First Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Job

Just taken my baby (aged 16!) to start her first "proper" job at Marks and Spencers (just for the school holidays, then she's back to do her AS levels) and it got me thinking about my first job. Craft Tools in Park Street, Croydon as a shop assistant/power tool repair type person for the princely sum of £15 a week. I left school at 16 before my O levels because my Dad had just died and so I had to start earning. I quite enjoyed the job itself and made some good friends but it wasn't a very happy time as Mum died as well while I was working there so most of my memories are sad. Hope Amelia enjoys M&S more! She's already moaning about the uniform and told me I'm not allowed to set foot in the shop while she's working there!

had a job after school when I was 15yo back in 1984/85...........4:30pm-6pm Mon-Fri and Sat 9am-1pm,for the princely sum of £0.80p per hour

left school the week before my 16th B/day and started an apprenticeship being a bookbinder for the princely sum of £35per week(well better than the £27p/w YTS's were on).......still managed to buy 2 Albums a week and get smashed every weekend

Comment

Bare in mind that i'm nothing like that bloke off The X Factor ..

my first job was in a chicken factory! £5.25 for four hours work in 1992 when I was fifteen allowed me to live the high life.

Comment

Sorry you lost both parents so young wingman, God rest.

My first job was in a pub, pulling pints, cleaning tables, ashtrays, etc. Lasted three weeks, after which I went back to college & tried ( in vain ! ) to make up the lost time before the exams.
        Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidan
          Sorry you lost both parents so young wingman, God rest.
          Thanks Aidan, I appreciate that, long, long time ago now but still hurts sometimes

Comment

My first job was in Strix, kettle parts manufacturing factory.Worked there for almost 11 years. Got made redundant, did an office course and am now working in a queenie factory (shellfish) atleats until i get something better.
            Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

Comment

My first job was in the summer holidays when I was 15 washing and drying dogs in my neighbours poodle parlour - I loved it.

Comment

apart from endless paper rounds my 1st job was in a local supermarket wen i was 16....i hated it and got sacked after 3 weeks for my attitude!!

Comment

my first was in ATS as a tyre fitter which i stayed in for eleven years (through different tyre dealers)
                  kernow bys vyken

Comment

Re: First Job

My first job was a paperboy aged about 9 or 10. I remember getting my first pay packet of 50p and promptly spending it on a packet of jelly tots and some other sweets in the papershop
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

My first job as a young lad was a Paperboy,I had three rounds one in a morning one of an evening and one Sunday round.The morning and Sunday rounds were my favorite because you could always help yourself to a bottle of milk or a bottle of fresh orange.
                      But when I was about 12/13yrs old I got caugth a daft thing really I stole a bottle of fresh orange of a doorstep and there next door neighbour came out and caught me,as he knew what his neighbours had delivered that morning.....

It took me ages to live that down,and having to explain it to my mum and dad was a job in it's self....
                      sigpic

Comment

Naughty, naughty.....didn't you think of the poor suckers having to read their paper without a nice glass of orange juice beside them! My first job was picking and packing in a warehouse that dispatched chocolates, cakes and other yummy things to big stores. The only problem with that job was that it took me about an hour to cycle there in rain, gales, on a motorway - not much fun, I think that experience put me off work forever.
                        "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

My first job, was as a Trainee Hairdresser, 4 days a week in the Salon and ! Day at collage, half way though I knew it was not for me, but stuck to it, and passed all my exams, So I am a fully quantified Hairdresser.Shame I didn't have the confidence to carry on with it.
                          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by stevef View Post
                            Naughty, naughty.....didn't you think of the poor suckers having to read their paper without a nice glass of orange juice beside them! My first job was picking and packing in a warehouse that dispatched chocolates, cakes and other yummy things to big stores. The only problem with that job was that it took me about an hour to cycle there in rain, gales, on a motorway - not much fun, I think that experience put me off work forever.
                            Oh come on stevef you must of scoffed some of those yummy things while working away?
                            sigpic

Comment

Somewhere on here I told you I had wanted to be a Cookery demonstrator but dropped out of college and later became a telephonist, but before that I was still interested in Cookery, so I answered an ad in the local paper for cake decorators at a local bakery. I had visions of learning to Ice wedding and Chirstmas cakes etc.......
                              I ended up sticking Cherries on top of Bakewells and dredging sugar on apple pies at Champion Bakeries ( now My Kiplin's)
                              Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                              <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Working...
                              X