PDA

View Full Version : famous people we may have met

steve edwards
04-11-2006, 19:13
i have been quite lucky but i have met the guy who used to be the air raid warden ( bill pertwee) ,in dads army, i have met the late Arthur English , i have met Tony hart AND been in the gallery , met morph and his side kick , sat in and spoken to KITT car , and seen the a team van .:eek:

Smee_1972
04-11-2006, 22:25
Wow you've been in the gallery?????????? Cool!

I have met Mike McShane, Michael Palin, Nicholas Lyndhurst and once saw Edward Fox at a cashpoint.

steve edwards
05-11-2006, 20:34
yes i cant go into details for legal reasons but i was at tony harts house and believe it or not the gallery is in his back garden ( this was done for logistical reasons apparently ) the man is a genius

foxyminx
07-11-2006, 12:52
i have been quite lucky but i have met the guy who used to be the air raid warden ( bill pertwee) ,in dads army, i have met the late Arthur English , i have met Tony hart AND been in the gallery , met morph and his side kick , sat in and spoken to KITT car , and seen the a team van .:eek:

OMG you met Morph?!!!! You sat In KITT!!!!!!! Wowwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foxyminx
07-11-2006, 12:54
I`ve met Duncan Norvelle and Gary Barlow who are both lovely guys. I met Human League too, and Fil Eisler Robbie Williams guitarist in 1998.

steve edwards
07-11-2006, 13:18
yes morph is about six inches high and was up on a shelf , tony hart lovely man , sat in kitt at universal studios one year and dad managed to run out of video tape just as he said hi steve i was 18 at the time and a bit embarrased really

Buzz
14-11-2006, 21:58
I live just near Bernard Manning and see him regularly

The bloke is a true gent.

Buzz

Buzz
17-11-2006, 14:02
Whoops,

Think the above post by me has killed the thread !!

Buzz :):D

Aidan
17-11-2006, 16:22
Not so buzz, often the apparently rude celebrities are the nicest offstage - and the reverse is true too...

Stockcarfan
27-11-2006, 02:09
Met Jon Pertwee in 1973 (still have autographed 1973 Dr Who annual).:cool:

Met Lucy Pargeter in (Chaz Dingle Emmerdale) August 3rd this year and had pics taken with her and her husband Rudi. i saw them a month later to get the pics signed.:)

julie and david
27-11-2006, 13:04
ive met The Damned

armchair_scouse
06-12-2006, 04:50
I too have been lucky with meeting some celebrities. I was introduced to Steve Davis and nearly managed to get a frame of 9-ball pool against him. I've met Jimmy White twice, once at a Matchroom pool event (same one where I met Steve Davis) and the other time in Riley's Snooker Hall In Clapham Junction (if it's still there - I doubt it). Both Steve and Jimmy were very friendly and down to earth - you don't always get that when you see or meet famous people.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, the older sister of one of my friends took me and my friend to Carshalton (I think, though might have been Mitcham) to visit Crystal Palace's training ground. This was back in 1976, and the manager was a chap called Terry Venables. I was the only person to get his autograph that day(!!) just because I was right at the back of the crowd trying to get his autograph and thus was the last obstacle to him getting in the pavilion/changing rooms. He pushed through the crowd of autograph hunters, and they parted like the Red Sea, leaving this solitary 8-year old (me) looking up at him very nervously!! He grabbed my book and pen out of my hand, signed his name, returned them and disappeared into the pavilion. Whilst there, I also got the autographs of most of the team, including a few that some of you (of a certain vintage) may remember - Kenny Sansom, Vince Hilaire, John Burridge. For some reason I even got the autograph of a sports reporter who was there, a guy called John Helm who worked for Radio 2. No idea where he is these days.

I have seen a few other celebs up close (without meeting them). Edward Fox, Barry Foster (Van der Valk), Keith Chegwin, Maggie Philbin, Anita Harris, some of the Wombles (Great Uncle Bulgaria, Tobermory, Orinoco), Patrick Mower, Roy Hudd, the designer John Richmond. I saw Leslie Ash's wedding photos - she married Lee Chapman and their best man was Adrian Heath. The reason I was able to see them was that Leslie Ash's parents used to run a decorating store across the road from where I worked and they knew some of the people I worked with, and left the photos for them to view.

I also had an 'encounter' with Paul McCartney (there was a traffic jam in Wardour Street and I was trying to cross the road through the traffic, I went alongside a car that had darkened windows, suddenly the front passenger window opened and Paul McCartney's head popped out, narrowly missing headbutting me in the stomach!!).

I saw Sir David Steel campaigning up in Scotland (when he was still just David Steel - back in 1985/6). A few years later I saw that he was doing a book signing in a store near where I worked. I bought his book ('Against Goliath'), queued up to get it signed and told him the story. He very kindly inscribed the book with the name of the place that I saw him: 'With memories of Monreith House'. What a nice man!

Oggy
10-12-2006, 15:33
Go Armchair, seems you've mingled with a few stars.

MrWisty
11-01-2007, 02:12
I`ve met Duncan Norvelle and Gary Barlow who are both lovely guys. I met Human League too, and Fil Eisler Robbie Williams guitarist in 1998.

