Stock Aitken and Waterman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Aitken and Waterman

Not exactly a band, but undeniably prolific in the 1980's. What's your opinion of them? At the time I was of the age to fall for the likes of Kylie and Jason and was more than happy to hoover up their IKEA-pop, but now I'm sorry that I spent all my pocket money on that tripe! Still, you can't fault their marketing strategy. They won their target audience all right and it's not all bad. I'm still a fan of this (specifically the 12 inch version), which although very SAW and very 80's, still gets a thumbs up from me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCtxQbIsec8
    1976 Vintage

Re: Stock Aitken and Waterman

I wasn't a fan of theirs, infact as a metalhead at the time I hated them but they were undoubtedly very good at promoting and selling records. I quite like the stuff Kim Wilde did while with them though but stuff like Sonia and the Reynolds Girls were simply awful.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Now that I'm an old fart, I'd certainly rather Fleetwood Mac than Jack
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I'd have rather Fleetwood mac'd back in 1988/9, I've probably always been an old fart

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          Not exactly a band, but undeniably prolific in the 1980's. What's your opinion of them? At the time I was of the age to fall for the likes of Kylie and Jason and was more than happy to hoover up their IKEA-pop, but now I'm sorry that I spent all my pocket money on that tripe! Still, you can't fault their marketing strategy. They won their target audience all right and it's not all bad. I'm still a fan of this (specifically the 12 inch version), which although very SAW and very 80's, still gets a thumbs up from me.
          I have loads of vinyl records by stock aitken and waterman.
          almost every artist that signed with them im like.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
            I wasn't a fan of theirs, infact as a metalhead at the time I hated them but they were undoubtedly very good at promoting and selling records. I quite like the stuff Kim Wilde did while with them though but stuff like Sonia and the Reynolds Girls were simply awful.
            Don't think Kim Wilde was ever produced by SAW. I liked some of their stuff. Some of it was just utter tripe! They were very clever though.
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Don't like them because they allowed the glut of talentless tripe we now see on X Factor and the likes of Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh come to the fore...

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                Don't like them because they allowed the glut of talentless tripe we now see on X Factor and the likes of Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh come to the fore...
                i totally agree with this sentiment, they gave us utter garbage, and Cowell has picked up where they left off, producing talentless, easily forgotten tripe.
                WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                  Don't think Kim Wilde was ever produced by SAW
                  You're right Stuck, I guess back end 80's pop just sounded like it was SAW!

Comment

Aye I have to agree there Herr!

Comment

I do not like SAW. There was plenty of music from that era that wasn't exploitation of simple minds. That goes for both acts and the people who bought the guff they created up.

Comment

SAW made some of the worst records I've ever heard in my life!
                        Not a fan
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I'll admit to liking the odd track. Together forever by Rick Astley always seems to make it's way onto my 80's playlists. The 12" versions of Showing Out and That's the way it is by Mel & Kim were good and the stuff they did with Bananarama just worked really well imo.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post

They were great yeah. If Simon Cowell was going then in the buisness he'd of got no-where at all!!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                              They were great yeah. If Simon Cowell was going then in the buisness he'd of got no-where at all!!
                              Simon Cowell was quite active in the 80's. He was very much involved with 'Fanfare' records. The label that launched Sinitta. He was a partner in the label. Before this he formed E&S Music, another successful label. Simon and label partner Iain Burton worked very closely with SAW from 1985/6. The 'SAW Hit Factory' albumbs were released on Fanfare. His success continued into the 90's when he set up S-Records. So he was going then and did get somewhere! Don't like the bloke on TV but we need to keep the facts right!

Comment

Working...
                              X