UK She-ra magazine 1980's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK She-ra magazine 1980's

Did anyone else used to get this magazine? I used to love the artwork, it seemed really well drawn. I found a He-man/She-ra site with pages from loads of the magazines, also He-man ones, if anyones interested. You have to sift through it a bit, but it's the only site I've found with them on. The one I really wanted to see isn't on there though. It was about Adora being captured and put on a boat, where she transformed to She-ra and fought a dragon. : )

http://www.bustatoons.com/archive/blog_all_posts.htm

Re: UK She-ra magazine 1980's

never knew there was such a mag.

im a huge fan pf both series.
    i really love the episodes that both are in.

cheers for the link.
    i was around hen the mag came out but never knew of it.
    id have had it had i known.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Thats a shame. They only produced a few She-ra ones, there weren't loads and loads. Not sure about the He-man ones. There were stories that featured both, I saw them on the site. At least you can see them now! : )

Comment

Originally posted by smiles7964 View Post
        Thats a shame. They only produced a few She-ra ones, there weren't loads and loads. Not sure about the He-man ones. There were stories that featured both, I saw them on the site. At least you can see them now! : )
        i always thought he man was more popular than she ra.

Id have thought there where more he man mags that she ra ones.

Comment

You can see full scans of the He-Man and She-Ra magazines here:

http://he-man.org/publishing/section.php?id=23

I think most of the issues have been scanned in full, but there are full descriptions of most of them on there (written by myself more than a decade ago!).

There were far more He-Man mags than She-Ra. In the UK the fortnightly Masters of the Universe comic, which began in 1986, lasted for 72 issues- then the monthly spinoff 'Adventure' magazine lasted for 27 issues, the last of which was published in February 1991.

London Editions, who published the He-Man mags, published a 'sister comic' for She-Ra but it only lasted 13 issues due to poor sales. While the stories generally weren't up to the standard of the He-Man ones, the She-Ra comic still had its moments, the one with Adora being drugged while asleep and sent out on a boat being one of its better stories.

Hope this helps, though the site above has pretty much all the information you could need.

Comment

Thankyou so much! I never knew the site existed, I wish I had! I've finally been able to look at the boat/dragon story after all these years! Shame the speech was too small to read, but it was great to see the pictures again. I never read the He-man ones as I wasn't into He-man as much. I'm surprised the She-ra ones didn't do well as it was very popular on tv. Thanks again : )

Comment

Originally posted by BlitzKid View Post

I think most of the issues have been scanned in full, but there are full descriptions of most of them on there (written by myself more than a decade ago!).

There were far more He-Man mags than She-Ra. In the UK the fortnightly Masters of the Universe comic, which began in 1986, lasted for 72 issues- then the monthly spinoff 'Adventure' magazine lasted for 27 issues, the last of which was published in February 1991.

London Editions, who published the He-Man mags, published a 'sister comic' for She-Ra but it only lasted 13 issues due to poor sales. While the stories generally weren't up to the standard of the He-Man ones, the She-Ra comic still had its moments, the one with Adora being drugged while asleep and sent out on a boat being one of its better stories.

Hope this helps, though the site above has pretty much all the information you could need.
              i wonder can these she ra mags still be found.
              Id just love to get even one of them.

did you ever have any of these she ra mags.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                i wonder can these she ra mags still be found.
                Id just love to get even one of them.

did you ever have any of these she ra mags.
                I had all 13 issues plus about three 'specials' they published. I still have most, there's just two or three that mysteriously vanished. I think your best bet for finding them is eBay- I've seen some go for pretty reasonable amounts of money on there, and used eBay myself to patch up a few holes in my He-Man mag collection. Good luck!

Comment

I had all 13 issues plus about three 'specials' they published. I still have most, there's just two or three that mysteriously vanished. I think your best bet for finding them is eBay- I've seen some go for pretty reasonable amounts of money on there, and used eBay myself to patch up a few holes in my He-Man mag collection. Good luck!
                  so you have had these from when they originally came out.
                  Id think they where pretty cheap when you bought them.

its such a pity they only did 13 of them.
                  where the specials different from the normal issues i mean thicker than the mags.

are any of the mag stories based on the actual cartoon series of stories.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    so you have had these from when they originally came out.
                    Id think they where pretty cheap when you bought them.

its such a pity they only did 13 of them.
                    where the specials different from the normal issues i mean thicker than the mags.

are any of the mag stories based on the actual cartoon series of stories.
                    As far as I remember there were three She-Ra specials that came out- one was a 'preview' edition that came free with issue #12 of the He-Man mag and introduced She-Ra for the new magazine. This was of the same thickness as the regular mags. The second was a 'Twins of Power' special that featured both He-Man and She-Ra in an extra-long adventure that took up the whole magazine, and this was quite a bit thicker than the regular mags. The third was a 'Princess of Power' special that came out about a year after the She-Ra mag had been discontinued and was produced in response to fans' demand for more She-Ra adventures. This was I think slightly thicker than the regular mags had been and featured a story with a guest appearance by Evil-Lyn from the He-Man series. The whole story can be read on my friend James Eatock's blog at bustatoons.blogspot.com.

The stories in both the She-Ra and He-Man magazines operated completely independently of the cartoon series so there are a lot of continuity contradictions. This was slightly more so in the He-Man mags than the She-Ra ones, so die-hard She-Ra fans may spot a few contradictions but the basic premise was just the same.
                    Last edited by BlitzKid; 05-02-2012, 19:19. Reason: correcting URL

Comment

cheers for this link just checked it.
                      seems odd an issue zero for she ra then issue 1 and then 1 of 1.
                      i wonder where there any she ra character cards like mattel did with he man which i have.

Last edited by darren; 31-05-2012, 14:37.

Comment

There were actually 14 issues of She-Ra. And at least one Special.

Comment

I do vaguely remember getting these. I definately remember getting an iron on he-man t-shirt transfer with one.

Comment

Working...
                          X