I am going to meet Duncan Norvelle at the Parkside Hotel in Pontefract on Friday 26 January 2007 Tel: 01977 709911 :D

Oggy
11-01-2007, 10:17
Sad i think, but we all have our heroes.......if heroes is the right word for Duncan.

sixtyten
13-01-2007, 02:38
Nope..

Oggy
13-01-2007, 21:18
exactly my thoughts too Daz, maybe a thread of words for, or to describe him?

bumblelady
17-01-2007, 14:13
i see manly soap characters, they all park up where i work then hop on a plane, they all seem quite erm, well..... normal.

Oggy
17-01-2007, 15:16
Well suppose they all are really, just some seem aloof when you her or read about them, good o see you back Bumblekins x

grubsmum
27-01-2007, 07:53
The famous people I've met:

Elton John (got a photo with him back in 1985)
Billy Joel
Howard Jones
Nik Kershaw :(
Tears for Fears
Mondo Rock :D (awesome Aussie band from the 80's)
Midge Ure
Paul Young
Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet (I was in a music quiz team with him and we won!!)
Sam, Mark and Caroline from TMi - BBC2 Saturday morning kids show (that was only a couple of weeks ago with my 9 year old son - who was one of the rummagers on Loot Machine and did a conga line around Leicester Square - with his exhausted mum and dad :o ) - they were all really lovely too
Devon and Chris from Hollyoaks - also at the TMi studio
Johnny Cash (the original Man in Black)

And best of all.........
Peter Cox and Richard Drummie from Go West (more times than I can count....so often in fact that Richard now comes up to me to give me a hug when he sees me!)........they are THE NICEST BLOKES ON THE PLANET.....offstage and onstage....I guess that's why I'm so loyal to them. :)

I have pics of me with lots of the people I've met....is there anywhere on the site where I can post them?

Trish

Oggy
27-01-2007, 09:38
wow, gulp, i'm, very impressed:o

Aidan
29-01-2007, 13:09
It was only after Steve Davis lost the '85 Snooker Final to Dennis Taylor that it emerged what a genuinely nice guy and good sport Steve is. Everyone likes him since then.

Oggy
29-01-2007, 14:51
yep jhe seems to like alaugh and joke, good on him....and found a sense of humor too.

Dark Helmet
29-01-2007, 16:05
:mad: David Bowie in Milton Keynes - Back stage pass won on Piccadilly radio :D
Vera and Jack(Bill Tarmy), Fred from corri
Edward Woodward
Henry Cooper
Liz Hurley
Alex Higgins <-- Did not like him one bit :mad:

solatude
12-05-2007, 16:07
I once met Hulk Hogan in a hotel lobby on the Wirral in 2006, i was in awe he was huge about 7ft tall but very nice.Got my pic taken with him but had my camera stolen a few weeks later:mad: .

HG
13-05-2007, 00:02
Alan wells - just for you solatude

Rolf harris when our schiool was on Rolf on TV
Ronnie Corbett - British Open 1987
Roy Keane goes in my local

sue webster
14-05-2007, 14:50
hi i have met tony soper, diane louise johnson, richard bacon , liz barker, tony juniper, bill oddie, simon groom, iolo williams, david bellamy , and a few others and proud to say that david bellamy is a friend of mine too! sue;)

Finkledink
16-05-2007, 14:01
i remember queuing up to see timmy mallet for ages when he came to our town.

he "was" a legend

sixtyten
16-05-2007, 14:39
Er.. no, he "was" a bellend.:p

Finkledink
16-05-2007, 15:47
No Daz, he "was" a legend, I can now see that he IS a bellend

lel
16-05-2007, 18:35
I met Macca and Mrs Macca back in the late 80's, he was the nicest person, posed for photos, signed album covers and gave me hats, t shirt and guitar badge, even joined them back stage for a few veggie tasties :o)

diggermac
19-05-2007, 09:27
I was on Tiswas when I was a kid. I was in the cage and got flanned!

Heather74
19-05-2007, 09:57
:cool: way cool digger:cool:

diggermac
20-05-2007, 08:22
cheers Heather - it was! I remember Sally James was really nice, but Chris Tarrant didnt say much but they were all really busy!

SG1973
23-05-2007, 13:39
I'm so cool - check out the A list celebrities I've met over the years:

Timmy Mallett - he gave me a half eaten pork pie at a swimming gala he was judging!
John Craven - from Newsround fame.
Julie Goodyear - saw her on my first day at work when I was 15.
Bobby Ball - He came in my shop last year to ask directions to a studio.
Clint Boon - from Inspiral Carpets. Got his autograph and he even drew the Inspirals cow as well !!!
Mark Lamaar - wasn't too impressed when I called him a fifties throwback a la Shooting Stars - he swore at me!!!

Now, with showbiz connections like these I'm bound to be the next big thing... not :p

macdaddymac
27-05-2007, 14:54
Played a game of snooker with dennis taylor, he won! :p

Moomin Dave...
04-06-2007, 15:05
It was only after Steve Davis lost the '85 Snooker Final to Dennis Taylor that it emerged what a genuinely nice guy and good sport Steve is. Everyone likes him since then.

Steve has always been interesting, he has an awesome collection of northern soul, jazz and psych on vinyl. Top man! :cool:

danbakuk
20-06-2007, 19:18
While working at Butlins i have met a few Famous and not so famous people...

