Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Fighter II is 20!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/b...eet_fighter_ii

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior was released twenty (!) years ago today in arcades in March 1991. Help us celebrate by recalling your first experience with the game in the comments!

I guess I can go first. My first experience was actually with the SNES port at a cousin's house. A little known fact is that I'm terrible at fighting games, but somehow, I still had a ton of fun spamming Blanka's electric thunder attack. I got a bit better when my household actually got it, but my brothers and I were all sore losers, so we played sparingly and cautiously for fear of getting pummelled in real life.

What about you? What's your first experience with Street Fighter II?
    Never really been a fan of the series myself. I remember playing a hell of a lot of it and not really enjoying it, despite all my friends raving about it. I sort of avoided it in the arcades too, I wasn't very good at it and my 20p could have been spent in something I enjoyed far more.

What about you guys?

Re: Street Fighter II is 20!

My experience with Street Fighter 2 is a strictly console affair, I recall playing one of the later versions in the arcade but the first time I ever played Street Fighter 2 was at my mate's house one day after primary school, it was on the Super Nintendo. Looking back it must have been the first game I ever played on the SNES, we played it for hours on end that night and I fell in love with it straight away. I can honestly say it was Street Fighter 2 that started my love for fighting games in general. I look back at Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Toshinden, Dead or Alive, Tobal, BlazBlue and others but the one which started off the whole thing was Street Fighter 2.

I've never actually been that good at the games but I think I love the series mainly for the characters, I bought all the comics as a kid and read them over and over and then there was the pretty awful GI Joe Street Fighter toys. I'll never forget renting the 1994 movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme as Guile, the movie was totally panned but I just thought it was so cool seeing my gaming heroes acted out by real people in a motion picture. I actually watched the movie again a few weeks back and it's somewhat of a guilty pleasure, I think the years have actually done it a favour and it's just a really fun movie.

I'm rambling on a bit there but yeah, Happy Birthday Street Fighter! By the way, my favourite character was a guy from Street Fighter EX, probably one of the least-loved SF games of the lot. His name was Cracker Jack and he was a boxer-type character with an awesome hat/sideburns combo!

Comment

I never heard of Cracker Jack. I reckon some time in the future they will do a SF game on the consoles that will feature all the characters in that lovely new art style they have switched to since SFIV.

Comment

hartd to believe its 20 yrs old.

a fantastic game.
        then they did SF 2turbo.
        then they did SF 2the new challengers.
        the new characters where.
        cammy,t hawk,dee jay fei long.
        in SF 2 u cvould not use the bosses vega,balrog,sagat or bison.
        in the new challengers you could use anyone.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think Dee Jay is my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            I think Dee Jay is my favourite.
            here he from 2 MINS on.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKUkCFmVWA
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Wow. Makes me feel old.
              I used to go play this in the arcades - but it was annoying because sometimes a japanese kid would come up and just join in a 2 player game (wouldnt ask) and they were so good at it I would always lose, and have to wait until they disappeared for another go...
              Then I got a super nintendo and played it all I liked at home...

Comment

Working...
              X