Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Ingoldmells/Bridlington memories - am going insane here

Firstly I hope this thread is in the right place

Anyway, I have vague memories of two particular things that are driving me mad and would appreciate any bits of info, no matter how small.

The first one is mid to late 80s/early 90s Ingoldmells - the red BJ's amusements in particular. There were two machines side by side that I remember practically living on while I was there. IIRC, they were both red and black, kind of size and shape of pinball machines except they had moulded seats and you sat down at them. The first one was a one armed bandit type bingo game. You pulled the handle and a 2 digit number came up on the slot reel - if you had that number on your board at the back (think where the score is on a pinball machine) it lit up. If you got a line or 4 corners in a certain number of goes you won tokens/tickets. The second one looked almost identical, but on this one you had to roll balls into holes (a bit like Kentucky Derby) - if you scored enough you won tokens. This sounds mad but I swear it had Big Ben on it and it played Mussorgsky's Promenade. Also vague memories of the machine saying something like "roll the balls, beat the clock".

Secondly - A particular amusement's on Bridlington seafront - it might have been Ling's but I'm not 100%. This amusements had a tiny room that branched off from the right of the main area, and in it was a giant (well, giant to me) toadstool that you could play in. This would have been mid to late 80s.

Sorry for the essay, but these things are driving me mad and I need to exorcise some demons haha

Re: 80s Ingoldmells/Bridlington memories - am going insane here

The machine where you rolled the ball up to win tokens sounds like "Beat the Clock". I just looked for some images but couldn't find any. I know exactly which machine you are talking about though, because I once had an 'accident' involving one.

Comment

Oh you have to tell all now and yeah, all I can find is that stupid american game show Beat The Clock, grrr

Comment

I remember the roll the balls game, and the tokens. I also remember a very creepy waxworks museum with serial killers, bottled babies and a woman with a babies legs sticking out of her stomach - terrifying!

Comment

Would the waxworks have been at Bridlington? I don't remember them but I remember reading about something like that. I found this if it rings a bell http://www.joyland.co.uk/documents/waxworks.htm

Comment

Yes definitely in Bridlington, right on the sea front.

Comment

Hi you are right on all counts...My Aunt and Uncle owned the waxworks and John Lings is still going strong!! Nothing ever changes much here, well the waxworks got pulled down about 15 years ago but everything else has stayed the same.

Comment

Working...
              X