Garry Wilmott....he just popped into the shop i was working in
Rolph Harris...told me off for smoking:cool:
Keith Harris...had a drink and a smoke with him
The Grumble weeds...did merchandising for them selling DVDs and Cd's
stephen mulhern... in jumpin jaks at minehead
bucks fizz
steps....merchandising
s club 7....had to take them a full crate of bud
Dj Otzi (hey hey baby, i want to know....) he did the smash hits tour and was randomly in the bog

Loads of others i will have a think and post them later

sixtyten
21-06-2007, 16:39
Can this include people we see in the street?;)
As I've just seen Nick Berry in the BP Garage,
and saw Christopher Ellison (Burnside in The Bill) last week
Both famous Hove dwellers
(Oh, and Chris Ewbank in his truck last week as well,by you see him most days:rolleyes:)

Heather74
21-06-2007, 16:41
you are going to have to start carrying that camera, with you all the time :)
way cool.

sixtyten
21-06-2007, 16:48
Oh, I forgot..I saw David Van Day (dollar) a few weeks ago too..:p

Heather74
21-06-2007, 16:51
Brighton's the place of star's huh, Way:cool:
Ever seen that Pete bloke frome Big brother?:eek::eek: Bet you would run in the other direction! :D

sixtyten
21-06-2007, 16:53
Brighton's the place of star's huh, Way
Ever seen that Pete bloke frome Big brother? Bet you would run in the other direction! :DI'd only be running after I'd punched the cretin on the nose:D

Hardly stars, none of them have been on TV in the last 5 years!:D

Heather74
21-06-2007, 16:54
:p:D:p LOL

Buzz
21-06-2007, 17:34
Oh, I forgot..I saw David Van Day (dollar) a few weeks ago too..:p

Shouldnt that be David Burger Van Day?

Buzz

stevef
21-06-2007, 20:34
As I've just seen Nick Berry in the BP Garage
I bet Heather's got some Nick Berry records tucked away alongside the Rick Astley ones.:p;):D

Heather74
22-06-2007, 11:18
:eek: I have no idea what you are talking about...... walks away humming "every Loser wins".....:p

Aidanagain
24-06-2007, 16:41
Met Richard E Grant in a supermarket near Covent Garden in March - don't ask me what was in his basket ( he didn't look into mine anyway...).

guitarorchestra
27-06-2007, 04:22
Met Robert Plant & Jimmy Page at various points in their careers. thats about my high point :)

janw2000
28-06-2007, 23:45
Ive met john pertwee once when i was working in smiths in Cardiff, He asked me where the pencil sharpeners were, i was bending down at the time and he made me jump, he sounded just like worzel gummige and hes really tall, normally i should have taken the customers to the right aisle, but i just sort of pointed and muttered over there. See colin jackson all the time shopping in tescos, or marks & spencers, seen him in asda too, also seen that woman from driving school in asda, cant remember her name thou, im sure someone will tell me. And we met rick waller in benidorm, walking down the street towards us, well you could hardly miss him, he is huge in real life ,we had a photo taken with him , he can really sing thou, as we seen him perform , the following night.

Morcar
15-10-2007, 16:16
Met a few comedians when I was in Blackpool. You know end of the pier guys.

Little and Large (before they fell out) were very friendly. Sid asked me if Eddie would fit in the ride I was working on :D.

Ken Dodd - Very nice guy.

Les Dawson - Quiet but pleasant.

Cannon & Ball - Friendly.

DoubleAgent
17-10-2007, 21:54
Met a few comdians when I was in Blackpool. You know end of the peir guys.

Little and Large (before they fell out) were very freindly Sid asked me if Eddie would fit in the ride I was working on :D.

Ken Dodd - Very nice guy.

Les Dawson - Quiet but pleasant.

Cannon & Ball - Friendly.

Huh? Cannon was the most miserable b**t*rd I've ever met - I was 10 and was waiting for an autograph and all he did was shout "GET OFF THE CAR!!!" I was lightly touching it. He deserves his many years in the wilderness

sixtyten
17-10-2007, 22:01
:D can't see their brand of purile humour making a comeback
(but stranger things have happened:eek:)

jolima71
18-10-2007, 10:52
I'm so cool - check out the A list celebrities I've met over the years:

Timmy Mallett - he gave me a half eaten pork pie at a swimming gala he was judging!
John Craven - from Newsround fame.
Julie Goodyear - saw her on my first day at work when I was 15.
Bobby Ball - He came in my shop last year to ask directions to a studio.
Clint Boon - from Inspiral Carpets. Got his autograph and he even drew the Inspirals cow as well !!!
Mark Lamaar - wasn't too impressed when I called him a fifties throwback a la Shooting Stars - he swore at me!!!

Now, with showbiz connections like these I'm bound to be the next big thing... not :p

I'm not suprised 1 bit and your lucky he only swore at you, shame some people are so small minded :rolleyes:

kass
11-11-2007, 20:16
Met Showaddywaddy a number of times in the 70s. My sister was the fan (honest)

Monkey Tennis
16-02-2008, 08:00
In July 1972 Muhammad Ali fought Al 'Blue' Lewis in Dublin.
My Mum pushed me in my buggy to meet the champ.
I was a few months old but I had long blond hair...well Muhammad Ali tickles me under the chin and says to my Mum
"what a cute little girl" my Mums says it's a boy and Muhammad Ali says "well he's still pretty"

Well that was my 15 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li2k6e-5Mio
youtube video Ali interviewed in Ireland

Aidanagain
16-02-2008, 13:27
Nobby Stiles was in Waterford, Ireland, as a guest speaker lately. Went into the hotel lobby to shake hands & got his signature. Nicer guy off the field than he was on it 40yrs. ago !

ziksby
25-02-2008, 15:37
I've met a few over the years .....

