Bananarama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bananarama

Bananarama were founded in London in 1979 by Fahey, Woodward and Dallin. Dallin and Woodward had been childhood friends in Bristol since the age of 4 and attended St. George's School for Girls together. The pair became a trio when Dallin met Fahey while studying fashion journalism. The two became friends because they both dressed more radically than the other students.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    albums
    deep sea diving 1983
    bananarama 1984
    true confessions 1986
    wow 1987
    pop life 1991
    please yourself 1993
    ultraviolet 1995.
    exotica 2001
    drama 2005
    viva 2009.
    -------------------------------------------
    their greatest success came between 1982 and 1989.

In 1993, Dallin and Woodward returned as a duo with a new album called please me.

In April 2011, Bananarama appeared on ITV show benidorm and performed love in the first degree.
    the group name bananarama comes from there equal inspiration from the children's television program The Banana Splits.
    Last edited by darren; 18-04-2011, 01:03.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Bananarama

Please Me or Yourself??

Comment

They weren't bad.
      I liked "Shy boy",Love in the first degree" and "Venus"

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
        They weren't bad.
        I liked "Shy boy",Love in the first degree" and "Venus"
        t be fair i like most of there songs.

classic music like this never dies.

no music nowadays to me is as good as this group where.

they are the most successful british girl band ever.

here u go.
        http://youtu.be/JH3WvI_S6-k

Comment

That album was called 'Please Yourself'. I saw them live in '89 and they were terrible! It was like an assault on my ears. Everyone was booing them. It has to be the worse concert I've ever been to. Don't really think you can call their 'music' classic Darren.
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
            That album was called 'Please Yourself'. I saw them live in '89 and they were terrible! It was like an assault on my ears. Everyone was booing them. It has to be the worse concert I've ever been to. Don't really think you can call their 'music' classic Darren.
            well its classic music to some people mate.

we all have different opinions some love their music and some will not.

im a big fan and always have been.
            have heard most of their songs mate.

perhaps that concert they where singing at they where not to well hence people booing.

Comment

No I dare say it's cos they can't sing and their vocals are artificially enhanced in post production. As you say Darren everyone has different taste. I like some of their songs, that's why I went to see them. They are the worst people I've ever seen live. Totally disappointing. Also the first album is deep sea skiving not diving I think.

Comment

No I dare say it's cos they can't sing and their vocals are artificially enhanced in post production. As you say Darren everyone has different taste. I like some of their songs, that's why I went to see them. They are the worst people I've ever seen live. Totally disappointing. Also the first album is deep sea skiving not diving I think.
                You should not go on just one performance mate.

perhaps this was one nad concert they did.
                it happens to every act.

who is to say if u went again to see them they might be fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

it happens to every act.

Good point

We al know what a great band QUEEN were and Freddie Mercury had a fantastiic voice yet they were booed off the stage when they came to Australia.

Comment

it happens to every act.

I know that they hardly ever sing 'live' now and only mime. I also doubt that they would ever be 'fantastic'. Sorry mate but unless you have seen them 'live' you haven't really got an opinion.

Comment

Cruel summer and Robert De Niro's waiting always make it onto my 80's playlists.
                      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I know that they hardly ever sing 'live' now and only mime. I also doubt that they would ever be 'fantastic'. Sorry mate but unless you have seen them 'live' you haven't really got an opinion.
                        i must say mate i really feel anyone is entitled to an opinion even if they have not seen them live.

im going on what i have heard of them.
                        and i really like them.

i guess we agree to dissagre mate.

Comment

i must say mate i really feel anyone is entitled to an opinion even if they have not seen them live
                          I'm sorry Darren but no one can have a honest opinion about something like a live act that they haven't experienced personally. You have an opinion formulated on hearing their records and watching them mime on the telly which is fine but not a true reflection on them as a live act. I don't agree to disagree. Sorry.
                          Last edited by HG; 23-04-2011, 09:32. Reason: While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness

Comment

I liked Robert De Niro's Waiting, Love in the first degree and particularly Venus which I remember making a dance routine for with my friend.

Venus is another example of a song I heard two covers of before realising they weren't the originals. In my head the evolution of Venus will always go from Bananarama in 1986 to the dance cover by the BHF (complete with mandatory "woop...yeah" noises of the time) in 1990 before heading back to the original by Shocking Blue in 1969. I love all of the versions.
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I like Bananarama (was never keen on the name though). They have some catchy numbers and didn't seem to take themselves too seriously. The Lanananeenenonoo 'duet' can still make me smile.
                              Robert DeNiro's Waiting is the first one of theirs that I remember liking. I had the Greatest Hits Collection on cassette, and thought the best songs were on side 1.

I have some of their cd albums nowadays from when the re-issues (with bonus tracks) came out. I should listen to them all equally, but tend to reach for Wow, Please Yourself or their old Hits compilation.
                              My new years resolution should be to get to know Viva !

Comment

Working...
                              X