Roy Skelton 20th July 1931-8th June 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Skelton 20th July 1931-8th June 2011

Roy Skelton, the voice of the Daleks and Cybermen in many classic Doctor Who serials (and one of the few people to have worked with all seven original series Doctors) as well as the voice of Zippy and George in Rainbow, has died aged 79 following a stroke. RIP, Roy.

Re: Roy Skelton 20th July 1931-8th June 2011

Oh how sad, he was ever so funny doing the Rainbow Gang when they became cult....Will miss his voice as he was part of my childhood.

Comment

Very sad news.

The original Bungle was played by John Leeson, who provided the voice of K9 in Doctor Who.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        Very sad news.

The original Bungle was played by John Leeson, who provided the voice of K9 in Doctor Who.
        I never knew that!

Comment

Well I knew he was Zippy, but I never knew he voiced the Daleks yet listening to the two the similarities are very obvious! R.I.P Mr S.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Very sad news indeed. I have such fond memories of listening to his voice as the daleks, Bungle et all. He also had the reputation of being a very nice guy; very patient with the fans at DW events, etc.

Comment

this is sad news indeed.
              never knew he did the voices of zippy and george in rainbow though.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                I never knew that!
                It was only for the first year of Rainbow, as he found the costume got too hot under studio lights.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

RIP Roy, one of the greatest legends in kids' TV! Thanks to Roy for providing three generations of kids- and parents- with countless hours of amusement, and making two of the best characters of kids' TV- Zippy and George- his own!

He was indeed a remarkably talented actor and deserves just as much credit for his tremendous work on Doctor Who, he was the definitive voice of the Daleks. He also provided voices for several guest puppet characters on Rainbow, such as Zippy's cousin Zippo, and George's friend Georgette (a female hippo looking just like George in drag!) and had a very versatile range.

His talents as a writer should not be overlooked either as he also wrote many episodes of Rainbow himself.

My friends and I have had numerous fun drink sessions where we wind up impersonating Zippy and George... Roy has left his mark on all our lives, and our very culture! He will not be forgotten.

So let's bid Roy, in the words of Zippy and George themselves, "Goodbyy-yye!"

Comment

never realised he had so much talent as an actor.

i always wondered who did the voice for the daleks and cybermen.

it really was the perfect voice.

he did rainbow from 1970 to it finished in 92.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                    X