GENE VINCENT at the Malvern Winter Gardens in 1961 (yes a little too early for the youngsters on this forum) ... here's his autograph ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ziksby/GeneVincentauto.jpg

CHARLIE WATTS at a bookfair in Harborne, Birmingham .... his autograph

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ziksby/charliewattsauto.jpg

DENNIS THATCHER ... sat next to me at board meetings of Zodiac Toys ... he was a director of parent company.

More recently SIR PATRICK MOORE ... stayed at his house in Selsey in 2005 and last year went to his 50th anniversary bash of Sky at Night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/ziksby/eSelsey-bCheers.jpg

And a merry time was had by all ... as you can see from the glasses and bottles ... I'm right front, with Patrick and one of his carers on the left (he's not very mobile now) and 3 of my council colleagues from the Society for the History of Astronomy. This was taken in his study as those who have ever watched Sky at Night will know. The place is crammed with books and memorabilia.

stevef
25-02-2008, 19:04
:cool:

jolima71
25-02-2008, 20:15
Wow you have gene Vincents Autograph, i'm only 36 but know gene vincent love his music too:)

ZipperCat
01-03-2008, 10:57
Kathy Staff

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/PocusPossum/Misc/kathystaffautograph.jpg

At a fundraising do for the Prince of Wales Hospice (http://www.pwh.org.uk/), sometime in the mid 1990s.

Charlie Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Williams_%28comedian%29)
Met briefly at Pontefract Castle Gala, as a boy. (Me, not him;) ) Didn't get his autograph but he did say "'Ey up lad" in a friendly fashion then went on his way.:)

yelever
20-03-2008, 08:58
Ok here`s my list

Spoke to Lonnie Gordon on the phone last year
Told Windsor Davis to f*** off outside my school (his daughter was in the same class as my sister and I was only 6)
Met Michael Barrymore when I was drunk (way before all the scandal)

Sort of met,
My sister used to clean Harry Secombe`s house
I personally know Patrick Macnee`s brother

tantopat
21-03-2008, 15:09
I met Tony Hart at an autograph signing when I was really little, and one of the Gladiators (I can't remember which one, possibly Zodiac) opened one of my school's festivals, so I got her autograph, and Mum chatted with her for a bit. :) I've also met Rick Wakeman a few times, as he's a friend of my godfather, and through him I've met his manager, Ant Glynne, Ashley Holt, and the members of Yes after one of their concerts (except Steve Howe, who had to leave early. I saw him in the car behind my Dad's after the show, though).

More recently, I met Danny John-Jules, Matthew Lewis, Sean Schemmel and Veronica Taylor at a convention a few years back. Also, I got to chat and hang out with the cast and crew of the short-lived Blue Man Group show in London, when they let me spend the day in the theatre to get notes for a college project I was doing about the group. They were so sweet, and the Blue Men were all very funny! ^-^

frame
20-12-2008, 22:28
ive talked to quite a few celebs, they appear in my local,some of them dont look how they do on tv, except people like chris evans (didnt know he was so tall) my town seems to be the place to be if your in the southwest, I think its because we dont bother them much ,just let them enjoy their holiday

Mulletino
30-12-2008, 07:23
I went to see Rolf Harris at the Sydney Opera House the other week as i'm a massive fan of the fella. I was happy enough to just have been able to sing along with the choruses to his songs but after the show my mate said we should hang around the stage door. After a while Rolf came along and sat inside while we were allowed in to chat with him and take some photos, this is the same grin I had on me face the whole way through his show:

http://www.mattys.net/OAPS/rolf/electricfinger.jpg

He's a real legend, not many performers nowadays would take the time to do that especially at 78 years old!. He even gave my missus* a peck on the cheek!

(*she's even met James Brown)

culnara
13-01-2009, 18:56
Met Norman Wisdom at the Isle of man tt in 2007

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/culnara/MGP0320with20Norman20Wisdom.jpghttp://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/culnara/3185847_tml.jpg

Cat Weazle
26-01-2009, 16:48
Well... were to start??

Workwise..
Jeremy Beadle (very nice man, God bless)
Shane Richie (bellend), Colleen his missus and the kids... great...
Christopher Lee (met at a party at pinewood studios, bit of an ****)
Russell Brand (used to sulk alot at my house, many moons ago)
Ray Harryhausen (The godfather of Claymation effects...Sinbad ahoy,, talks for hours...)
Paul Gambaccini - Nice Bloke
Paul Daniels - Very nice block
Ian Lavine - "First Take that record Producer"
Simon Harris - You know.. Bass... how low can you go.... Classic
Brian Harvey and Danni Westbrook (when they were one)
Graham Gold.
Rolf Harris - This man should be knighted, he is excellent....
Bruce Lee's butler
others....

Non Work.
Fatima Whitbread (but hasn't everyone?)
Duncan Goodhew
Christopher Biggins.. (told me to F**k off when I was 7 years old)
Arthur Mullard.. Y'us my dear
Chubby Brown
Robbie
Jason Orange

Apart from the odd one or two most people are the same as us, if not a little insecure and self critical.

