Mosquitoes in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquitoes in the UK?

Is it just me or wasn't there a time when we didn't have mosquitoes in the UK? It seems more common to have the awful blighters around in the Summer now than it was even back in the 1990s! I hate them....

Re: Mosquitoes in the UK?

I've heard they've lived in the London Underground tunnels (which are very damp & hot) for decades.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

They are pretty common near bodies of water. There are loads of them where some of my relatives live. They are quite infrequent here, although that doesn't stop them being annoying. I don't get bitten that often by them, I know certain people get eaten alive by them. It must be the pheromones or something that entices them to take a bite.

Comment

Nah, Scotland has always had the little ( censored )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midge
        DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Midges did cross my mind, but I didn't think they were the same.

Nasty if you get a load in your mouth when talking while having a walk in the country!

A footpath between my school & house used to have loads, along with flies from all the dog owners who used it & never cleared up afterwards.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Don't think I have had any encounters with mosquitos in this country. Midges yes but mozzies no. I did get bitten to hell in Canada though!
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I think the mosquito is the official State Bird in several American states.
              ​...or at least it should be!

Comment

I've just been bitten by one of the disgusting blighters - on the underside of my left forearm no less. I felt its 'sting' as its proboscis went in to drink my blood and promptly squished it .

On closer look at it it turned out to be one of the Asian Tiger Mosquito's (Aedes albopictus) which is one of the 5 species of mosquito in the 30 plus species found in the UK currently that aren't native to the UK itself - already its bite even for those few seconds has turned into a welt thats going to itch like mad....

The Asian Tiger Mosquito had been seen as close as Belgium and I read about it in a BBC News online report when I first posed this topic to DYR...and now I've been bitten by one. Seems they've long since made it to our shores then!

To spot one, its got a white and black striped pattern on its body and legs - bit like a zebra crossing...

Grrr.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14613140 was written in August 2011 so they've really made inbounds with their pestilential invasion eh?! Apparently, its only the females that bite - annoying cows!
                Last edited by sf1378; 24-07-2012, 23:33.

Comment

you are a mosquito expert mate i see.

ive been bitten by midgies but mosquitoes id think not.

are there any type of mosquito native to the uk.

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  I've just been bitten by one of the disgusting blighters - on the underside of my left forearm no less. I felt its 'sting' as its proboscis went in to drink my blood and promptly squished it .

On closer look at it it turned out to be one of the Asian Tiger Mosquito's (Aedes albopictus) which is one of the 5 species of mosquito in the 30 plus species found in the UK currently that aren't native to the UK itself - already its bite even for those few seconds has turned into a welt thats going to itch like mad....

The Asian Tiger Mosquito had been seen as close as Belgium and I read about it in a BBC News online report when I first posed this topic to DYR...and now I've been bitten by one. Seems they've long since made it to our shores then!

To spot one, its got a white and black striped pattern on its body and legs - bit like a zebra crossing...

Grrr.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14613140 was written in August 2011 so they've really made inbounds with their pestilential invasion eh?! Apparently, its only the females that bite - annoying cows!
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not an expert Daz, just read up on the horrid things since being bitten so much lately and thinking of this thread...the bite on my arms really BIG now - it only barely stuck its proboscis into my flesh and I'd swatted it to death - forgot to mention earlier it even left its imprint on my right palm after I'd done so .

I'd read that article before I originally created the topic but when I saw that the one that bit me last night was an Asian Tiger one I decided to add the link/add some info...

Comment

Interesting info here:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Infecti...uitoesintheUK/

Comment

The bite on my forearm is now MA -HOOO - SIVE

B--t--ds!!!!

Comment

Take some anti histamine, that'll bring it down pretty quick.
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                            Take some anti histamine, that'll bring it down pretty quick.
                            Good idea HG. I take them every day since I had hayfever come on and a rash of welts all over me caused by extreme stress once but these are pretty nifty blighters and they'll slowly clear up over the coming week I guess. However, I think I'll take an extra one in a mo.

Comment

I have to take antihistamines after any insect bite now or I get a bad reaction. This only started after a mosquito bite in Florida.
                              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                              X