Gliding Aeroplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gliding Aeroplanes

Anyone remember those small aeroplanes that you could buy just about anywhere? .. they came in paper packets and where just flat bits of polystyrene. You put the wings on and a propellor on the front and they flew like a really cool paper aeroplane. Awesome!

Yes, about 20p, I liked the twin bodied US plane, was it a lightning or something?

Comment

I once had a glider with drum-like plastic wings framed in wire and a rubber nose. You launched it with a catapult-type thing. Went for miles. Would love one ( for meself ! ) now.
      Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Heh, heh.. I remember those. But i remember the ones made from balsa wood. There used to be two different types. One was a plain old glider wich you just lobbed and hoped for the best. The other one had a wind up propeller (elastic band type) which you wound up to nearly breaking point then lobbed and hoped for the best!

The good ol` days!

Comment

polystyrene planes

I used to have a collection of polystyrene planes me favorite being the flying eyeball(!) that would be about 1977. Had a great big plastic clip on the front which would eventually compresss the polystyrene and fall off all the time making the plane useless!

Comment

Re: Gliding Aeroplanes

You can still get those polystyrene planes! I went to a kid's party and got one in a party bag!

Comment

Yep seen these still in our local paper shop, and do you remember blsa wood model planes?

Comment

Anyone remember those planes (well,sort of) that had petrol motors and a string attached to the wing? I used to watch people 'flying' those down the park in the early 70's..noisy bloody things. Never known what they were called but you stood there and went around in circles with the plane hovering due to its engine..anyone seen them?
                Last edited by sixtyten; 05-02-2007, 12:28.

Comment

I remeber them yep, dang dangerous things they looked too, whirleybirds?

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                    Anyone remember those small aeroplanes that you could buy just about anywhere? .. they came in paper packets and where just flat bits of polystyrene. You put the wings on and a propellor on the front and they flew like a really cool paper aeroplane. Awesome!
                    I can remember them, I often used to get one from my local paper shop, i can remember the ones that I had having a plastic push on propellers, I think it was more to weight the front end of the plane than anything else, it used to push on the the very front end of the plane, if I remember correctly it was made of clear plastic with red propeller blades.
                    Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Scarily I have just taken my son for a walk to the Park and went to the Cafe for a coffee....Lo and Behold they sell those Gliding Aeroplanes!!! I bought Two!! I still can make em fly ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                      X