Teejay
11-04-2009, 00:14

I've met Linford Christie, John Regis, Roger Black, Sally Gunnell, Daley Thompson (swoon!) Kris Akabussi (I went to his party when he retired from athletics) had dinner with Sharron Davies and Derrick Redmond, met Steve Cram, Fatima Whitbread. Went to Buck House when Mum got an MBE and seriously harrassed Lennox Lewis and I chased Nigel Benn down the street in Soho as he was coming out of a record shop!! Also been on Trisha (in the audience) met her when I gobbed off at a girl on the stage. Hey - I sent a picture to Tony Harts gallery and he didn't show it. Also wrote to Jim'll Fixit to see if he'd fix it for me to go on the Generation Game. Jim didn't fix sh*t for me!! I saw the car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I'd much rather have spoken to KITT though......LOL!:) Oooh, saw John Virgo in a chippy in Aldershot and Robson/Jerome (don't know which one - the dark haired one) running down the street in Aldershot when they were filming Soldier Soldier.

By the way Steve - how can you "meet" Morph? He was nowt but a squidged up lump of putty!! As was his sidekick "Chas" Didn't they die in a house fire or something? Aaaaaw.

Teejay
11-04-2009, 09:56
Well... were to start??

Graham Gold.
Rolf Harris - This man should be knighted, he is excellent....

Fatima Whitbread (but hasn't everyone?)
Christopher Biggins.. (told me to F**k off when I was 7 years old)
Chubby Brown

I met Graham Gold's girlfriend many years ago in the toilets of the Coliseum nightclub in Vauxhall, she was really miserable and was running him down to me really badly telling me what an a**e he is. Also saw Rozalla in those toilets.

Yes Rolf Harris should be knighted - let's start a petition!! Do you know what it is yet?...

I met Fatima Whitbread too, as you say - who hasn't? She's met more people than the POPE! LOL!

Why did Biggins tell you to F off? That's hilarious!

And Chubby Brown? He's my hero!! Went to see him in Blackpool last year and I'm still laughing! His autobiography is fantastic too.

branny
11-04-2009, 11:43
Oooh, saw John Virgo in a chippy in Aldershot and Robson/Jerome (don't know which one - the dark haired one) running down the street in Aldershot when they were filming Soldier Soldier.

John Virgo grew up 2 streets away from my Mum in Salford and they knew each other when they were younger. His Mum still lived in the same house when I was a kid in the 70's. She was a very nice woman but was getting on a bit then so i'd be surprised if she's still around. My Mum worked in Cardshops on Salford precinct in the 70's and John Virgo came in. He recognised her straight away and let on.

F1fangirl
22-07-2011, 21:40
I had my picture taken with Roy Castle when I was about 9. He came to our Sunday School (can't remember why) and the pic was in the local paper. I walked past the guy who used to play Josh in Casualty and sat next to Peter Armitage (Bill Webster) in our local chippy and I used to go to school with a couple of the guys from Terrorvision (although they were a couple of years older than me)

sweep
23-07-2011, 15:38
Almost run over Bill Tarmey a couple of years ago in Sainsburys car park if that counts he was so busy reading something he walked right in front of me. i also remember back in the 70s when shopping with my mum in Hyde Fine Fare Tony Booth came up to us and asked if we had seen his wife he and Pat Phoenix were often in there. i often see Corrie stars past and present but cant say ive ever really met them

Trickyvee
24-07-2011, 13:54
I saw Michael Portillo yesterday. He was at a mining museum in Ashington, filming something for the telly.

vanhelsing
25-07-2011, 23:54
I remember telling Johnny Ball I used to watch him on they telly when I was a Kid in the Manchester Arndale Centre.

Agnetha352
26-07-2011, 16:18
I saw Derek Dougan, former Wolves FC legend opening a local fete in 1969.
I met Ronnie Barker at a book signing in 1977.
Billy Wright and Dave Hill from Slade passed me in the street.
I served Don Goodman (ex Wolves) with coffee.
I met Terry Pratchett at a book signing in 1993.
I have met Chris Chittell ('Eric Pollard' from 'Emmerdale'). Absolutely top geezer!
I have met former Olympian Chris Brasher.
I have met Andy Taylor from Duran Duran. His wife is my boss's daughter. A very intelligent, decent man is Andy.
I know Gary Williams (formerly of Aston Villa) and Adrian Littlejohn (formerly of West Brom) personally.

dwain-dibley
27-07-2011, 08:22
the first famous person i ever met was the late great brian connolly from the sweet way back in 1974 in edinburgh. 2 years later i met the very talented and highly missed bon scott from ac/dc in a bar after a show at caley cinema 76. through the years i was lucky enough to work as a doorman at a major scottish concert venue and met many people i.e elton john {funny guy} eric clapton {too serious} david coverdale {loves a beer or three} ritchie blackmore {like drawing teeth to get him to say hello but still an idol of mine} bon jovi {whole band in a bar in edinburgh before a support slot at edinburgh odeon just as slippery when wet was taking of very nice guys} bruce springsteen {very clever man and very polite} and i also met bon scott again in 1978 on the powerage tour when they stayed at the royal scot hotel got my denim jacket singed by band but lost it a few years later at another show {damn} .. there were a lot of others but these were just a few of the top of my head........rock on

Agnetha352
27-07-2011, 19:35
Bruce Springsteen is fantastic, Dwain! And rock music is brilliant.

onthebusesfan
30-10-2011, 21:00
i met billie piper
dick and dom
paul young
lulu
my dads met lee evans freddie FLINTOFF.
paul daniels

willpurry
30-10-2011, 22:14
My aunt was taken to meet William Milbourne James when he was an old man. Oh yes, he was Bubbles in Millais' painting.

