Digital Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Watch

First time I saw a digital watch was when a kid in school got one, It was the watch with red LED display that lit up when you touched a contact on the face. That was 1970. Most kids in the playground wanted to see it light up and I think by dinner time the battery was dead. I gather his dad wasn't impressed and wouldn't buy a new battery;-)

Re: Digital Watch

I had one never told the right time and stopped working altogether after a few months but looked cool and it certainly increased my popularity at school.

Comment

My first digital watch was a Casio F-8 - I got it for my 10th birthday in 1978. It had one button - a light - I was the first person I knew with any kind of digital watch - the battery lasted 7 years - a lot longer than the strap sadly.

Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
      Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
      While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
      Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
      -Kingsley Amis

Comment

My Dad had a multifunction one LCD one from the late 1970s, which lasted about 10 years. It was very large & heavy, in a brushed steel.

He might still have it tucked away, unless it went in a clearout.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My first digital watch was the Casio F-100 which I got for Xmas '79. The strap's gone now but I've still got it in my memories box.

Ripley wore one in Alien.

Last edited by Wil; 25-05-2011, 19:50.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that there was a "Six Million Dollar Man" red LED watch circa 1977/8 ? I never had one but I remember kids had them at middle school. We all wanted to be Gemini Man...and they could!

Comment

If you look very carefully you'll notice that Lorne Greene as Commander Adama from Battlestar Galactica is wearing a Pulsar Wrist Computer, the world's first calculator watch. Somebody must have thought it looked very futuristic that it became part of Cdr. Adama's kit. lol

Comment

I had one with a tiny little radio in it. It wasn't well made. The dials fell off after a couple of days. I took it back to Dixons for a replacement. They said that all the other customers had done the same, so they withdrew it from sale.

Comment

that Pulsar watch is pretty cool, it holds up pretty well today. one watch i remember at school was the one that had a Mario 3 game on it, i remember a girl at school had it and i used to always borrow it off her to play the game lol

Comment

Originally posted by kilsonvorra
                    Nowadays most peoples prefers digital watches to wear. There are many popular companies made this sort of digital watches and they all looks completely superb on peoples. I remember pulsar digital watch is looking quite impressive.
                    Odd i cant think of anyone i know who owns a digital watch. thought they'd gone out of fashion.

Comment

"Orbiting at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

- Douglas Adams, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

Comment

Mine was the Zeon 007 watch that played the Bond theme as the alarm. It went off in assembly once and the headmaster booted me out!

Comment

My first digital watch was an LED Casio. Those LEDs went through batteries like crazy. Nowadays almost all of my watches are mechanical windup.

Comment

i know i had this one for sure.

and the pulsar one as well.

Originally posted by Moondog View Post
                            that Pulsar watch is pretty cool, it holds up pretty well today. one watch i remember at school was the one that had a Mario 3 game on it, i remember a girl at school had it and i used to always borrow it off her to play the game lol

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've always gone for digital - like the timer and stopwatch handy.

Wearing one of these right now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	casio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	260419

I do seem to be in a minority though....

Comment

Working...
                              X