School yard games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School yard games

what games did you play at break times .

i remember statues, top trumps, and one which i think was called ....Queenio cokeyio (spelling) with a tennis ball and a wall.
    also seasonal games like conkers.

i guess modern day kids link up there PSP's and knock the sh!t out of each other

Hi Cal...

I went to School locally here in Scotland but we played Red Rover, where two teams formed a line at opposite ends of the playground then you had to hop over and with folded arme try to bash the other person down and if you were left standing then the next member of theat team came across to shouts of..'Red Rover, Red Rover Let Rab come Over' until one of the teams was knocked out..another vicious game we used to play was called 'Manhunt, where you split into two teams and one team were escaping convicts and the others were Police..the Convicts team choses a word then split that by taking a letter each and then they had 5 minutes to run and hide somewhere in the playground until the 'police' team tried to find and catch them then 'persuade' each convict to give up their letter, usually through kicking and punching them and general violence! lol. (sounds mad when im describing it!)..the problem was if you were the Police and you caught a Team meber of the convicts that you really hated then it was just and excuse to batter them sensless as if they did yeild and give you their letter you just shouted that you didnt believe them and kept hitting them until playtime/dinner ended!!!!! lol lol..sounds crazy now but it was the 1970's after all!!!

All the best...

Rab ;0)

Comment

Re: School yard games

I loved elastic twist,it was fab but my mum got sick of having to buy me new knickers every monday,because mine kept falling down.

Comment

No way! lol
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeCremolaFoam View Post
          Hi Cal...

I went to School locally here in Scotland but we played Red Rover, where two teams formed a line at opposite ends of the playground then you had to hop over and with folded arme try to bash the other person down and if you were left standing then the next member of theat team came across to shouts of..'Red Rover, Red Rover Let Rab come Over' until one of the teams was knocked out..another vicious game we used to play was called 'Manhunt, where you split into two teams and one team were escaping convicts and the others were Police..the Convicts team choses a word then split that by taking a letter each and then they had 5 minutes to run and hide somewhere in the playground until the 'police' team tried to find and catch them then 'persuade' each convict to give up their letter, usually through kicking and punching them and general violence! lol. (sounds mad when im describing it!)..the problem was if you were the Police and you caught a Team meber of the convicts that you really hated then it was just and excuse to batter them sensless as if they did yeild and give you their letter you just shouted that you didnt believe them and kept hitting them until playtime/dinner ended!!!!! lol lol..sounds crazy now but it was the 1970's after all!!!

All the best...

Rab ;0)
          Says quote[not lifestory]keep it short eh!

Comment

very Naughty Zippy

Comment

I like reading peoples thoughts and memories. Very naughty zippy
              Heather

Comment

i remember playing bulldogs...

there was one person in the middle trying to tag someone and you had to get from one side of the "playing field" to the other without being tagged. If someone got tagged they were in the middle with the current tagee. the game was over when everyone had got tagged and the first person to be tagged was the one who started in te middle next game.

I have no idea why it was called bulldogs but i remeber being in the center and caught the back of one persons shoe with my finger and dislocating it....ouch!!!

Comment

we had to shout out british bull dogs 123, when we caught someone,giving them a chance to wriggle free before you got the whole phrase out.
                  Heather

Comment

We just played the usual games - football, handball, football, bulldog, football and more football!
                    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

so you used to play football..... we were so poor we never had a ball, used to use a stone lol

Comment

Kid next door to me used to use a dolls head as a football

Comment

I loved that game with the long loop of elastic - also skipping, Bulldog, Blocky 123, kiss catch , and one where you all linked up in a line and flew round the playground - whipping the one at the end virtually into the air LOL!

But most of my games were imagination-based, we'd "pretend" we were various things, like horses, homeless people (lol), witches, animals, grown-ups(!)

Also loved playing on my space hopper thing - it looked like the planet Saturn and you bounced up and down on it (until some horrible kid nicked it! ), and a rubber ball on a plastic line that went round your ankle and you spun/hopped over it...

Oops sorry...does this count as a life story??

Comment

No lol, just a lot of happy memories, thanks for sharing them.
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by nogden View Post
                              so you used to play football..... we were so poor we never had a ball, used to use a stone lol
                              You were lucky! You had a stone, well we were so poor that we had to use some rolled up newspaper tied up with string (coz Mum wouldn't let us have a "real" football in the back garden.) She thought that was a great idea until I kicked it straight through the back window!
                              "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Working...
                              X