Roxxy
13-11-2011, 19:55
I've been told that I was nursed as a baby by Cleo Laine (who was a distant friend of my grandmother) and also by Fenella Fielding- both ladies were pregnant with their own babies at the time. When little I also apparently met Lesley Judd, though I remember it not.
I've also met actor Simon Callow, nearly run over Sarah Crowe when she was crossing our high street about 10 years ago (she was appearing at the local theatre, and one of her high heels snapped as she was crossing the road), spent a pleasant evening with Hazel O'Connor (nice girl but a prima donna, and obsessed with her Irish roots), had a drink with former BBC reporter Martin Bell, and also met John Simpson (charm itself!), Don MacLean, the late Mike D'abo (VERY nice man), the even later Sir Michael Foot, comedian Russell Howard (an ego with a person attached to it), authors Sheridan le Fanu and Phil Rickman, Maddy Prior from Steeleye Span (a lovely lady) and once saw Jimmy Saville jogging past a 'phone box I was in, though we never actually met.
There are other 'genre' celebs I've encountered, mostly from the world of folk music, regional media or various protest movements, though few people outside of these areas would have heard of them. Regarding famous persons from the anti-nuclear movement, suffice it to say that the less said about most of them, the better....

ncpcov
13-11-2011, 23:42
ha ha - my "famous" people are not really that famouse.
Warrior and lightning (unfortunately not Jet!) off the 90s Gladiators TV Show and Bruno Brookes - at the same hotel in coventry.
There were a few other even more obscure people there that I cannot recall.
Spoke to them all, Gladiator was like a giant (6'5" about 20 stone)
Thats it - never really met anyone "REALLY" famous at all.

Retrogames
12-02-2012, 17:50
My Dad and Grandad worked in TV and on films so I met loads of people during childhood. The nastiest (great place to start!) we're Jim Davison and Charles Hawtry, both absolutely disgusting to kids. The nicest were Anita Harris, Mickey Dolenz, and Jane Seymour, all three read me stories and happily took me around sets. My Dad got really friendly with Richard Thomas aka John Boy Walton and we used to go to LA for holidays and stay with him and his family. Back in the early 80s he was mega famous in the US, going to Disneyland with him was an incredible experience, mobbed all day with people saying lovely things to him. It was a great time, when American stars were over here filming they'd get lonely and bored so Dad would invite them over for tea or up for the weekend, I got serious kudos from my mates and we were always getting amazing 'thank you' packages sent from the US.

Retrogames
12-02-2012, 17:54
Forgot to say it's actually quite scary looking back as a number of our visitors have been done for pedophilia! Fortunately my parents were knowledgeable about such things and wouldn't let us kids go off with anyone. Many victims of celebs seem to have been procured from parents impressed by celebs who think that a day out to the zoo or a drive in the country with a celeb would be a great thing for their youngster to experience :/

Rail Rider
10-05-2012, 20:42
i have met David Bellany who is a personal friend of mine also chris packham, bill oddie, janet sumner, mike dilger,jonny kingdom, simon king, kate humble, andy williams, katie hill from blue peter and richard bacon, howie watkins from really wild show, iolo williams . probably forgotten one or two more but guess this is enough!

sf1378
10-05-2012, 21:30
Forgot to say it's actually quite scary looking back as a number of our visitors have been done for pedophilia! Fortunately my parents were knowledgeable about such things and wouldn't let us kids go off with anyone. Many victims of celebs seem to have been procured from parents impressed by celebs who think that a day out to the zoo or a drive in the country with a celeb would be a great thing for their youngster to experience :/

:eek: Can you tell us who? If thats okay? And how did Davidson and Hawtrey behave so nastily to you? Did you ever meet mega famous actors like Clint Eastwood or Richard Burton or Roger Moore?

sf1378
10-05-2012, 22:07
Oh, people I've seen (as I never really like to disturb them) have been:

Tom Baker (chatting on his phone as I walked by him),
Katie Puchtrick (got off my tube train),
Clive Anderson,
Anthony Stuart Head (same carriage, sat opposite me on the Tube he is big and tall!),
Alan Yentob (walking down the train aisle),
Siobhan Redmond (kept seeing her on my trains from work and in Liberty's of London),
Kate O Mara (post recent plastic surgery),
Natalie Imbruglia (with her minders),
Bill Oddie (munching a baguette bought from Regents St Pret A Manger),
Graham Garden (smoking a fag when he'd been making Body Matters around the same time advocating quitting lol),
Paul Young, (singing a song loudly - seemed like he wanted attention),
Martin Freeman, (he's shorter in real life),
Diana Coupland,
Sinead Cusack (walked past me on Regents St),
Denise Van Outen (same as above, she was dressed in really casual clothes, this was shortly after Jay Kay from Jammiroqual dumped her, she looked unhappy too),
Leslie Philips (on the other train going to Bristol Temple Meads as mine was going to London, he was chatting to himself - he was sat alone!),
Jeff Banks (stood by the buffet area on the train I was on),
Dale Winton (he made me laugh - he hailed a London Cab in the most dramatic fashion possible),
Rob Brydon (walking into a voice recording/pr studio type place, very short man too),
Diane Parish (Denise in Eastenders, shes really, really short too! She was with this very tall fella - in a clothes shop off Regents St I was in),
Amita Dhiri (was in This Life and The Bill, she was with her kids and a friend crossing the road in London as I was on my way back to work),

They stuck in my mind...I'd clock them and think, thats so and so etc but never want to chat to them, you never know the reaction you may get so I don't risk it.

