Cufflinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks

Can any other members recall when Cuflinks used to be popular/trendy and Gold/Bronze ones used to be on Shirts in a Sort of Square but at an angle like Diamond Shape. It is a shame I think these are not popular anymore like they used to be - though they might be popular in other areas may-be, possibly. When I was young and just as I was a Teenager leaving School/the last 2 Years of school, they used to be well trendy as part of your Shirt for Clubs, but I never really liked the style - I don't know why.

80sChav

Re: Cufflinks

I remember my Dad wore cufflinks a lot in the 70's .........they would probably cost a fortune today as they were mostly gold.

Comment

Cufflinks were big in the 70's and I wish they would come back in fashion. I think men look really smart wearing them. I think practically they must be a bit of a pain though.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I have never worn them,and don't wish to either.It's far too formal.Dad only wore them years ago to very special occations like weddings,funerals,etc.I have always associated them with office jobs,banks,or just belonging to the previous more rigid generation.Too rigid a dress code for me.Hell i'm a 70's kid still screaming freedom all these years later.Orrid little fiddly thingy's,blah!

Comment

I've seen more of them around in the last 10-15 years.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've worn them, mainly through being dressed up through work meeting potential customers or suppliers. Fiddly doesn't even cover them. They look cool though. I guess that's the whole point.

Comment

Like everyone else's dad in the 70's, my dad wore them too. In fact he had a real penchant for them. I remember the shirts with the long collars and the flared trousers too. In fact I used to wear flares myself, until the advent of punk and drain-pipes.

Cuff-links were cool back in the day, and probably still are. But fashion dictates peoples dress sense, so it may be a while before we see a popular return of the cuff link. Personally, I would never wear them, as I never wear formal wear.

Comment

Sovereign & Half-Sovereign cufflinks were big in the Seventies.

Comment

I'm reminded of 70s/80s aftershaves and colognes when I think of my Dads cufflinks - he only wore them for special occasions back then....so I can still recall the scent of Blue Stratos, That Man and Brut...

Comment

Admit it ... you're a Hai Karate fan

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
                      Admit it ... you're a Hai Karate fan
                      Ha ha! Bit before my time that one, but I've seen the ads, and the woman in them....as Sid James would say, QWORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Comment

Over the last few years I have gone back to how I used to dress in my twenties...which means smartening up, including cufflinks. I haven't bought a regular button cuff shirt since, its double and French cuffs or nothing! Accordingly, I have invested in vintage links from the 50s, 60s and 70s, rather than mass produced modern ones, due to the fact that the vintage type just look more stylish. Fiddly to apply at the start, granted, but now I can do them up without any bother...practice makes perfect, I suppose. And people do notice, especially women, which is always an encouraging thing!

Comment

Shirt makers like T.M. Lewin still do shirts for cufflinks...I had a few shirts with cufflinks - faux metal ones made from chromed plastic by Reiss, but now in my 30s I look for value over 'names' and wouldn't wear them now. i also had a shirt from Top Man that had elasticated ball cuffs and again, got sick of em...I only wear casual shirts now, fitted ones.

Comment

Wearing a suit to go out

On a side note my partner who is 40 made me laugh when he said that when he was about 18 he and his mates went through a phase where they would dress in suits to go out on the town in Newcastle. I am 4 years younger and don't remember this fashion amongst the blokes at all, although with the age gap I wasn't going out to clubs at that point! Does anyone else remember doing this?
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

I'm about the same age, I never went out in dress suits but did wear shirts and ties, although only on a couple of occasions.
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                              X