Drawstring type bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawstring type bags

Like J.D Sprts/Jayne Austin etc ones, can anyone else recall having thesae for School? Ones that only had a drawstring to keep your bag closed were popular I recall though my School's hated us having these. They slightly accepted them more for PE I think, but still not liked very much

It is a shame they are not popular at all now I think, but i'm glad to say I have kept a few back as the years went by as a sort of "memorabilia" from when i've shopped in certain shop's, I just I hope the time will come when it's "in-vouge" to use them as a bag again.

80sChav

Re: Drawstring type bags

I used them as a kid in the 60s and 70s. I've now worked in primary schools for the last 17 years and they've always seemed quite popular ... if it's these you mean:

Comment

I've got a few of these. I normally use them in the summer to lug my stuff around, as I am without my big coat with many many pockets.

Comment

I have one in the loft from Schuh. Now they have boring paper bags! I do remember the ones from JD sports. Getting the bag was almost as exciting as getting the trainers!
        1976 Vintage

Comment

I've got loads of these, they are brill for both P.E and swimming kits, just the right size and wash easily.
          When I was at school mine had name, school and class printed on it in large white letters, you then filled it in with marker pen.
          Heather

Comment

My Mum made me & my Brother ones for our PE Kits. I can't remember what happened to mine but my brother's is still around.

I remember a few shops used to have plastic ones, but they coudn't hold too much before the loops holding the string snapped.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

In junior school we had draw string bags for our P.E. shoes made out of 70's material with horrible garish patterns. Goodness knows where we got them from but we all had them.

I do have a nylon draw string bag that I got as a freebie somewhere. I use it for my swimming kit.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I have one in the loft from Schuh. Now they have boring paper bags! I do remember the ones from JD sports. Getting the bag was almost as exciting as getting the trainers!
                I had not really thought of it like this totaly untilyou just said it as so Trickyvee. I recall thinking this well back at the time though, now on reflection ... it was really exciting like having the Trainers. More so too, when I had the bag for PE the first time as opposed to any bag, it sort of elevated people into cult status in a way I reckon/think.

Comment

The ones my middle school had were orange! That was in 1976...I guess it was a safety thing.

Comment

The Lads went for Sporty Ones and the Girls JHayne Austin etc!

I dunno if J.A Bags was popular with Girls at other Schools though, but I hear TopWoman was

80sChav

Comment

Yes, I had one - I don't know whether it was better than a lot of kids bringing their kits in a plastic bag, or that was better instead.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I still have one. They give them to us on discharge from Guy's Marsh prison
                        Last edited by Twocky61; 29-10-2017, 11:03. Reason: Speeling Correction
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                          Yes, I had one - I don't know whether it was better than a lot of kids bringing their kits in a plastic bag, or that was better instead.
                          Possibly yer George

Though i recall this trend extending right until the late, late 90s too and early noughties and then in my region Builders enhanced it further/fartther as a trend/look like wearing it as a Backpack (not as we did that)!

80sChav

Comment

I have ujust recalled (though ia m unsure about the Girls and their Jayne Austin Bags) we lads a t y school/s had our JD type bags directly over our front but veering either left or rightwards - pending on the vouguer in trend at that time. We looked we was playing Hockey - if you can imagine the Bags Straps and a Strap a Hockey/Netball team would wear to differenciate two Teams at PE!! Did anyone else have/adopt this look/style may-be!?

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by bakermuk View Post
                              The ones my middle school had were orange! That was in 1976...I guess it was a safety thing.
                              WQe had "Home-made School ones" with the schools name on at Primary School bakermuk, and try and try (and try as much as they may) they begged and pleaded with us to buy them, just cos of the school's name!

Thankfuly only a few (which I guess can be applied to the Geek/Nerd thread) saw sense and bought them!! Obviously a year or 3 later at secondary it is obvious us lads would then go for Sports type ones and girls Jayne Austin/Top Woman 10 times from 10 (if not 11, if was possible) lol

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X