Francesca martinez.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francesca martinez.

franceca played rachel burns in grange hill from 94 to 98.
    She beat off 40 other applicants for the role.
    when she got the call to say she had the role one of the producers told her they where loking for a girl with a disability to be in the show.

In francesca's words.
    Last December, I guested on the topical news Radio 4 show Broadcasting House. One of the stories up for debate was David Cameron's Christmas card, which featured a photo of his family, including his young son Ivan, who had cerebral palsy. There was talk of the Tory leader using Ivan as a political tool to make him seem more caring and sympathetic.

I felt compelled to point out that Ivan was his son and therefore should be in a family photo. I imagined that had Mr Cameron left Ivan out of this family scene, he would have been chastised for keeping him invisible. He couldn't win. I thought the only fair question was whether any of his children should have appeared and if it was right of him to place them in the media spotlight. As usual, someone's disability had made them an issue first and a human being second.

That's the huge secret about disability anyone with experience of it knows that a disabled person is just a person they love. A
    disability is like hair colour, eye colour height or weight, just another arbitrary feature that those around you cease to focus on and which ultimately becomes normality.

I was born with mild cerebral palsy according to my mother it I was like a newborn foal.

I like to think that this charming comparison is because of their wobbly legs and slim frame. I like to call myself… wobbly. I admit that the doctor did not use that word as he informed my parents of my condition when I was a somewhat floppy two-year-old in my mother's arms, but I can't stand those depressing terms that someone deemed appropriate to burden a human being with for the rest of their lives.

No wonder people are still so nervous about disability, and I can only conclude that names for them are hand-picked from a tombola of words most likely to induce fear and panic. Just stick your hand in and pull one out. Syndrome. Disorder. Cerebral. Palsy. Disease. Spina. Bifida. The rest is easy. Take two words, mix them together, apply to one human being and, hey presto, you've got a ready-made freak. Labels are powerful tools that shape attitudes and tell us much about how the things they are describing are viewed. I have spent my life trying to extricate myself from the label that was plastered all over me at birth.

she is now a stand up comedienne.
    but finds it hard getting roles in the uk.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Francesca martinez.

I think Francesca Martinez is brilliant and a total inspiration & ambassador for the disabled. Though really we should be concentrating on their abilities (what they can do) rather than their disability (what they can't do)

Alex Dyke on BBC Radio Solent has recently interviewed her on air. Plus she now does stand-up comedy performances and when she goes on people think she is drunk by the way she walks lol

As well as Francesca I also admire little Ellie Symonds the swimmer
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Re: Francesca martinez.

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
      I think Francesca Martinez is brilliant and a total inspiration & ambassador for the disabled. Though really we should be concentrating on their abilities (what they can do) rather than their disability (what they can't do)

Alex Dyke on BBC Radio Solent has recently interviewed her on air. Plus she now does stand-up comedy performances and when she goes on people think she is drunk by the way she walks lol

As well as Francesca I also admire little Ellie Symonds the swimmer

Indeed I totally agree. Francesca is brilliant with the style of comedy she does. It is really good Francesca can be the way she is I think and that it sends out a message we should all be equal among men and women - regardless of disability etc

Comment

Working...
      X