Muscle Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Cars

I thought it was about time the classic muscle car had a thread of it's own.

Although I'm resolutely British (and always have been), there is one particular part of U.S. culture I totally adore - the Muscle Car.

It played a big part in my childhood - sitting in front of the TV watching Bo & Luke Duke pushing the orange 'General Lee' '69 Dodge Charger to it's limits. Actually, 'The General' was just one of many muscle cars to appear in 'The Dukes Of Hazzard', but as the star of the show, it was the most prominent.

'CHiPs' also featured it's fair share of muscle cars - usually mainly in highway scenes, but Ponch had a bronze Pontiac Firebird. Jim Rockford's Firebird was the only reason I used to watch the opening titles to 'The Rockford Files', and whilst on the subject of Pontiacs, who could forget K.I.T.T. - the black '82 Trans Am 2000 who was the star of 'Knight Rider'.

The legacy lives on in the new generation of Ford Mustangs, Dodge Challengers, Chevrolet Corvettes and Camaros whose styling nods back to the classic versions - and how many of today's U.S. car-related movies feature at least one-or-two of those classics (sadly often getting trashed).

There ain't no substitute for cubic inches!
    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Re: Muscle Cars

My favourite muscle car? The TVR Griffith. Such a monster and has beauty to go with it. Also, British.

Comment

How about the Jensen CV 8? Chrysler engine, 340 BHP, remember The Baron series? he had a silver one?

Yes, I must admit, I love Muscle Cars!!!

Comment

I suppose I was lucky to have cars when they weren't so expensive. My first car was a 67 mustang.
        The stang cost me 400 quid.
        6 months on I swapped it for a 1968 Charger.
        We bought several full size cars for their engines,
        Lincolns, Thunderbirds, Chrysler Imperials, Newports and much as the Jensen owners will hate me, a few Jensen MKIII's.
        all were bought for hundred quid or less and the motors ripped out and most of the rest went to the scrap yard.
        I ended up trying street racing in the charger and that lead to flogging everything to build a tube chassis car.

Comment

I understand what you say about the much prized powerrplant in the Jensen, I don't think it was appreciated enough as a whole car as it should have been? You either loved it or hated it? such a shame with the lovely snap dragon headlight styling, and most unusual glass fibre bodyshell.

Comment

Working...
          X