Shirts with buttons on collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirts with buttons on collars

Can anyone else recall how these used to be the rage in the late 1980s to early 1990s?! I thought they were fantastic at the time, more so the type of Shirts that I called "scrunchy" (I am sure there is another descripitive name) buyt I can not think of it sorry. Thanks for any replies.

80sChav

Re: Shirts with buttons on collars

where they just one or where the shirts you mean have more than one colour on them.

i should remember them only a pic might jog my memory.

did they have a well known name on them for example fruit of the loom.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think Ben Sherman followed this Road thinking about it on reflection but i'm unsure - can anyone else recall if they did? I know they were popular (button-wise) on the Collar and you could fasten them or not. Having them fastened or not in my are, if you went out dressed smart) earned you "The Dan" status through wearing such a Shirt anyway.

Comment

I've got a few shirts with button down collars, the most recent were by Blue Harbour from Marks & Spencer.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think Brooks Brothers in the US made them popular in the 60's and Ben Sherman copied the trend.

Comment

Never understood the sartorial need for them...its not like the collar will fly off, up, up and away! Mind you, this should have been invented with the old removable whale-bone collar that went with the 'Nehru style shirt of yore... I think...

I don't like those shirts with 2 or 3 buttons at the throat area with a really thick, higher collar...Lawrence Lewellen Bowen and Johnathan Ross wear them amongst others...I just hate them...and also shirts with white collars and cuffs and a different coloured pastel or striped shirt...yuck.

Speaking of M & S, thats where I used to buy business shirts for suits as well as suits...good value. Its silly going to 'T.M. LEWIN' or any other designer label, its all probably made in the same factories in the same countries these days, they just slap a different label and alter them a bit...

I do have a few with the button down collar though, never really wear them much now...I much prefer smart casual, fitted shirts from H & M for value...

Comment

And whats 'The Dan status'??? 'Dan'....lol

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                I think Ben Sherman followed this Road thinking about it on reflection but i'm unsure - can anyone else recall if they did? I know they were popular (button-wise) on the Collar and you could fasten them or not. Having them fastened or not in my are, if you went out dressed smart) earned you "The Dan" status through wearing such a Shirt anyway.
                What are you on about? This makes no sense at all.
                Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

I'm also not too on shirts with different coloured cuffs & collars.

Del had some in the earlier series of OF&H, & they have been in fashion more recently.

Comment

I used to wear Ben Sherman shirts to school lol.

Comment

I still wear button down collar shirts but usually only short sleeved. More often than not a gingham Ben Sherman or Fred Perry, although Maine do a nice line in them aswell. Being that I am still a dedicated follower of the skinhead fashion I supose it not the unusual to me to see people wearing them. Also sadly Ben Sherman ( the man ) actually passed away on Tuesday .. sad day ... RIP Ben
                      When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

That's sad news.

I've got a few Maine New England items from Debenhams, mostly pullovers.

Comment

i actually do have a few button down collar shirts which i did not think i had.

sad news about ben.

Comment

These kind of Shirts with Buttons on the Collar will always be trendy ..... or I hope so anyway!

I have noticed that from the 1980s that they have had an habit of returning every so many years and thankfully they always can/do retain the look/style regardless and it never fades thankfully!

80sChav

Comment

It seems some shirts dont go out of fashion they keep coming back every so often.
                              But why do they disappear i wonder.

But im glad they do come back and dont completely disappear.

Im not really one for wearing shirts with buttons and i rarely do button the top one.

Originally posted by 80schav View Post
                              these kind of shirts with buttons on the collar will always be trendy ..... Or i hope so anyway!

I have noticed that from the 1980s that they have had an habit of returning every so many years and thankfully they always can/do retain the look/style regardless and it never fades thankfully!

80schav

Comment

Working...
                              X