When it wasn't cool to wear a Jumper/Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it wasn't cool to wear a Jumper/Coat

Even though it was freezing! Everyone I knew did this (not just at School too). Even out with your friends, having a T-Shirt under your Shirt was "trendy as" and a Coat/Jumper, just was'nt!! Who else can recall this "fashion statement of sorts"

Re: When it wasn't cool to wear a Jumper/Coat

As I'm a Geordie, it's only acceptable to wear a jacket when it's below 0, T-Shirt weather from March to November . But I vaugly remember this "rule" from primary school, though I sort of remember it elsewhere too. I definitely remember the T-Shirt under Shirt though. Think that one's back again isn't it?
    If it's lasted this long, it's worth keeping!

Comment

Originally posted by Llamarama View Post
      As I'm a Geordie, it's only acceptable to wear a jacket when it's below 0, T-Shirt weather from March to November . But I vaugly remember this "rule" from primary school, though I sort of remember it elsewhere too. I definitely remember the T-Shirt under Shirt though. Think that one's back again isn't it?
      I've got to admitt it (at School or not) oozes more class just to not have a Jumper on Llamarama. I don't know why this is - a T-Shirt under shirt as always been more trendy somehow. Even if say you wore a Llye and Schott Jumper to the Pub, it'd be looked at as "odd" I think.

Comment

As another Geordie I was the same.

At school it was ok to wear a coat, but having the hood up or wearing a hat was a big no no. Didn't matter that it was -5 outside and lashing down with rain. Everyone turned up with soaking wet hair. I'd pull mine down as soon as I got round the corner from home where sensible mam had insisted I put mine up.

As for nights out, well nothing less than a hankerchief sized dress would surfice and no coat was the golden rule. I have a vivid memory of one New Years Eve in the 90's, me and my friends struggling to totter up an icy bank from the beach promenade bar in Whitley Bay with the sea raging and horizontal snow battering us. All of us were in strappy dresses and sandals. Thankfully those days are behind me!
        1976 Vintage

Comment

It school hardly anyone wore jumpers, i'd even roll my sleves up in winter!

Comment

It school hardly anyone wore jumpers, i'd even roll my sleves up in winter!
            I don't know why it was but there was just something about Jumpers at this age, that "shouted out" the word Wuss if you wore one.
            Last edited by Heather74; 10-02-2012, 19:11. Reason: fixing quote box.

Comment

Agreed, hypothermia was a small price to pay for looking hard!

Comment

Agreed, hypothermia was a small price to pay for looking hard!
                Hmm but even now as long as you have the T-Shirt (or Footy Shirt) look it is still trendy I think and still reminds of Grease and John Travolta, all these years later. John did create something there I think, that even say Elvis could'nt.

Comment

It's the cool leather jacket that does it, cool and understated.

Comment

It's the cool leather jacket that does it, cool and understated.
                    No, I think it is the T-Shirt under Shirt thing that equates to the "Builders Look" somehow!

Comment

Or a combination of the two, either way looks cool!

Comment

Or a combination of the two, either way looks cool!
                        So true yeah. I think we should really thank John Travolta for this look though, imagine if he had never made Grease or Grease was'nt even made more-ever, we'd not have known the look so well. We often copied this look at School too (but not the Leather Jacket one).

Comment

Does a tracksuit top count as a coat ?

Comment

Depends if it's winter or summer, I think it's allowed in winter if it's down to single figures!

Comment

Originally posted by havasack View Post
                              Does a tracksuit top count as a coat ?
                              It has got to has'nt it? Depends though if you have say a WindRunner over it or similar, then for me unless it's freezing (say minus 8/9/10) you have to pick one or the other then!

Comment

Working...
                              X