Sweets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweets

This stems from a thread on another forum and a subject close to the heart of one of the forum members here.

Sweets!

How many sweets could you get in a 10p mix-up back in the olden days? Hundreds is my reckoning. Well, it seemed like that - these days you're lucky if you get two or three for the same price.

Having said that though, we have an oldie-worldy sweet shop near us (Cuff's in Ribbleton, Preston if you are interested). They make their own ice cream (better even than Bonds), have a non-smiling shop keeper, keep all the sweets behind bullet proof glass, and they hate kids coming in disturbing them.

I keep meaning to order some stuff from www.aquarterof.com but never get round to it.

TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!
    TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!

thanks for the link! i was trying to remember the name of some sweets i LOVED and they're on that page (cherry lips)

Comment

Does anybody remember 'Counters'? They were chocolate buttons with white numbers on and the advert from the tv involved cartoon animals shouting, 'I've got a two, I've got a two!' etc.

Nobody I talk to remembers them. Am I going mad?? [xx(]

Oooooh, I've just remembered Spangles and Pacers too.

Comment

I think i can vaguely remember those "Counter" sweets that you're talking bout, just cant remember the numbers on them, LOL, i remember Spangles too (they were a favourite of mine), can remember when they decided to stop selling them, LOL,

Comment

That's too bad that a quarterof doesn't ship to the US. I had about £20 worth of candy in my shopping cart before I found out

The Cadbury's chocolate over hear doesn't taste like the same Cadburys I remember when I was a kid in the UK.

Comment

Cadburys chocolate in the usa is a different recipe to that in the UK.
            Try www.sweetsforu.co.uk
            They may have the sweets or chocolate you are looking

Comment

The best sweets to ever be created by the confectionary gods would have to be:

1: Beer bottles.

They were like large versions of cola bottles, but beer flavoured, (actually, they tasted nothing like beer but were so so nice)

and

2: (not sure of name) but they were silver balls.. basically they looked like medium sized ball bearings. From what I can gather they actually got removed from sale because of the coating that they used, (it did look exactly like metal)...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeystew
                2: (not sure of name) but they were silver balls.. basically they looked like medium sized ball bearings. From what I can gather they actually got removed from sale because of the coating that they used, (it did look exactly like metal)...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
                Yes - my mum used them to decorate cakes with. You could get metallic silver and gold ones. Mmmm, poisonous chemicals...
                Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Lemon Bon Bons and BlueBird Toffees.

Comment

Yes - my mum used them to decorate cakes with. You could get metallic silver and gold ones. Mmmm, poisonous chemicals...
                    Yeah those things

I must confess I also enjoyed pear drops a little more than I should have done. The only downside to them was if you had too many you'd wear that bit of skin off from your top gum and it was really quite painful

Comment

Try http://www.peggycharltons.co.uk

Based in Sunderland I know they have a good reputation for selling traditional sweets directly from their stall and they also sell online.
                      Old Fashioned Sweet Shop

Comment

does anyone remember SOUR FISH sweets???
                        So sour they litterally made your tongue bleed!!! LOL
                        Definition of a Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink and be Mary! .

Comment

mmmm sour sweets. they were horrible and yet moreish. bizarre
                          Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                          http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Great sweets sold by the quarter such as Kop Kops (my favourite) and Cherry Lips.
                            Also Sherbert Fountain.
                            Those flying saucer things that melted in your mouth.
                            The Space dust stuff that fizzled in your mouth.
                            Finger of Fudge (fnar fnar) "A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat...." etc etc. I always get that tune mixed up with the old Matey bubble bath tune ("Clean fun, clean bath, clean kids")

I don't know if any of these are available anymore or not as I no longer live in the UK ;-)

Used to be a little sweet shop in Timperley Cheshire called The Chocolate Box. Big jars of the "weigh" sweets all around the shop and you'd have to pass them to the old dude behind the counter. I think it became a hairdressers and I've no idea now...

Comment

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

try this link for all your sweetie memories
                              Andrea

------------------------------------------------------
                              THEY THINK THAT IM THE OTHER ONE AND THE OTHER ONE IS ME. BUT I AM NOT THE OTHER ONE AND THE OTHER ONE AIN'T ME

Comment

Working...
                              X