I do recall seeing Sally Knyvette from Blakes 7/Emmerdale many years after her fame had passed in the Regent St French Connection (my Uni was nearby so I was always about that area) and she was being really pre-maddonnaish with a put upon sales girl and I really didn't like that - the salesgirl was very upset by her manner. Its one of the main reasons I don't really talk to famous or famousish folk.

DemonEyeX
11-05-2012, 20:30
The nastiest (great place to start!) we're Jim Davison
No surprises there then, what a horrible excuse for a human being, horrible !

Tom Baker (chatting on his phone as I walked by him),
Katie Puchtrick (got off my tube train),
Clive Anderson,
Anthony Stuart Head (same carriage, sat opposite me on the Tube he is big and tall!),
Alan Yentob (walking down the train aisle),
Siobhan Redmond (kept seeing her on my trains from work and in Liberty's of London),
Kate O Mara (post recent plastic surgery),
Natalie Imbruglia (with her minders),
Bill Oddie (munching a baguette bought from Regents St Pret A Manger),
Graham Garden (smoking a fag when he'd been making Body Matters around the same time advocating quitting lol),
Paul Young, (singing a song loudly - seemed like he wanted attention),
Martin Freeman, (he's shorter in real life),
Diana Coupland,
Sinead Cusack (walked past me on Regents St),
Denise Van Outen (same as above, she was dressed in really casual clothes, this was shortly after Jay Kay from Jammiroqual dumped her, she looked unhappy too),
Leslie Philips (on the other train going to Bristol Temple Meads as mine was going to London, he was chatting to himself - he was sat alone!),
Jeff Banks (stood by the buffet area on the train I was on),
Dale Winton (he made me laugh - he hailed a London Cab in the most dramatic fashion possible),
Rob Brydon (walking into a voice recording/pr studio type place, very short man too),
Diane Parish (Denise in Eastenders, shes really, really short too! She was with this very tall fella - in a clothes shop off Regents St I was in),
Amita Dhiri (was in This Life and The Bill, she was with her kids and a friend crossing the road in London as I was on my way back to work),

Impressive list,
You've got two thirds of the Goodies, One Brooke-Taylor & you get the hat trick.

sf1378
11-05-2012, 22:36
Impressive list,
You've got two thirds of the Goodies, One Brooke-Taylor & you get the hat trick.

Yes, I was thinking something like that when I was typing it all out...:eek: I'll post it here if I do ever catch sight of the man.

My Dads seen:

Roy Castle - smiled at my Dad as he was coming out of a chemists in Maidenhead my Dad was going into (proves he was a nice guy),
Kenneth Moore - Dad saluted him as he was driving his Rolls Royce and he did likewise!
Prince Phillip - he clocked my Dad as he was in my Town and smiled at him,
Dean Martin - he was in his Cadillac and its number plate was 'DRUNKY' - He also saluted my Dad and Dad did likewise....lol, this was in Los Angeles in the early 1980s,
My Dad literally met Patrick McNee of the Avengers - found the autograph in an old autograph book....,

My Mum met Jimmy Saville when she was in hospital at Stoke Manderville, he used to visit the patients and chat with them...

xmark1234
22-10-2013, 18:57
ive met freddie star and my all time best fishing person john wilson got a pic of me and him somewhere it was great talking to him than watching on the tv

victorbrunswick
22-10-2013, 19:47
My Mum met Jimmy Saville when she was in hospital at Stoke Manderville, he used to visit the patients and chat with them...

That was a narrow escape if all he did was chat. :eek:

DemonEyeX
23-10-2013, 03:19
I've met loads of famous hip hop artists.
Although they're only famous if you're interested in hip hop (which most of you aren't).
I also know a fair few people in well known punk bands (but most of you seem to dislike punk too).
I have also met quite a few famous pro wrestlers (again, not popular on here).
Also a few more well known musicians, but again, only in various circles.
I know, I know, i'm not impressing anybody.

I have friends who know some incredibly famous people who you will all have heard of, but I myself am still a link in the chain away.

OK, how about Dave Prowse aka Darth Vader, he's famous, i've met him.
But considering that he visited thousands of schools as the Green Cross Code man that's probably even less impressive.
OK, i'm shutting up.

victorbrunswick
23-10-2013, 09:58
​Tom Hanks
I took this pic in November 1995 during the filming of "That Thing You Do." A few days before I had walked right by him and didn't realise who it was.

http://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1375702_219255291583470_1349314983_n.jpg

xmark1234
23-10-2013, 12:40
oh ive met some off the stars off eastenders if walking past them down london counts

Jedi Knight
14-07-2014, 11:07
Dave Prowse (Darth Vader).

