Who can remember going to College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can remember going to College?

The first time, as soon as you had left School?

If so what was the first course etc you studied?

Re: Who can remember going to College?

At college I did a BTEC in Information Technology & my English GCSE resit.

It seemed very different to school with a more relaxed atmosphere & plenty of half days.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I went to 6th form college and did A levels. Started off doing English, biology and art. Dropped art after a fortnight and took Geography and then had a crisis and dropped Geography for Chemistry after a year. My career has undergone similar twists and turns ever since!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I went to College half way through 6th form as I dropped A Level Economics and took Georgraphy instead. I still went to school to complete Maths A Level, if I hadn't have done that then I would have been booted out of school. I'm not sure why I found Economics so hard as I've studied it twice (the subject not the A level) since then as part of my professional qualifications and passed it easily. I guess things are just easier the second time round.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I went to college straight after leaving school after poor O Level / CSE results. My expectations of what college would be like were based on what bits and pieces of information I'd picked up about 'college', not realising this information referred to universities, not FE colleges. So I was rather disappointed to find it wasn't much different from school, with school-style lessons in school-like classrooms when I'd expected lectures in big halls, and not much culture. However, it served its purpose - I left with three more O Levels.
          The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I went to New College Durham. I was on one of the first 'NVQ' courses. I went there on a Monday once a fortnight on 'day release' from work while I was on a good old YTS!
            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Unfortunately I became bored with school about 6 months before my O levels so only ended up passing Technical drawing. So after a severe reprimand off my parents my first year at 6th form was spent proving a point. I got my mojo back and passed another 6. The following year I was studying A levels but became distracted by my first serious relationship. The girl in question studied at the same college and her house was just around the corner. Her parents were both at work all day so we found ourselves spending less time at college and more time at her house listening to Talking heads amongst other things. Once again the educational boredom kicked in and I threw the towel in halfway through and took a full time position at the supermarket I had worked at part time while I was studying. It didn't work out badly. Made it to fruit and veg manager via stock control before once again becoming bored.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I started at Braintree College, didn't like it, and went back to Tabor 6th form (I remember breaking off from catching up on the work to watch Carry on Screaming). Then I went to Braintree College after that to do a couple more A Levels.

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
                  Unfortunately I became bored with school about 6 months before my O levels so only ended up passing Technical drawing. So after a severe reprimand off my parents my first year at 6th form was spent proving a point. I got my mojo back and passed another 6. The following year I was studying A levels but became distracted by my first serious relationship. The girl in question studied at the same college and her house was just around the corner. Her parents were both at work all day so we found ourselves spending less time at college and more time at her house listening to Talking heads amongst other things. Once again the educational boredom kicked in and I threw the towel in halfway through and took a full time position at the supermarket I had worked at part time while I was studying. It didn't work out badly. Made it to fruit and veg manager via stock control before once again becoming bored.
                  i suppose looking back you regret becoming bored with school 6 months before your o levels but at that age its easy to be distracted by girls etc.

despite your periods of boredom with college making it to fruit and veg manager via stock control u did well before getting bored again.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    i suppose looking back you regret becoming bored with school 6 months before your o levels but at that age its easy to be distracted by girls etc.

despite your periods of boredom with college making it to fruit and veg manager via stock control u did well before getting bored again.
                    Regrets? School yes definately. Probably because a lot was expected of me and I didn't deliver. I let myself, my parents and a lot of very decent teachers down. The first year at college was a breeze. Didn't really pay attention and didn't have to. I knew what I had to do and did it. Although I left half way through, it goes down as one of the happiest times of my life and that's pretty much how I feel about my life at the moment. After what's gone on in the last few years i'm very lucky to still have a beautiful Wife and Daughter. My attitude towards work has changed ie it is only work and my home life is by far the most important thing and always will be.
                    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My first day at the 'College of further Education' was to say the least...........terrifying...........didn't know where i was meant to be......got lost in several corridors........and then got off the bus at the wrong stop going home and was lost.......sheesh!

The course i was enroled on was Pre-Hospital with 5 Olevels..........wasn't until my placement on the surgical ward at our local hospital that i found out i was extremely squeamish........needless to say i questioned if this was the right course for me

Comment

I left school after O-levels in 1978, got a job and they sent me on day-release to the local college to do OTC in Mech and Prod Engineering. It was a 9-5 routine, with an additional evening class once each week 7-9. I really enjoyed it and the class had some great lads in it, including 2 I knew well from school days. The company that employed me closed after about 2 years actually just before my third year of day release. While seeking a new job I didn't want to stop going to college so the principal let me still go and I paid half the usual fee--£70 per year instead of £140--the fee had, of course, been paid by the company for the first 2 years. I ended up doing 5 years part-time at that college, as after the OTC I did a 2-year HTC. The last year I was there the day was 9-8, which was quite a hard slog, especially as Maths was the last subject between 7 and 8 at night. By that time everyone was tired and hungry and itching to go home. The nice thing was that the class had stayed more or less together over those 5 years, with most of those starting yr 1 making it to the end of yr 5.

Comment

I did my A-levels at College...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

AHH....3 years lying on some grass stoned out of my head....lol.....ended up with a B.A. tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X