Best/Worst Childhood Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/Worst Childhood Food

Go on, what were you most loved and most loathed childhood foods? What didn't you like getting served up for you tea, and what did you crave?

I can remember hating Spam fritters.....so much so that, one day, when Mum was out of the room, I shoved them under the floorboards (the carpet had been removed as we were re-carpeting, so I took advantage)!

However, I just loved fish fingers.......still do!

Hated mashed spuds and brown bread, both of which I love now.
    Hated porridge, still do.
    Loved luncheon sausage ( a kind of salami ), still do.
    Haven't gone off anything.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

hated most things but am a lot better now
      No man is worth your tears - and the one who is wont make you cry!

Comment

I suppose I will be th only one to admit this..... but I absolutley loved school semolina with the dollop of jam!
        And for those Northerners..... Manchester Tart.... still make this occaisionally now....... decided to make one next week as a treat for having just given birth!!!!
        As for hated foods........ mushrooms......yack! And Camp Coffee!!!! Bleuuuurrrghhhh!
        sigpic
        Mrs Oggy
        ~~~*~~~*~~~
        Count your friends amongst the stars....
        And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Best food - Findus Doubledeckers
          Worst food - Sunday dinners although I love them now

Comment

Re: Best/Worst Childhood Food

Momma, I liked school semolina too!
            Worst foods - pearl barley in stew (love it now); fried eggs made me retch though I'd eat eggs in any other form; most "meat & potato" dinners (chops, stews, etc), though I did like sunday roast dinners;
            Best foods - baked sheep's heart (yes, really!); custard; fish fingers
            I was an incredibly picky eater as a child, but now I'll try almost anything - still can't eat fried eggs though.
            The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.

Comment

1d (one penny) worth of crackling from the chip shop, never on a sunday or monday, cause they were closed, cause they didnt get fresh fish on those days.

large plate of Mince with a thick gravy, (eat from the outside of the plate, it cools down quicker there)

School dinner Spam fritters, always slightly doggy batter

School dinner bread and butter pudding

Sugar sandwiches!!!!!

Spoon full of ANDREWS, in a glass of Orange squash to make it fizzy (OK, as kids you dont know and dont care)

Ten battered sausages, for 35p dinner money on a monday, then making up what you had for dinner to your parents for the rest of the week (Till your older brother grassed you up)

Dislikes:Being made to eat the FAT on the pork chops, cause it was soft and slug like (I wont eat chops to this day and thats 38 years ago)

There was always something about school dinner gravy, never really worked out what it was, dont know if it was because it wasnt like mums gravy, or just the way it just sort of half poured, half slid when it was being served

Comment

Fish fingers and instant mashed potato (Smash), I used to love that as a kid.

When I was about 6 or 7 I used to enjoy chocolate biscuits (Mc Vitie's Homewheat) with butter or margarine on the non-chocolate side. I gave up butter/margarine on chocolate biscuits in my early secondary school years.
                I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I've always hated baked beans more than anything else. I don't know how anyone can stand the smell of them... :P As for food I loved, I used to adore the old Cadbury's Caramel bars. I know the new "Dairy Milk with Caramel" bars are practically the same, but it just doesn't feel right without the old packaging, and that rabbit in the old adverts!

Comment

I hated Birds Eye boil in the bag cod in batter sauce, Heinz tinned minced beef with gravy, BabyBell minis.....

Comment

I loved, and still do, condensed milk sandwiches.

This has to be Fussels or Ideal , not something runny like Carnation cos that just runs off your bread.

I remember Tiswas were in Paris once and Lenny Henry was running about getting the French to try 'em but the muppet was using Carnation ( loser! )

Comment

Aaah love condensed milk. Make a lovely caramel tart with it but always have buy 2 tins 'cos by the time I've tested that it's not gone off (ha ha!) there's usually a bit of a shortage.

Comment

My Mum still has condensed milk (Fussells) in her tea as she doesn't like cows milk
                          sigpic

Comment

My nan used to boil an egg and mash it up in a cup for me with ketchup.

Comment

I have always loved Fish Finger Sandwiches.
                              Love my mums Stew which is practically a food group on its own - see still makes it and if theres any of the fantastic gravey left she will freeze it for me.

Hated school custard cause alot of the time it was lemon flavor and you couldn't tell by the smell (many a ruined pub) urgh.
                              And mushrooms make me ill.
                              Laugh and the world laughs with you.
                              But do it all the time and they will lock you away.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X