Clinging on to styles of your youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinging on to styles of your youth

One thing that is amusing is to see someone who has kept the fashions of their youth for longer than they should have, not just when it was simply unfashionable but into being just too old for the look.

A few days ago I was watching something that mentioned that the Mod look was one exception to this rule, helped by it coming back into fashion about every 15 years or so.

Also someone mentioned a few weeks ago about youth cultures changing fairly frequently at times, & anyone not keeping up with the changes looking out of place.

Can anyone think of any examples they have seen recently?
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Clinging on to styles of your youth

I was at the recent Stone Roses concert and that was quite amusing with lots of 30 and 40 something's sporting the floppy hair (if they had any left), bucket hats and suede Adidas trainers. It was enough to make me wonder if many had cultivated the look purely for the gig but it didn't seem that way. I also couldn't believe that the stone roses themselves are all pushing 50!

This is something I also worry about personally! I still like the stuff I wore in my 20s but now when I throw on a t shirt with a cooky design on the front or a pair of funky trainers I think god am I too old for this now? How do you know when to stop? This could be a thread in itself!
    1976 Vintage

Comment

I used to wear flares all the time up unil 2009 - jeans, bootcuts, cordroys and then started wearing the skinny and 'spray on skinny' (super stretch fit) jeans. I still have my flared jeans and only wear them at home but some pairs I still wear into town. As I actually look about 10 or more years younger than my 34 years I can pull off the current trend of skinny jeans, trainers or ankle high boots and longer hair - its just a change I went through after a very bad break up with my ex girlfriend and my old style just reminded me of her and her former likes...

That said, the rest of my clothes are rather timeless - straight leg trews - that 1930s style, tweed jacket, pinstripe brown suit, a black blazer like Number Six in the Prisoner - I even put a No.6 proper badge on it and it does get looks in a nice way many times. I do like that 'geek chic' look that David Tennant and Matt Smith have as Dr Who and thats influence my style of clothing.

Basically, if you can pull it off, why not? However, when I do eventually look my age, it will all have to be toned down I expect.

Comment

I have seen people with the look's from being young and still being so, years later. I think though if you can get away with it, do it no qaulms. I still like my Sportswear (as I did 20 years since) to changing to slight casual a bit these day's, with nice Shirts and some lovley little Blazer's I am devloping a a habbit of buying from 2nd Hand Markets/Car Boot Sales and Vintage-Retro Shop's. Though in a way I feel this is doing thing's opposite to how Richard described, by being my Dad and Grandad, but i've always been for the Casual look because it suits so well (unless you are dining at the Ritz or visiting Castle Howard etc).

I can see no reasn why I should change - if people think i'm too old or too young for certain look's, that is their luck out I feel as long as the person conveying it is'nt over the top. I think though I am changing into a more differing taste with the Blazer and smart Polo Shirt Style look, but as I say as long as it is not over the top who should mind or say otherwise I feel/think.
        Last edited by 80sChav; 08-08-2012, 17:56.

Comment

good for you wear what you want.

i have lots of old retro style clothes there is a shop in armagh which is around 15 miles away.

it does loads of old eighties style t shirts,jumpers,trousers etc.

loads of shops like that in belfast as well.

and even if it is over the top why not wear them as long as your clothes are not see through your ok.hehe

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          I have seen people with the look's from being young and still being so, years later. I think though if you can get away with it, do it no qaulms. I still like my Sportswear (as I did 20 years since) to changing to slight casual a bit these day's, with nice Shirts and some lovley little Blazer's I am devloping a a habbit of buying from 2nd Hand Markets/Car Boot Sales and Vintage-Retro Shop's. Though in a way I feel this is doing thing's opposite to how Richard described, by being my Dad and Grandad, but i've always been for the Casual look because it suits so well (unless you are dining at the Ritz or visiting Castle Howard etc).

I can see no reasn why I should change - if people think i'm too old or too young for certain look's, that is their luck out I feel as long as the person conveying it is'nt over the top. I think though I am changing into a more differing taste with the Blazer and smart Polo Shirt Style look, but as I say as long as it is not over the top who should mind or say otherwise I feel/think.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I think have had hairstyles too, that go with fashions but I still think the same about them as I do clothes style. For as long as i'm happy with them I will be, but it defenitly worry's me about as time goes on about "may I ever another chance to continue with such styles etc"

I know what you mean Darren, about being over the top, thanks for the phrasing of it. I think i'd meant by over the top, by being wearing completley non-clean clothes etc, not anyone's particular look's/styles etc.

80sChav
            Last edited by 80sChav; 08-08-2012, 18:23.

Comment

One thing amusing is seeing people who seem to kept a style way into adulthood.

I seem to spot aging hippies every now & again, mostly because most 60ish men don't have longish hair. Women seem to merge with the "arty aunt" look that's been around for generations.

Not every fashion seems to linger like this

While it's fairly easy to spot women in their 40's with 1980s "biggish" hair (ie without all the hairspary it would have had back in the day), I've not seen any "hold over" mullets on men for a few years. Though well into the 1990s it wasn't too hard to sport a 30 something with a mullet & Sonny Crocket casual suit & slip on shoes.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Well I've still got a 'Wonderstuff' t-shirt that I bought at a concert in 1988, I wear it very rarely as it's and mine's shape has changed over the last 24 years, it says........

'The Eight Legged Groove Machine........Groovers On Manouevers'

I liked it!.

Comment

Oh I can't wait to turn into an 'arty aunt'. I really want to have that latter day hippy look when I am older, the only difference being that I have never gone for that look previously.

If I had my teenage years again I would be a goth. When I was a teenager I was too sensible and boring to adopt any sort of major look.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                  X