Hairstyle Fashions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hairstyle Fashions

Was it fashionable for (non punk rocker or mod revival) men in the UK to have shoulder length hair from the early 1970s to the early 1980s?

Just interested.

Re: Hairstyle Fashions

I'm bit young to remember but I think so, unless it was just for footballers, actors, singer etc.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Theres loads of old films and tv shows showing long haired men in them...I'd have grown my hair back then if I'd been older....

Comment

Not really I'd say OP, tbh no

Round my way it was either Spikey or like Boga Benson from Grange Hill = with really, really Short cropped hair and nothing leftover to create a fringe from

80sChav

Comment

Quite a few people (famous or otherwise) had long hair back then; some even still having their hair long now
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I don't know I would go as late as the early 80s, but in the early-mid 70s younger men wore their hair longer. SitComs would often use the joke of a man with long hair seen from the back being mistaken for a girl.

Comment

I lived thru the 70s with long hair and a beard. Bit hippyish I suppose you would say with the floral shirts and garish flaired pants.

Comment

I am kinda embarrassed to write this. But in the mid to late 80s it became fashionable for men to have their hair permed. Yes. Permed like a woman. Believe it or not. It was all the go and the chicks really went for it. I recall the first time I had it done..sitting in the hairdresser chair for hours while the perm was applied. Hoping all the time my mates would not come in.

Comment

Kevin Keagan and Mick "Magpie" Robertson were both famous for their perms, and Richard Beckinsale was famous for his long hair - and Little Jimmy Osmond didn't exactly sing about himself being a short-haired lover...

I would be more embarrassed if I was bald and had no hair.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Keagan was a Liverpool soccer player? Richard was Kates father? Not heard of Mick Robertson.

Comment

Originally posted by spookiemoviemania View Post
                      Keagan was a Liverpool soccer player? Richard was Kates father? Not heard of Mick Robertson.

Robertson was a children's TV presenter here in Britain.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Fur was at its best in the 1980s, before PETA came in and (rightly) declared that we were all murderers. It's great to live in a world of cultural greed and trashy modern money comfort. Faux fur coats with full linings should be a winter wardrobe must-have.
                        According to Textile Styles, clothing in the 1960s was about bending conventional fashion rules, while clothing in the 1970s was about making comparisons. The fashion of the 1970s is focused on glam rock and disco influences. Tie-dye prints, fringe, and farmer tops were all common hippie fashions in the 1960s.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinpeter01 View Post
                          Fur was at its best in the 1980s, before PETA came in and (rightly) declared that we were all murderers. It's great to live in a world of cultural greed and trashy modern money comfort. Faux fur coats and backwoods camo hoodie with full linings should be a winter wardrobe must-have.
                          According to Textile Styles, clothing in the 1960s was about bending conventional fashion rules, while clothing in the 1970s was about making comparisons. The fashion of the 1970s is focused on glam rock and disco influences. Tie-dye prints, fringe, and farmer tops were all common hippie fashions in the 1960s.
                          It also includes big hoodies and lose shirts with beggy style pants.

Comment

Mullet… on a girl.
                            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                            http://www.youtube.com/v/wW6mqRyWNak

Comment

Working...
                            X