6th Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Form

Did any other members study at 6th Form? I remember I did but a load of my friends had left in Year 11, so there was only others there that was'nt clo0se rriends. I really regret it though - looking back at old literature School gave me (as I only did about 2 and half months of Lower 6th Form), Year 12 in Today's terms, which I think we never refferd to it as so - though we did Year refer to Year 11 as Year11, but not Year 12 or 13 though.

I am dissapointed a lot about this (but not too much but enough) after finding old friends of friends on Facebook and seeing how Year 12 penned out for them and what they did, but the clock can not be turned back now so I guess resentfully I accept it as so.It would be good to recieve other members experiences (of 6th Form) if they studied it.

Thanks,

80sChav

Re: 6th Form

I liked 6th form, the work was hard but there were plenty of study periods, not that much studying was done in them. We also had the whole of Thursday afternoon off for games, sometimes we'd do it at school but sometimes we'd go to a sports centre. We had a lot more freedom compared to the other years at school. The 2nd year of sixth form I had a day a week at college which was even more relaxed.

Sixth form was also the start of going out on the hoy (drinking), with plenty of 6th form discos at a hotel next to school and going out on Friday nights.

I have very fond memories of that period 1987 to 1989.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I didn't get the grades I wanted at the end of fifth year, (I'm talking late 1970s), so I stayed on for Lower 6th. I didn't do much better after another year, so it was all a bit of a waist of time, academically speaking. However, the experience of sixth form generally and how one was treated; that was actually really good!

Comment

My school didn't have a 6th form due to a merger with another school in the town which then became a college which included the 6th form courses.

Compared to school it was very relaxed, which in some ways was a double edged sword for me.

While I felt under a lot less pressure, the work was harder & often I needed to do more research for essays.

Unlike Grange Hill there wasn't a common room, so no sitting around on a scruffy armchair listening to Radio 1!
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I went to 6th form for three years in the end due to chopping and changing courses but it was a very forgettable experience. Few of my 'old' friends from school went there and I struggled to fit in with the others who all seemed to come from a couple of other schools. It was my first experience of being 'the odd one out'. In one class it all got very juvenile with passive aggressive behavior and I soon found myself being the whispered about stooge which was horrible. I though people would have been more mature at 17/18 but it wasn't the case!

All in all the place was very fragmented anyway. There was no common room and I can't remember there being any planned social activities or clubs. After lessons people disappeared and did their own thing. I usually went home. There was no communal spirit at all.
          Last edited by Trickyvee; 08-03-2012, 11:42.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Actually Tricky your post reminds me of the cliques that developed within 6th form, there was one group in particular who thought they were better than all the rest. I suppose that's another thing that it helped bring home to you, that in life cliques will always exist.

We didn't have a common room as such but had a landing area next to the library which was the 6th formers' area.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

We were lucky enough to get a common room. It was a classroom that had been unused for a long time. We had a little kitchenet with a kettle and some coffee mugs. It wasn't really used though, as no one ever brought in any coffee! There was a little stereo system that was usually playing Capital Radio.

Comment

Working...
              X