Electronic Project Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Project Books

I'm not sure if this is 100% relevant to the site, but has anyone else noticed that you can't get project books any more? When I was younger I used to be able to go down to any highstreet bookshop and get (or at least order) books of electronics projects. Not particularly heavy books, just small (about A5 sized) cheap books, printed on cheap paper, paper backed, about half an inch thick with a couple of simple circuits you could build on a sunday afternoon.

My Library used to have about a dozen different books in with literally hundreds of projects to make. Then the refurbishment came, and they were banished...

I can't tell wether it's a health and safety thing, wether it's some kind of educational purge, to me it's just perverse. If I ever ask for such books in a shop I usually get a quizzical look or a dis-interested gawp before being pointed towards copies of "How to choose a digital camera" and "Spreadsheets can be such fun!". Might have made that last one up, but it's a shame as these were all I'd used to read as a kid.

Is making a motorbike alarm with your dad on a sunday really a dangerous act that requires half a dozen degrees and a warrant from the home office?
    If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Re: Electronic Project Books

You're probably thinking about the book Making a Transistor Radio by the Rev. G.C. Dobbs which was published by Ladybird. I collect vintage hobby and project books and would love to find a copy of that particular title myself. In the meantime you can see the entire book online.

http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/geor...trf_radio.html

Comment

Now that's a find and a half! I found the schematic for it somwhere years ago, and even have the transistors sitting infront of me, but I've never found the full book before! Cheers!

Comment

Maplins is a good bet for something like this, & I think those 100 In 1 kits are still available.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I raided Maplin a while back and only found 1 which I didn't already have, 30 NE555 Circuits. Nice light reading. The 100 in 1 kits were great, always took them to my nan and grandads on a sunday and spend the day wiring up a crystal radio or a room alarm of some kind

Comment

I recently found a copy of the Ladybird transistor radio book on Amazon and it arrived a few days ago! I'm planning to order the Ladybird book on Simple Electronics also by Dobbs.

Comment

Working...
            X