Flywheel car but not smash up sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel car but not smash up sets

Did I dream the whole thing or was there a toy car mid 70's that had a central flywheel with a black plastic rip cord that came in 4 or 5 colours and styles. Mine was green, but mates had Blue, red and black and maybe 1 or 2 more. These were not the smash up derby sets because they look different and mine wasn't supposed to have bits fly off, although after the way I treated it many bits did and it must have got thrown out eventually. The nearest I've come to it was the pink panther car that you can find easily on ebay, but I've never found any like mine. I think the pink panther car was not of the same set as the others.
    It's beginning to get obsessive, so please help.

I remember these although a frustrating 20 mins on the net hasn't turned up the actual name. The Pink Panther one was Dinky and as the basic design was pretty much identical I'd be surprised if the others weren't as well. Maybe they were Matchbox.

Must have been early 70s (Maybe '72-'73) as on our 'last day before summer hols - bring in a toy' day at school I do remember coverting the green one which went like the clappers across the school hall.

Comment

Ihad one of these around 1970 a yellow 6 wheel dune buggy type thing (like an argo cat if you know what one of those is, think the banana splits), the wheels didnt turn it ran on the big wheel in the middle, you would pull the cord and let it go, it went like the clappers too!

Comment

Oh thanks a bunch... LOL

Now I'm going to have to dedicate my life to finding out the name of these cars. They ring such a big bell the noise is deafening. Even though I didn't have one, quite a few of my mates did.

Comment

I had a bright green ripcord car....and Riccochet Racers too, where you fired bullets with cars inside them out of a big gun thing, thats was kool too.

Comment

Re: Flywheel car but not smash up sets

I believe you are talking about the kenner ssp racers. they made several different models. you could really pinch your fingers in those flywheels too, ouch! kenner also made the smash up derby sets (which i had and was one of the greatest toys ever!). a search on ebay of ssp racer should bring back several matches.
            "no man is a failure, who has friends."

Comment

Ebay never fails, and endless supply of memories from memory lane.

Comment

I've got the Pink Panther one. We used to have a green rocketship looking one and a yellow six wheeled thing. They were called Revrods in England, I think.
                ^..^

Comment

Revrods isn't a name I remember but it delivered this

£39 to you sir - http://www.kenneruk.com/index.php?pa...mart&Itemid=26

and a bit about them here: http://www.kenneruk.com/index.php?op...id=6&Itemid=28

I would but I've just bought myself some goodies and WiiFit is out next month. It is 'very' tempting, though.
                  Last edited by Wil; 16-03-2008, 11:31. Reason: added some stuff

Comment

Aha...that's the laddie. But £39? I have to find mine now..
                    ^..^

Comment

hey johnB im also trying to fine them i had 2 one red one blue both had cords and both were the same shape as the pink panther car god its so hard to no wot they were called but cand see them in my mine any help would be greate thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cacebaby View Post
                        hey johnB im also trying to fine them i had 2 one red one blue both had cords and both were the same shape as the pink panther car god its so hard to no wot they were called but cand see them in my mine any help would be greate thanks
                        If you read the rest of the posts you'll probably find your answer in either SSP Racers or Revrods. I haven't found any other large flywheel cars from that era even though I initially thought I remembered a green one with the same shape as the PP car. Memories, eh?

It'd be funny if johnB popped up and added to this thread again as it looks like he only made that one post and that was in 2006

Comment

Definitely Revrods by Denys Fisher. The Blue one was called Sidewinder and the yellow 6-wheeled one was called Sand Scorcher

Comment

Working...
                          X