Happy Birthday Adrian Mole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday Adrian Mole

This year marks 30 years since The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 was first published.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/pe...niversary.html

I have grown up with him and have all the books even those published in the 90's and 00's. Sue Townsend really captured the life of a hapless teenage boy well.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: Happy Birthday Adrian Mole

I love, love, love Adrian Mole!!
    I'm feeling really old now as I've read every one as and when they've been published. I'm in my forties and still read them regularly.
    Sue Townsend - GENIUS!

Comment

Loved Adrian Mole. read the books when I was growing up "majestically", but loved the tv show and theme
      I'm in love with Pandora!

Comment

the publicartion date was 7th of october 1982.

never realised there where so many books based on adrian mole.
        Have all the books been shown as tv series.

i only watched the eighties and nineties tv versions.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

NO Daren, they've not all been shown, there was just The Secret Diary and The Growing Pains shown on TV I believe. I bought the re-released book (even though I have the original still) this week and am laughing and cringing my way through it like I did the first time, superb writing.

Comment

You still have the original thats classy mate.

really sad not all of them have been shown.
            wonder why this is.

not 100 per cent sure if i had the book but the secret diary was very good.
            just how close was the series to the book of secret diary mate.

Originally posted by HG View Post
            NO Daren, they've not all been shown, there was just The Secret Diary and The Growing Pains shown on TV I believe. I bought the re-released book (even though I have the original still) this week and am laughing and cringing my way through it like I did the first time, superb writing.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've never read the books but as an avid diary writer myself I feel as though I should! Not sure if I could relate to the musings of a fictional 13 3/4 year old these days though. Do you think they would still be worth a read?

Should bring out another one aged 43 and 3/4s.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

They have Tricky, well maybe not 43 3/4 but the last one was in his 40's. Definitely well worth the read I'd say, nothing to lose by giving it a go, they are very funny and you'd never guess they were written by a woman as they capture the struggles of a teenage boy so well. They also capture things that were going on in the Uk in the early 80's which bring back memories.
                I'm maybe biased as I've grown up with them and was nearly a teenage boy when I first read them but definitely recommended.

Comment

I love the books. The last one was excellent (The Prostate Years) although the first 2 are classics. I have the TV shows on DVD (Secret Diary and Growing Pains). The shows aren't as good as the books imo but they're a good piece of 80's comend drama.
                  Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I've read the first 2 a few times, & had the True Confessions out from the library.

I'll have to get round to reading the others some day.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                    X