Met him, shook his hand, quick chat etc. Have a photo of it somewhere...Legend!

Anthony Daniels (C-3PO)

Ray Park (Darth Maul)

Also bumped into Jenson Button at Heathrow airport in 2009, we were taking the same flight to Japan, although I was not in first class! (he won the championship that year).

john h
14-07-2014, 16:43
I met The Seekers in Sheffield after their 25th Reunion show in 1995, met Al Martino on his final UK tour in 2008, also met Esther Rantzen and Anita Harris at a Matt Monro book launch in 2011 and had my photo taken with both, and also Buddy Greco at the same event.

Mulletino
15-07-2014, 01:44
I've met loads of famous hip hop artists.
Although they're only famous if you're interested in hip hop (which most of you aren't).
I also know a fair few people in well known punk bands (but most of you seem to dislike punk too).

I'd be interested, are they new Hip Hop artists or old school ones?

I've met a couple of old schoolers from the late 80s/early 90s.

I suppose i'd best add some different ones seeing as my last one will probably be erased from history now.....

These are ones i've spoken to:

Tom Baker
Michael Sheard
Frank Skinner
Zoe Ball
Smiley (from Smiley's people and Spaced)
Zammo
Roland Browning
Dave Prowse (he was judging a Star Wars fancy dress compo at a toy shop)
Buster Bloodvessel (and some of the band - a mate used to guest for them sometimes)
Stereo MCs (jumped out on the skinny bloke when we were recording at a studio)
PM Dawn
There are more but my memory is fading.

I have met quite a few "modern" celebs too through my Mrs' work, they're all Australian ones so you wouldn't know many, maybe Gotye? the guy who sang "Somebody You Used to Know", but my Mrs has met far more than me, including Danni Minogue, Ed Sheeran, The twins from Good Charlotte, tripod, are just some of them.

Twocky61
26-08-2017, 12:27
Suzi Quatro Gloucester Leisure Centre '78

zabadak
29-08-2017, 13:49
Gary Numan at a book signing in the Virgin Megastore in London and John Toshack outside a supermarket in Sketty, near Swansea :)

Twocky61
29-08-2017, 13:52
John Pertwee who played Dr Who came to our school in the 70's. I have no idea the reason for his visit be he signed our autograph book

John also played Worzel Gommidge in the TV series of the same name alongside Una Stubbs who played Aunt Sally

staffslad
29-08-2017, 17:04
The closest I have gotten is meeting Tom Coyne, who presented BBC Midlands Today in the 70s when he opened a fete I attended.

zabadak
30-08-2017, 13:59
Edward Woodward opened our fete when I was a man-cub - didn't meet him, though... :)

George 1978
29-10-2017, 07:06
Dave Prowse came to my school in 1987 to do his famous talk about the Green Cross Code and road safety.

Leslie Crowther in the same year when he helped open up a new store for the first time.

Richard Bacon for the same reasons, but in the 1990s.

There are others but they haven't come to mind as I am writing this.

Danniella
14-01-2018, 20:15
Ian Rush came to our school to talk about his football career, i found this boring as i hate football!! Also seen quite a few WAGS in my hometown of Liverpool, and saw The Queen at JL airport.

Arran
15-01-2018, 09:05
This is true and I'm not making it up.

I used to know Hasib Hussain and his older brother Imran.

Zincubus
15-01-2018, 09:32
Only famous person I've chatted with ( two minutes ) was Suggs ( Madness) .. hd was sat on the steps of a Blackpool team having a coffee break mid filming ( documentary )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Danniella
15-01-2018, 11:00
This is true and I'm not making it up.

I used to know Hasib Hussain and his older brother Imran.

Do they play cricket?

Richard1978
15-01-2018, 14:43
I used to know weatherman Chris Fawkes in the 1980s as he lived in the next street to me & was a friend of a friend.

staffslad
15-01-2018, 16:51
This happened to a friend of my mom's. She was a big fan of Bill Beaumont when he was team captain on A Question of Sport. She worked for a clothing manufacturer and was one day called into the manager's office. She was flabbergasted when Bill Beaumont was in there, apparently on business from his family's textile company. Her manager called her in to meet Bill as he knew she was such a fan of the ex-rugby player.

Arran
26-01-2018, 08:52
Do they play cricket?

Yes they do. Imran was really into cricket and once played for the Yorkshire Under-14s. Hasib was also into football and I believe that he once played for Holbeck Hornets. Imran used to be close friends with Shezhad Tanweer. I may have glimpsed him a few times but I have never knowingly met him. I have never met or conversed with Mohammad Siddique Khan or Germaine Lindsay.

Twocky61
26-01-2018, 15:11
Met Jon Pertwee in 1973 (still have autographed 1973 Dr Who annual).:cool:

Met Lucy Pargeter in (Chaz Dingle Emmerdale) August 3rd this year and had pics taken with her and her husband Rudi. i saw them a month later to get the pics signed.:)

Same here Stockcarfan :) He visited our high school; no idea why.

zabadak
07-02-2018, 14:41
I met Phil May of The Pretty Things when they played the 100 Club a few years back - he was in the loo(!) getting ready so I didn't engage him in too much conversation... :D

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=5501&stc=1