package and whatever else. See what you think. Cheers Ray strongarm24@hotmail.com

Comment

my parents bought a bunch of these tapes one year so us kids could listen to books on tape at night. I still have the tape, The Lost Ones, though I lost Time Machine a few years ago.

I forgot about the books that went along...

Comment

OMG I've been looking everywhere for these tape/books I had no idea they were so rare. I'm gutted as I'd love to hear them again. I had Star Prince, WOTW, Time Machine and Voyage.
                  If anyone has scans of the books and audio I would gladly pay for any of these as I used to listen every night to them and I remember thinking how brilliant they were back then.
                  Just to see the pictures you guys have put on hear has already brought a smile to my face, many thanks

Comment

Hi All!

I have 5 of the 6 books, including:

Voyage to the Center of the Earth
                    The Lost Ones
                    The Time Machine
                    The War of the Worlds
                    The Star Prince

Does anyone have any clue what they go for without the cassette? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by theperkinsfamily View Post
                      Hi All!

I have 5 of the 6 books, including:

Voyage to the Center of the Earth
                      The Lost Ones
                      The Time Machine
                      The War of the Worlds
                      The Star Prince

Does anyone have any clue what they go for without the cassette? Thanks for any info.
                      No idea mate. I'd give you £20 for scans of them all.

Comment

Been searching online for the Voyage to the Center of the Earth audiobook for ages, happened upon this site today and pleased there are others (like me) who remember it!

If anyone can supply me with an MP3 of this I'd be eternally grateful, happy to give a little paypal for your trouble.

Comment

Like a few quite people on here I've been looking for MP3s of these - any of them - for years and only just stumbled upon this great site!
                          I had about 5 or these that my mom picked up on a weekly basis ('Bewise' as I remember an 80's thrift store) for my little brother and my pocket money!
                          Purely for nostalgic value I'd love to hear any of them again can anyone point me to an MP3??.

Whenever my brother and I get together - not as often as it should be (we're both now in our 40s or there about's) it's not long before talk get round to 'Hello my name is Aletheo Balthaszar' (or whatever the intro to one of the cassettes used to say!!??), or talking about Meena in the time machine some other magic blue cassette moment!!
                          As these things often do our cassettes 'got lost' after we both left home.
                          Would really appreciate any help in finding even a small snippet of one of these as an MP3/Wav. It'd make two middle aged men very happy!! Cheers

Comment

Hi - did you ever manage to find any of these on MP3? Like you I'd love to hear them again!
                            cheers

Comment

Hey there amormigato!
                              I saw you have The Lost Ones Audisee tape from this thread! I have been hunting for it and wondered if you'd sell it? Or be willing to make a copy? It was something I used to listen to with my father when I was young, and we really enjoyed it together. He just passed away not too long ago, and its been on my mind to try to get a copy to listen to it again after all these years. Please let me know. That would be so awesome! Thanks! - Justin

Comment

Working...
                              X