Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody remember this book about escapes/survival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember this book about escapes/survival?

I've been trying to find a book I had as a kid back in the 80s. If I remember it correctly it was a fairly large format hardback book with lots of illustrations. It had a few shortish stories about escape and survival. I think all the stories were true stories. I think it might have been published by Octopus Books, from Marks & Spencer possibly, but that could be wrong.

The story that I remember the most is one where a guy goes and joins the French Foreign Legion and has a really tough time and hates it. In the end, his Mum comes to rescue him and she hollows out the seats in the car/van so she can hide him in there and get him away.

Another story I seem to remember from it was about someone being stranded in the Amazon river.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've been searching around for it all over, but can't come up with anything! Would love to find it again!

Re: Anybody remember this book about escapes/survival?

I remember reading this one, & was only thinking about it a few weeks ago.

One I remember were a submarine crew who managed to survive with only with a few minutes worth of oxygen left.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

After doing loads of searching I found this - I'm almost sure this is the book, the logo and that picture look really familiar and I did think it was called Great Escapes.

Does that ring any bells with you Richard? The submarine story you mentioned does sound familiar too.

The publishing time is right, I might order a copy and see what turns up.

Also found a news report about the Foreign Legion story, there is a book by the Mum about it too that I might get.

Comment

I can't remember the cover that well but the edition I read I think was in full colour.

Comment

I think that's the first paper page of the book, I don't think Google scan the covers on some books. Mine was in full colour too.

I'm certain that's the book I'm looking for now. I've even found a picture of the cover and it's exactly how I remember it What about you?

Thanks for posting Richard, the submarine clue added to my info helped me to find it. I'll find the cheapest one I can and order it soon.

Comment

It's alright, I think Casanova's escape from the Doge's palace with the help of an iron bar sharpened on a slab of marble (how do I remember things like this?!) was another featured.

Comment

Working...
            X