Why Don't You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Don't You

I remember watching Why Don't You during the school holidays.

The thing I couldn't understand then was (and still can't understand now is) that it was a tv programme made to encourage kids like me to quote:

"Just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead."

A tv programme telling you to stop watching tv hmmmm

Anyone else???
    Last edited by David; 07-08-2006, 22:19.

I remember watching why don't you i loved it
    No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

never heard of it, I must have switched off

Comment

I loved it... I always wanted to make stuff. And the recipes were brilliant....I LOVED IT!
        If eight out of ten cats prefer whiskas, do the other two shave or wax?

Comment

I thought it was boring. The only bit I liked was the opening title sequence.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/ti...ydontyou.shtml

Comment

Kids today could do with something like it - there seems to be nowt ( over here anyway ) for the under-18s other than tv/video games.
              I know I sound 90 yrs old but hey...
              Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

me and hubby had this discussion when talking about bringing lily up we said we don't want her stuck at a computer or in front of tv we want her doing stuff, entertaining herself like we did as kids

Comment

Good for you Dons, I made sure that John jnr got up to all the pranks I did, taught him to play conkers and make catapults, things like that (as well as playing football and cricket) When we moved from London to Suffolk it was like going back in time, all of a sudden it was safe to let Amelia out on her bike, she never came in during the summer. Just like me!!

Comment

i remembr why dont you80s summer holidays

Comment

Thanks, but that's not the original title sequence. I'm talking about the one that had the song that went "Why don't you just switch off your television set and go out and do something less boring instead?"

Which I usually did when "Why Don't You?" came on.
                      Last edited by M.I.K.; 10-08-2006, 06:55.

Comment

yes it is didn't you listen to the song? it said just switch off your tv set and do something less boring instead - dunno what you heard it say??!!

Comment

That version goes "Why don't you switch off your TV set and do something less boring instead?", but the original was slightly longer because it went "Why don't you just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead?". The tune was different and so was the animation, (the telly character looked different). I think it also involved someone in an armchair kicking their foot through a television screen. That might partly explain why they changed it.

Actually, I didn't really see much of the episodes after the theme tune altered, so the programme might have been better at that time, compared to when I was watching it a few years previously.

I've just found some pictures from it here :
                          http://www.tvradiobits.co.uk/eightieszone/eighties8.htm
                          Last edited by M.I.K.; 10-08-2006, 23:03.

Comment

Original theme tune :

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignmen...whydontyou.mp3

Comment

Drama version?

Would I be correct in thinking, that the later version of Why Don't You, turned into a Drama series? Involving aliens and monsters?

Comment

Working...
                              X