Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark and Lard

STOP!...carry on.

They started together on BBC radio in 1993 but I first came across them when they presented Their afternoon show 1997-04 and loved it. Remember being very sad when their show was dropped. Loved Fat Barry White and their band The Shirehorses. I'm sure the cd is still kicking around somewhere in my house.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Mark and Lard

I used to listen to them on the graveyard shift. Highlights for me were...

The spoof songs they used to do covering popular songs at the time.

Fish or Fowl.

**** my hat.

Get to bed!

That amazing soundtrack that played them in and out.

Playing indents over each other when they were trying to say something important.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
      I used to listen to them on the graveyard shift. Highlights for me were...

The spoof songs they used to do covering popular songs at the time.

'you're gormless' to the tune of 'you're gorgeous' was a fave of mine.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I loved them - especially when they did the fake phone ins with Lard doing the same voice all the time he phoned in as someone else...

'Ahlo Maaarrkk'....he'd begin...

Comment

I was trying to remember that. It was Babybird wasn't it? I put in You're gorgeous Mark and Lard into youtube but turned up nothing.

Comment

It was some regular 'we'll chat to so and so' and it was ALWAYS Lard doing the same impression - loved it.

Anyhow, heres 'summat':

Comment

I used to listen to Mark & Lard a lot, especially when they had their 2pm to 4pm Radio 1 show. I also enjoyed Fat Harry White - I even bought the CD of his album. There were a few short-running features they did - 'Lard's Animal Sanctuary', 'Where Are They Now?' and one about vinyl record collecting which were also very good. Mark Radcliffe also seemed to champion a lot of artists I quite like as well (he still does).

I don't really get many chances to hear Mark Radcliffe these days, as I'm always at work in a musicless office when he does his 6 Music show with Stuart Maconie, but I will often listen to the podcasts of the show, and I've got him to thank for introducing me to the music of Mojave 3, The Leisure Society and Jonathon Jeramiah, to name a few.
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Loved Mark & Lard. There was a gag about Madonnas drummer being useless coz he came in too early on 'Frozen', it was supposed to be like that but it was a good gag anyway (0.31 if you're interested)

And the competions.......the prize was always five pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Five pounds. OOOO, it's a lot of cash.

Absolutely adored Mark and Lard, they got me through some rubbish times at a job I didn't enjoy, but we always had the radio on and always listened to these two.

Missing words was a particular favourite. I loved the one where Mark played "Purple Rain" by Prince and Lard said the missing word was "Helmet". Surprising what they got away with really.

Cheers,
                  Finnthedude.

Comment

I remember them on the radio very well.I was never really too sure of them when they came on in the afternoons.Too loud,too much chat and not enough music for me.Another old guy I worked with at the time always said they were mindless dribble.In a way I could relate to it.
                    My brush with them came one afternoon when over the radio I heard my name with where I worked with the words"shut up and get on with it".Apparantly one of the chaps had text them but had forgot about it.Hmmmmm........I liked them even less after that.

Comment

Working...
                    X