Football/Sports Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football/Sports Newspapers

Can any other members recall how in the 1960s even to the 1990s that most regios in England (i'm unsure about Ireland, Scotland and Wales though) that they had their own Saturday Night Sports Newspapers. Sheffield and S Yorkshire/North Derbyshire had and still has the Green 'Un (one of the remaining ones, if not one of the only ones left). Manchester and the North West used to having the Evening Pink until not too long since I recall, Birmingham also had one which went as far South as Devon/Somerset (or at least I bought one in a Service Station on the way to Torquay in 1999). I am unsure if Newcastle on Tyne and Liverpool, London and the South Coast City's and Town's and Devon alone had one or if that Derby and Leicester and Stoke on Trent did too.

I might be wrong, but I recall Nottinghamshire had it's own version as well, i'm 100% sure I bought an edition in 1995 as I did a ne Season Guide to the 1995-1996 Season East Yorkshire and Hull had
    it's own version called the Sports Mail, lwhich was great - though Football wise it had not much coverage due to only Hull City and the sadly defunct Scarborough being the Teams what was most popular round this area. It was strange though, you could never buy the Newspaper in Scarborough I recall really well (or if not I sure missed it, but tried everywhere). As well there was the sadly defunct Yorkshire Sport that began in the 1990s and coverd all Yorkshire Teams and in it's early day's even kindly gave coverage of Football Teams not even in Yorkshire but close to the Border - eg Grimsby and Middlesbrough and other Neighbouring areas.
    It would be great if any members can recall any others that ran at any time, sadly though to my knowledge the Manchester Pink and Hull Daily Sports Mail and possibly Nottinghamshire's equilvlant and the West Midlands/Birmingham might possibly be not be going any longer - though it would be great if anyone can confirm about these 2 papers either way.

Thanks,

80sChav
    Last edited by 80sChav; 01-11-2012, 21:52.

Re: Football/Sports Newspapers

The North east had and still have I believe The Pink which as you can guess is printed on pink paper. It's printed and out on the streets in time for the final whistle on a Saturday afternoon and has/had half time scores and reports in from the pro leagues and also all the local leagues. I would buy it occasionally if I was in Newcastle.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
      The North east had and still have I believe The Pink which as you can guess is printed on pink paper. It's printed and out on the streets in time for the final whistle on a Saturday afternoon and has/had half time scores and reports in from the pro leagues and also all the local leagues. I would buy it occasionally if I was in Newcastle.
      This is great news HG, I recall these type of Newspapers well - sadly it's just another part of History lost from years since in a way I think as time changes. What marevlous Sports Papers these used to be in their heyday, i'll always remember them. I especialy liked comparing other regions if I was in that region/area at the time.

Comment

sadly we dont have any sports specific papers that i know of either here in northern ireland or in in the irish republic.

although we do have papers in the south that cover many sports mainly local sports like irish football north and south also the gaelic sports gaelic football hurling camogie.
        camogie is basically the same as hurling for men.

think ill have do more research to find what if any north or south newspapers are sport only.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Stoke on Trent do still have the Green 'Un. It was stopped for a few years but it is back now. At one time the Stoke Green 'Un was available on a Friday and was actually a preview of the weekend's coming sports events. Now it is available on Saturdays.

It's not very good I'm afraid. It doesn't sell well and I can't see it carrying on for long. I used to like the Friday version (mid to late 90's as I recall) but the current version is not really up to much to be honest. It's part of The Sentinel group which is Stoke's local paper.

Cheers,
          Finnthedude.

Comment

I remember when I used to visit my grandparents and go up to the local town area up the hill. I'm not sure which came out on what days, but there would be an elderly guy shouting "Come and get yer Cron!", "Job daaaaaaay!" and "Come an get a Green Un!"

I used to get the papers and then my Granddad would sit muttering to himself how bad all the teams were. lol

My local evening paper used to do pullouts on different topics every evening. The sports pull out was a Monday if I remember correctly. It mostly centres on how Leeds United are terrible now.

Comment

Working...
            X