Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooke Bond picture cards

Brooke Bond Oxo tea picture cards
    Did anyone else collect these cards and albums that came with Brooke Bond tea in the 1970's. Heres my collection.
    Attached Files
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: Brooke Bond picture cards

Those cards look really good in the albums. I never collected the cards but my parents got PG tips in the 80's so I always got a few cards from the packs anyway. I liked the way they were always in the bottom of the box mixed up with tea dust. I didn't realise you could get albums to put them in.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember these cards well used to trade duplicates with friends never had the albums though kept them together with rubber bands. great pics brings back good memories

Comment

thanks.
        I think i had to order the albums and get them via the mail. definitely remember dusting off the tea from the cards.
        My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

I was given some completed booklets when i was a child. I definately had the race into space and prehistoric animals ones. The others are a bit hazy but I think I had 6 booklets in total. I think one had Francis Chichester on the front and I seem to remember Campbells Bluebird in another. Possibly one with Ships (a large schooner on the cover) as well. I think they were thrown away when we moved house in the late 70's
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Remember these cards well.

As a family we used to drink gallons of tea. Not the stuff in bags of course....tea leaves. I can smell that tea caddy now.

The cards, ah yes. We never managed to get all of a series and our father always promised to 'send off' for the ones we were missing, but never did !

By the time we looked like getting most of a series, they would change the series and the book would remain incomplete.

Comment

Had quite a few of them.Dad used to collect as well so he was getting and swapping cards from work and I was getting them from school and my mates.We had quite a few albums of them.Ours went long ago,possibly sold on,given away or lost.Can remember the dinosaur,space,shipping,costume,and many others.Went hand in hand with many of the other promotional givaways of the time.As kids I think we collected about anything.

Comment

I have every single one from the when they started in the 50's all the way up to Kevin Chimps which was the last one around 1999. All the cards are stuck in. Apparently they're worth less.I started collecting them in 1988 when the did the Worlds Mystery Set. The ones i was missing I paid £1 or £2 for them at the local Oxfam. The most i paid was £12 for 1980 Moscow Olympics set. All my family drank PG Tips cards and my dad worked in a large factory where he knew the lady in the tea room so i was never short of cards and swaps.

Comment

When you sent off for the cards you were missing i think it was 5p per card and you sent them to Brooke Bond Oxo at a P.O Box in Croydon!

Comment

Yes,that's right.You could obtain single cards if you needed them.Complete older sets were also sold along with the books that went with them.Just found a couple of old books of cards and in the back of one it mentions previous picture card series(50 cards with album) 2/6d per set and four price(end labels)from any brook bond tea packets.Thinking about it I have 2/6d old money laying around somewhere...now where did I put it,LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X