John cleese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John cleese

John marwood cleese was born 27th October 1939 in weston super mare somerset england.

he is an English actor, comedian, writer and film producer.

he has two daughters cynthia born 1971 with connie booth.

and camilla born 1984 with barabara trentham.

with yes minister's anthony jay he co founded video arts a production company making entertaining training films.

he has been in many films incuding harry potter and the philosophers stone, harry potter chambers of secrets as nearly headless nick.
    others such as clockwise,a fish called wanda,and fierce creatures as producer/writer.

his most famous roles are probably basil in fawlty towers and in monty python.

he was in shrek 2, shrek the 3rd, and shrek forever after voice only.
    Last edited by darren; 08-08-2012, 18:47.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: John cleese

I like his work, paricularly with Monty Python, but he doesn't come across as someone I'd particularly get on with if I ever met him (which I won't obviously)..........I prefer Michael Palin tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      with yes minister's anthony jay he [Cleese] co founded video arts a production company making entertaining training films.

Comment

Whenever I hear about Cleese, Palin, Gilliam, Jones, Chapman, Cook, Bennett, Miller etc all I think of is how they were able to go to University, for free, waste their time and end up in jobs with little or no bearing to their degrees - Cleese got a 2:1 in Law for example. Its a sign of how times have changed...also, it makes me feel a degrees not worth much really, even though I'm currently in my 3rd and final year doing Graphic Design, my first degree, in English didn't get me anywhere really...so it irks me they messed about, somehow did well academically and entered into 'satire' and 'comedy' and are now part of the very establishment they poked fun at in the first place...

Comment

I did read in one of the story of the Monty Python books that John Cleese had a choice of either a low paid starting job at a solicitors (a bit like an intern today) or a higher paying but less steady job writing for the BBC.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I did read in one of the story of the Monty Python books that John Cleese had a choice of either a low paid starting job at a solicitors (a bit like an intern today) or a higher paying but less steady job writing for the BBC.
            Thats the other thing - it seems it was a lot more easier - do do anything back in the 60s - 70s - or even earlier, look at David Lean the film director, he started as a tea boy at Gaumont Studios, and eventually became SIR David Lean...nowadays its over flowing with people trying to do the same 'get your foot in the door' job or if they're related to someone they get it asap....Cleese et al were certainly the lucky generation...

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              Whenever I hear about Cleese, Palin, Gilliam, Jones, Chapman, Cook, Bennett, Miller etc all I think of is how they were able to go to University, for free, waste their time and end up in jobs with little or no bearing to their degrees - Cleese got a 2:1 in Law for example. Its a sign of how times have changed...also, it makes me feel a degrees not worth much really, even though I'm currently in my 3rd and final year doing Graphic Design, my first degree, in English didn't get me anywhere really...so it irks me they messed about, somehow did well academically and entered into 'satire' and 'comedy' and are now part of the very establishment they poked fun at in the first place...
              The late Graham Chapman was an M.D. However, I don't know whether he was a physician or just a surgeon.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                The late Graham Chapman was an M.D. However, I don't know whether he was a physician or just a surgeon.
                alchoholic shaky hands do not make good for a surgeon

Comment

I have always liked John's acting, ever since I was young and knew of Fawlty Towers. John is in my top 3 favourite actors from the United Kingdom ever. The way John can ad-lib is amazing and to me is the hallmark of a quality actor/actress when this can be achieved, as John so often did in Fawlty Towers.

I thought as well John was brilliant in Clockwise, it is just a shame for me a 2nd Clockwise was never made i've often thought in a way. The more I think about Clockwise the more I reckontoo it could of potientaly been made in to a Comedy (not may-be set in a School), but a Comedy of a man who is always stoped doing his work like with the character (i've forgot his name - sorry).

80sChav

Comment

john is a very good actor be it a serious role such as the bond films or in comedy roles.

he is very versatile that way.

i love clockwise and a fish called wanda.
                    always watch them when they are on.

clockwise is on far more.

amazing what can happen on the way to a teachers conference.

Comment

Real Name John Cheese,
                      Loved Fawlty Towers,one of my all time favs.Had the plesure to meet him once.Worked at his house in the 90's.One of the labourers drop a brick from the scaffold onto his Bentley.Was hard not to laugh as he was running about screaming and shouting.It was just like a scene from Fawlty Towers.

Comment

John marwood cleese was born 27th October 1939 in weston super mare somerset england.
                        Actually, John Marwood CHEESE was born on the 27 October 1939 in Weston Super Mare, Somerset England!

He changed it to Cleese for his showiz career!

Edit: Damn, beaten to it...ah well, I'll leave it anyway!

Comment

john cheese really.

first time ive ever heard that.

cheers great info.

Comment

john cheese really.

first time ive ever heard that.

cheers great info.
                            Which in of itself sounds like the name of a Monty Python character.

Comment

I knew it was originally Cheese, but his Dad used Cleese when signing up for WW1 so he wouldn't be bullied.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X