Air Traffic Control / Airways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Traffic Control / Airways

Both of these games came out in the mid-'70s, the former being made by Airfix and the latter by Parker. Both of them centred around the fascinating world of airports and the day-to-day running of international civil airlines.
    In Air Traffic Control, four players could compete with two model Boeing 747s each. The object was to be the first to fly your 'plane safely from Heathrow to New York, which sounds simple enough, but the board used was MASSIVE, with all manner of technical checks and delays built in which could hold a player up for ages! It was really quite complicated and not something most young children could get their heads around.
    Airways was similar, but relied more upon cards than a huge board (although board there was, nonetheless). Instead of using model 'planes, each player chose an airline that was represented by a playing piece- B.A., SwissAir, Quantas, or the (now defunct) PanAm.
    Air Traffic Control came with a competition entry form enabling the buyer to win a weekend family break in New York in July '74- I wonder who the person was who won that??! Both games are still available to buy on eBay.

Re: Air Traffic Control / Airways

hi roxxy.
    yes i remember these.
    but hard to believe you can still get them.
    as far as i know they are the only board games based on airports.
    it sounds like u had both rox.

it seems they where games better suited for older kids as they where complicated in particular air traffic control.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Hi there , yes I had " air traffic control" as a kid , it wa very very complicated if I remember .....I do believe it was consigned to the jumble sale

Comment

My brother had Air Traffic Control and I loved it. We spent more time setting it up than playing it. It was a 'move the furniture' job just to put the board together.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATC1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	260288Click image for larger version

Name:	ATC2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	260289

Huge board game.......

Comment

I had the air traffic control game. I remember the planes had little plastic stands that you put your plane on with different sizes to signify the height it was flying at.

Comment

Working...
            X