Daley Thompson.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daley Thompson.

Francis Morgan Adoyele Daley Thompson was born 30th july 1958.
    he is a former decathlete.
    he won gold in the los angeles olympics in 1980 and again in moscow in 1984.
    he also won the world championships decathlon in 1983 in helsinki.

Thompson's rivalry with west german athlete jürgen hingsen was legendary in the sport throughout the eighties.
    The pair consistently traded world records, but Thompson always got the upper hand in the major events, thompson remained undefeated in all competitions for nine years between 1979 and 1987..

european championships

1978 Prague Decathlon silver
    Gold 1982 Athens Decathlon
    Gold 1986 Stuttgart Decathlon
    Bronze 1986 Stuttgart 4x100m

Commonwealth Games
    Competitor for England

Gold 1978 Edmonton Decathlon
    Gold 1982 Brisbane Decathlon
    Gold 1986 Edinburgh Decathlon
    Silver 1986 Edinburgh 4x100m
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Daley Thompson.

I can thank Daley for the first time hearing Iron Maiden, and many hours bashing the Z & X keys on my Spectrum computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daley Thompsons decathlon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	260047

Last edited by lk_ie; 21-02-2012, 00:18.

Comment

Originally posted by lk_ie View Post
      I can thank Daley for the first time hearing Iron Maiden, and many hours bashing the Z & X keys on my Spectrum computer.
      lol that's my biggest memory of DT. A friend had the game.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

yes daley did lots of ads in the eighties.
        And of course his own computer game daley thompsons dwecahlon whic io still play on my speccy.
        id say britains greatest ever all round athlete

Comment

Don't forget the sequel - Daley Thompson's Supertest.

Along with Geoff Capes... Daley is one of my favourite all round athletes from my childhood. It still amazes me how one person could excell at as many things as these two.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenone View Post
            Don't forget the sequel - Daley Thompson's Supertest.

Along with Geoff Capes... Daley is one of my favourite all round athletes from my childhood. It still amazes me how one person could excell at as many things as these two.
            a lot of time i heard people say about daley the only reason he did the decathlon was that he was not a top athlete at any one single event.

very harsh as the decathlon and the womens vesion are the gold medals that are worked for the hardest reason being is there are so many different events.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              a lot of time i heard people say about daley the only reason he did the decathlon was that he was not a top athlete at any one single event.

very harsh as the decathlon and the womens vesion are the gold medals that are worked for the hardest reason being is there are so many different events.
              I agree. Why do you have to be top in one event to be amazing? I'd rather be pretty darn good in 10 of them.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

I think the pole vault was the round he was best at. The 1500 metres is normally no decathlete's favourite speciality.

I've memories of Daley's celebration backflip in 1984, & the shocked surprise when his pole snapped in Seoul. He got another go but it more or less ended his chances of claiming a 3rd olympic gold. He did manage to defend his Commonwealth title twice though.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                X