Ben Sherman & Doc Martens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Sherman & Doc Martens

Can anybody else recall these being in the late 80s/very early 90s (and Ben Sherman more so all through the 90s?

I remember many a holiday at the start of the 90/mid-dish in Blackpool and going to the Doc Martens Shop but never getting what their Boots was about not like i'd get what it was about to have a flash Ben Sherman Shirt for a night out!

I remember well the Doc Martens shop and thinking cor it's like being in a morchary here ... all there boots were full of drab dull colours with the occasional yellow lacing to try to make them look flashier! I only stepped inside the shop twice at most but never never after it was so rubbish and boring!

It was (and still is!!) Ben Sherman all the way for me, more so I guess when I was at school though when we'd nearly always wear them (well the 4th/5th years = Year 10s and 11s in Today's currency) our B.S Shirt's not School ones!It made the 1st Years bawl their eyes out a bit too I can tell you!! You were a cool and respected in Chav-ness a fair lot for this I recall fairly well too

Re: Ben Sherman & Doc Martens (to a lesser degree), when these where "in" brands

Not a SHARP (SkinHead Against Racial Predjudice) are you?
    Only just got into SKinhead music myself (no, I'm not racist), it was Made In Britatin's theme (UK82 by The Exploited) that did it.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Re: Ben Sherman & Doc Martens (to a lesser degree), when these where "in" brands

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
      Only just got into SKinhead music myself (no, I'm not racist), it was Made In Britatin's theme (UK82 by The Exploited) that did it.
      No, i'm not a Skinhead of any description ... just a Sportswear Loving Chav (and proud)!

Comment

I remember these brands when they were first in fashion in the early 70s.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I have some Docs. Those footwear be indestructible. I wore mine through the end of highschool, through a heavy manual job making fire doors, through a printing job and then through a spraying job where I'd be out and about on work sites or in the shop working with lacquers and chemicals, all of which failed to mess them up. It's like they have been crafted by gods, they just take anything you can throw at them. They look a bit tatty with the spills and scuffs now, but they still wear really well, and any garden work or poor weather we have doesn't phase them at all. I doubt any other boot would be able to put up with so much abuse and still live to tell the tale.

As a comparison I own a pair of CATS and they were knackered after about 18 months of on/off use.

Comment

Got my first docs (plain black) in '93 and had them for about five years until the upper part split over the toes. I now have my second pair (patent black) not worn so often so still in good nick at 4 years old.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember most of the kids wearing/wanting a ben sherman and some sta press or tonics.
              Do they still make tonics?
              That was 1972, I bought a Crombie but almost immediately swapped it for an old rockers
              leather jacket, so it's been Levis and black T shirts from then to this day.
              I have had lot's of DM's over the years and I wouldn't say they last very long, the soles
              get punctured and they squish[which is annoying] when you walk. I always ended up with
              big holes in the soles. Old army boots lasted better and didn't cost a fiver;-)

Comment

Doc Martin do black shoes too which last forever. If you get a "leak" it can be easily fixed with some superglue.

Comment

I remember when Docs were all the rage in the 90's. I have a pair of Doc boots that Ive only ever worn a handful of times!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post

No, why? I'm just into "Chav-style" and Sportswear, but have often thought of having a Grade 1 Haircut!

Comment

Re: Ben Sherman & Doc Martens

ive got a few ben sherman t shirts from back in the day and still in top nick.
                      used to have doc marten boots but thats a long time ago.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Still wearing my cherry reds and Ben Shermans with pride lol. Fair bit more expensive since my youth but luckily your dont have to buy that many pairs of DMs in a lifetime ! Fred Perry another prominent feature in my wardrobe, my first FP polo shirt was £12.00 the latest bought was £85 !!!!! My how inflation rises

I dont think you can beat a well dressed skinhead look

My weekend wear consists of

Fred Perry/Ben Sherman shirt
                        Fred Perry Cardigan or jumper if the weather is as such
                        Levi 501 straight leg jeans
                        Shiny cherry reds or black DM's boots or shoes
                        A G9 Barracuta Harrington in beige

Yep I am still a skinhead after 30 years but not a bonehead (right wing idiot)

THE SPIRIT OF "69 WILL LIVE FOREVER
                        When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

I think all the Ben Sherman/Fred Perry Clotyhing is so representing of an era. When Clothes like this was not easy to source, and you had to go to an Outlet. Many a time I visited Doc Martin Shop's and wonderd about if I should treat myself, but was unsure. Luckily though we still have a great 2nd Hand Market Localy and a Sportswear-Catlouge Type seller is generaly their every week and if your in good time, you can get hold of some great Fred Perry Hoodies Jumpers.

I am really pleased this guy still attends the Market, as thinking of all this is great I think that not every Town is a "Uniformed High Street" and the past still has Echos in certain places - long may this reign. It all takes me back to my youth thinking of Fred Perry, Ben Sherman and though I never had their Shirts like many at school raved on about them, i'd of sure had 1 and joined the "in-guy's" at School, who always wore them - though I have one now (a Ben Sherman Shirt).

Of course I never knew of Markets in them day's to aquire garments not A1 but it's an adage in a way I guess as to how thing's change and how such knowledge is known and known to be known etc.

80sChav
                          Last edited by 80sChav; 23-05-2012, 17:01.

Comment

both classic brands never had fred perry clothes but do have an odd mr sherman t shirts.

there is a shop an hour or so from me and it sells these sorts of old clothes.
                            a retro shop for clothes it is.
                            i must say i think it fantastic that there is this 2nd hand shop in your town.

do you buy much fro it mate.
                            sounds like my idea of heaven mate.

i think this 2nd market is a way of keeping the past alive.
                            and anyrthing that keeps the past alive today im 1 million per cent behind mmate.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                            I think all the Ben Sherman/Fred Perry Clotyhing is so representing of an era. When Clothes like this was not easy to source, and you had to go to an Outlet. Many a time I visited Doc Martin Shop's and wonderd about if I should treat myself, but was unsure. Luckily though we still have a great 2nd Hand Market Localy and a Sportswear-Catlouge Type seller is generaly their every week and if your in good time, you can get hold of some great Fred Perry Hoodies Jumpers.

I am really pleased this guy still attends the Market, as thinking of all this is great I think that not every Town is a "Uniformed High Street" and the past still has Echos in certain places - long may this reign. It all takes me back to my youth thinking of Fred Perry, Ben Sherman and though I never had their Shirts like many at school raved on about them, i'd of sure had 1 and joined the "in-guy's" at School, who always wore them - though I have one now (a Ben Sherman Shirt).

Of course I never knew of Markets in them day's to aquire garments not A1 but it's an adage in a way I guess as to how thing's change and how such knowledge is known and known to be known etc.

80sChav
                            Last edited by darren; 23-05-2012, 17:31.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The nearest other Market Stall he stands is on the Coast - 70/80/90 Miles away, but I do like going every week as you can get Ben Sherman, Fred Peery and other brands that are similar which are just like unusual one-offs as Jumpers, which is more trendy/means more for me (in some way's) than his Football Shirts he sells.

A lot of this kind of clothing for me is important for certain confrences and functions I attend and for going out/holiday's and if "certain day's" ever arrive that i'll wear them (as I promise myself with it, but they never do), so I guess this makes me a Compulsive Buyer in a way!
                              Last edited by 80sChav; 23-05-2012, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X