Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s

- it was rough I agree), but would you

If hypotheticaly speaking and having the choice of prefferd to be at school when you was or say now in these modern day's when School-day's and the work etc is as "easy as" or where you happy when you was there?

Re: I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s - it was rough I agree), but would you

Why would you miss school,Most people would't go back?The advantage these days is you can get qualifications for much better jobs I.T. etc.But there is much more competition for jobs nowdays.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s - it was rough I agree), but would you

school was rough when i was there but despite everything i do still miss it.
      i still had good times like sports day etc.

to be honest id still pefer to be at school when i was than now for sure.
      the eighties where for me where a great time to be at school.

schools are far to p.c now being my main gripe.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

You are very right, Darren about School's being far too P.C, this is so true I feel. I think i'd rather (and am gald to a degree) that I was at School when I was but as much as I don't like P.C/Red Tape etc I think School's now have the approach where they can get rid of the rouge elements more (even if it does'nt always work as often as it should).

I do think though that the subjects are so easy now from what i've heard etc. As close as I can compare/describe, the above I was at College (last time) 3 years since and so wanted to be on this Sports Course and all I had to do was English and Maths to asses me,as everything else I qualified for. I did ok with those subjects but I recall a Tutor saying (or rather feeling sorry for me) and saying that it's just if "your face fits" etc to get on these Courses, not about potiental, he as good as said the English and maths would mean little to that department. To say I was fuming that these methods went on when I was willing (and always am) to put such work in for whatever course etc, even the lowest outcome i'd be satisfied with made me fuming to say the least. I feel this is what School is like now in many way's but i'm not totaly certain though as no one can be unless your there really.
        Last edited by 80sChav; 05-02-2012, 10:47.

Comment

school subjects where harder in my day at school.
          o levels a levels etc.
          back then less people passed but that was not a bad thing just meant the o level a level where worth more.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            school subjects where harder in my day at school.
            o levels a levels etc.
            back then less people passed but that was not a bad thing just meant the o level a level where worth more.
            Indeed Darren. Now most subjects are not worth even half the qualification they were in our day I bet. The person who should take the blame for all this is Tony Blair I reckon and his pursuit of "Accademy this" or "Accademy that" .... there are too many Accademy's of different sorts that are what used to be School's I think these day's! Though I guess they have brought some good struff into Education - like if you are talented in a particular subject field

Comment

80schav, In another post you mention being in 'year 10' at school. This was way after 'O levels' which were last sat in 1987. When did you actually leave school? I took Gcse's in 1989. The second year to do so. I was in the 5th year. No mention of 'year 10' then.
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

In my school the renaming of the year groups occured in Sept '89. I went from 2nd year to year 9. Most definitely after O levels.
                Last edited by Trickyvee; 07-02-2012, 12:09.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
                  80schav, In another post you mention being in 'year 10' at school. This was way after 'O levels' which were last sat in 1987.
                  I adon't recall saying this anywhere Stuckinthe80s, if I have it's a total fluke of an error that i've typed by mistake or typing too fast (as half the time i'm 5/6 words a-head of myself and not even looking as I should at the screen often, madly/sadly .... which I invaryably very very often do. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Re: I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s

Why did they change all the school years but leave the 6tth form unchanged? It seems to have happened the year I left so never affected me.
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                      Why did they change all the school years but leave the 6tth form unchanged? It seems to have happened the year I left so never affected me.
                      Indeed HG, it was crazy, as everyone knew the old Year system. I mean saying your in "Year 7", makes people think you are just 7 year's old

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                        Good question. I always thought perhaps it did officially change but everybody still called it 6th form college out of habit, perhaps because it was usually in a completely different establishment from the school. By the time I started in 1992 I think we just called it college. Certainly never year 12!
                        Last edited by Trickyvee; 07-02-2012, 22:57.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

I couldn't really work out the numbering system, unless the first year of primary is year 0.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I couldn't really work out the numbering system, unless the first year of primary is year 0.

copied from another thread but this is how my school years went

Year 1: 4 to 5 year olds (I'm the oldest in the year so 5) (if not a primary school this would be Infants)
                            Year 2: 5 to 6 year olds
                            Year 3: 6 to 7 year olds
                            Annex(Year 4) 7 to 8 year olds

On to the Upper school building part of primary school (or in some cases Junior school)
                            Year 5: 8 to 9 year olds
                            year 6: 9 to 10 year olds
                            year 7: 10 to 11 year olds

Off to high school age 11
                            1st year 11 to 12 year olds
                            2nd year 12 to 13 year olds
                            3rd year 13 to 14 year olds
                            4th year 14 to 15 year olds
                            5th year 15 to 16 year olds.

*The year after I started school they opened a Nursery school which you started age 3/4 there was no 'reception' class

A few years after I left school year one became reception meaning there was no year 7 in Primary/Junior school, Year 7 then became the first year of High school which ended in year 11
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post

copied from another thread but this is how my school years went

Year 1: 4 to 5 year olds (I'm the oldest in the year so 5) (if not a primary school this would be Infants)
                              Year 2: 5 to 6 year olds
                              Year 3: 6 to 7 year olds
                              Annex(Year 4) 7 to 8 year olds

On to the Upper school building part of primary school (or in some cases Junior school)
                              Year 5: 8 to 9 year olds
                              year 6: 9 to 10 year olds
                              year 7: 10 to 11 year olds

Off to high school age 11
                              1st year 11 to 12 year olds
                              2nd year 12 to 13 year olds
                              3rd year 13 to 14 year olds
                              4th year 14 to 15 year olds
                              5th year 15 to 16 year olds.

*The year after I started school they opened a Nursery school which you started age 3/4 there was no 'reception' class

A few years after I left school year one became reception meaning there was no year 7 in Primary/Junior school, Year 7 then became the first year of High school which ended in year 11
                              It is crazy why they did this I think. Everyone always knew each School (Primary and Secondary) had 5 years each. That made much more logic I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X