R I P Andy Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R I P Andy Williams

U.S. Singer Andy Williams has died aged 84.

His publicist, Paul Shefrin, said the star died on Tuesday night at his US home following a year-long battle with bladder cancer.

Williams said in November 2011 that he was diagnosed with cancer but planned to continue performing.
    He began singing with his brothers as a child, and his easy style and mellow voice led US President Ronald Reagan to call him "a national treasure.

Although Williams' version of Moon River made him world famous, it was among his many hits, including Butterfly and Can't Get Used To Losing You.

He said of Moon River: "When I hear anybody else sing it, it's all I can to do stop myself from shouting at the television screen, 'No! That's my song!

The Andy Williams Show, which lasted in various formats on television through the 1960s and into 1971, won three Emmys and featured Williams alternately performing his stable of hits and bantering casually with his guest stars.

In 1992, Williams decided to settle in Branson, Missouri, the self-proclaimed "live entertainment capital of the country," with its dozens of theatres featuring live music, comedy and magic acts. "The fact is most of my friends in LA still think I'm nuts for coming here," he said in 1998.

Retirement was not on his schedule. As he said in 2001.
    I'll keep going until I get to the point where I can't get out on stage.

R.I.P. Andy.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: R I P andy williams

I am very sadto learn about Andy passing away, what a brilliant singer Andy was for so amny generations and decades with good so many good song's. I think I recall well how Andy sang Can't Take Me Eyes Off You being a really good song as too was Moon River, though I was not born in the 1960s a lot o song's Andy sang and I so often think of Andy when I think of 1960s Music as it is Music I grew up listening to and some of the first Music I really liked as a young Child.

Rip Andy Williams.

Comment

very sad news........kinda thought he would sing on forever

Comment

R.I.P. Andy -- I fondly remember The Andy Williams Show. I was but a tot but sometimes I was allowed to stay up a little past my bedtime to watch the show. Here's Andy Williams with Bobby Darin and Vic Damone.

Comment

when i heard the songs he did i remembered them.

never knew moon river was what that song was called although i have heard it many times.

neve knew cant take my eyes off you was one of his songs.

but both are real iconic songs.

--------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
          I am very sadto learn about Andy passing away, what a brilliant singer Andy was for so amny generations and decades with good so many good song's. I think I recall well how Andy sang Can't Take Me Eyes Off You being a really good song as too was Moon River, though I was not born in the 1960s a lot o song's Andy sang and I so often think of Andy when I think of 1960s Music as it is Music I grew up listening to and some of the first Music I really liked as a young Child.

Rip Andy Williams.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

R.I.P Andy Williams.He was a wonderful singer and performer who gave millions such a wonderful time at christmas with his albums and tv shows.Like most people,i loved listening to Andy Williams when i was an infant,he made us all feel so warm,safe and relaxed.

Comment

Working...
            X