The ramones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ramones.

The RAMONES were an American rock band that formed in the New York neighbourhood of forest hills queens in 74.

they are oftern cited as the first punk rock group.

Despite achieving only limited commercial success, the band was a big influence on the punk rock movement both in the United States and the United Kingdom.
    All of the band members adopted the fake sirname ramone althopugh they where not related.

They performed 2 263 concerts, touring virtually nonstop for 22 years.
    Little more than eight years after the breakup which happened in 19 the band's three founding members joey,johnny, and dee dee ramone had died.

However recognition of the band's importance has built over the years and they are now cited in many assessments of all-time great rock music, such as the rolling stone top fifty list of the greatest artists of all time.

In 02 the Ramones were ranked the 2nd greatest all time by spin magazine only the beatles here higher at number one.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: The ramones.

I salute The Ramones and The New York Dolls as the progenitors of punk rock. Along with MC5 and Patti Smith, their significance cannot be underestimated. In fact if it hadnt' been for The Ramones The Sex Pistols and The Clash may never have formed, as it was at a Ramones concert in the UK that John Lydon and Joe Strummer received the inspiration to start their own bands. Malcolm McClaren (love him or loathe him) of course made that possible for the Sex Pistols.

Despite being an ageing (ex) punk, I must confess to only owning one (compilation) album of The Ramones, as despite their significance in the birth of the punk movement, I was really never that interested in state-side punk (bar the Dead Kennedys), instead focusing my attentions on what was happening in the UK. But The Ramones were a great band. They were a proto-punk band, and essential listening for anyone wishing to explore the origins and evolution of the punk rock genre.

Hats off to The Ramones.

Comment

Shame that Top Shop now sells Ramones shirts to people who have no idea who they are.
      I htend to ageee with Nostalgia I kind of side stepped the US Punk scene in favour Of bands like The Ruts, BUT having said that Johnny, Joey and Dee Dee will always have a place in the punk rock journals and indeed in my blackened heart. HEY HO .... LETS GO.....
      When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

saw them live a few times over the years including as a support slot at a u2 gig at the bowl in milton keynes in the mid 80`s u2 were still good then and not just the mega ego of bono

its a mini tragedy now days that the ramones have become a fashion item for 7 year olds and people who have no idea that the ramones were a band not a t shirt design i remember an episode of jonathon ross` talk show a couple of years ago when he was wearing a ramones t shirt and a guest (cant remember who it was ) asked him what his favourite ramones album was he never had a clue

Comment

wearing a ramones t shirt was asking for trouble as you just knew someone would ask him what his fave album was.

only qwear such a t shirt if you actually like them and there music.

can you rememberwhre and whn you saw them each time mate.

im shocked these people releasing these t shirts do not get in trouble fior using the ramones name

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
          saw them live a few times over the years including as a support slot at a u2 gig at the bowl in milton keynes in the mid 80`s u2 were still good then and not just the mega ego of bono

its a mini tragedy now days that the ramones have become a fashion item for 7 year olds and people who have no idea that the ramones were a band not a t shirt design i remember an episode of jonathon ross` talk show a couple of years ago when he was wearing a ramones t shirt and a guest (cant remember who it was ) asked him what his favourite ramones album was he never had a clue
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The labels in the t shirts show they are actually made by The Ramones Corporation Darren, similar to the current crop of Pistols stuff which are made and marketed by The Sex Pistols Corporation. Sad refoection on the way punk has gone over the years, forgetting the real reasons behind it and turning it into a business. So the shops will never get fined or asked to remove the items as they are there with the blessing of the bands estates and make them very easy money.

On the subject of J Ross in fairness to him he is a punk fan, he did a documentary a while back about punk ( devalued by his ridiculous decision to gel his hair up ) and I sent him a copy of my bands album which he commenbte don and played a track off on his radio show at the time. But he is still a kn*b I agree !!!!
            When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

out of memory saw them a few times at the brixton academy (im sure the damned were on the bill at one of the gigs )
              also saw them at the hammersmith palais and at the reading festival all of which were sometime in the 80`s

Comment

My fave live album of all time is It's Alive - just... wonderful! Oh to have been at that gig!!!
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I saw the Ramones twice, the first time being The Word Tour in 1980. On that occasion Dee Dee was still on bass.
                  I'd heartily recommend watching End Of The Century, it was released by Tartan on DVD a few years back now. It's essential viewing for Ramones fans!

Yes, I do occasionally wear a Ramones t shirt, not one of my original official ones, they've long since disintegrated, if anyone were to stop me in the street an ask me what my favourite Ramones album is my answer would be Leave Home.... without hesitation

Comment

Working...
                  X