Interpretation of EVERYONE'S GONE TO THE MOON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation of EVERYONE'S GONE TO THE MOON

I always wondered what the 1965 song EVERYONE'S GONE TO THE MOON, by Jonathan King, was about.

Here are the lyrics

Streets full of people
    All alone
    Roads full of houses
    Never home
    Church full of singing
    Out of tune
    Everyone's gone to the moon

Eyes full of sorrow
    Never wet
    Hands full of money
    All in debt
    Sun coming out in
    The middle of June

Long time ago
    Life has begun
    Everyone went to the sun

Hearts full of motors
    Painted green
    Mouths full of chocolate
    Covered cream
    Arms that can only
    Lift a spoon

I have two ideas as to the song's subject matter

1 One of my theories is that this song is about WAR, OR SPECIFICALLY, THE LIFE OF A SOLDIER DURING A WAR
    Streets full of people, all alone -- soldiers in platoons but all feeling lonely for their loved ones back home
    Roads full of houses, never home -- The barracks the soldiers live in
    Church full of singing, out of tune -- a military chapel
    Everyone's gone to the moon -- the soldiers are so far away they might as well be on the moon

Eyes full of sorrow, never wet -- the soldiers cannot cry for their fallen friends in battle or for loved ones left behind, because they were commanded to "toughen up" and "be men"
    Hands full of money, all in debt -- they're making money but they are "paying their dues" to Uncle Sam
    Sun coming out in the middle of June

Long time ago life has begun
    Everyone went to the sun

Hearts full of motors, painted green -- the soldiers forced to care only about where they are going in their tanks and jeeps
    Mouths full of chocolate-covered cream -- The soldiers receiving gifts of candy (boxed chocolate assortments) from loved ones back home
    Arms that can only lift a spoon -- A reference to wounded soldiers or disabled war heroes

2 -- Another theory is that the song could be about THE STATE OF BEING UNPARTNERED

Streets full of people, all alone -- hordes of single people wanting to be partnered
    Roads full of houses, never home -- These single souls feel their house isn't a home without a partner
    Church full of singing out of tune -- Unpartnered people attending weddings of friends and family, feeling worse about being unpartnered
    Everyone's gone to the moon -- all eligible prospects might as well be on the moon

Eyes full of sorrow, never wet -- sad but resigned to the status quo
    Hands full of money all in debt -- making money just to pay rent to a landlord, because they feel (erroneously) that one should be married or at least living with someone before they own property
    Sun coming out in the middle of June

Long time ago
    Life has begun
    Everyone went to the sun

THE NEXT VERSE COULD BE A REFERENCE TO CHILDREN/CHILDHOOD, AND AN UNPARTNERED SOUL LONGING EITHER FOR A CHILD OF HIS/HER OWN OR FOR THE DAYS BEFORE PUBERTY HIT AND LIFE WAS ABOUT TOYS, FRIENDS, AND CANDY
    Hearts full of motors painted green -- a child's joy in playing with colorful mechanical toys
    Mouths full of chocolate-covered cream -- A child's joy in eating candy
    Arms that can only lift a spoon -- the limited physical power of a very young child

Those are my two interpretations. Anyone share my opinion or have interpretations of their own to share?

Interesting, Sparkina - there should be a course/discussion group dedicated to the analysis of song lyrics. The Beatles would feature strongly.
    Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

It was the mid Sixties, so perhaps the lyrics were heavily influenced by, ahem, 'recreational drugs'... Look at the lyrics of 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' and you get something equally kooky and written by a drug-addled mind.

This is a bit of a narrow interpretation, I grant you, and your versions are more thought provoking, but I guess only the inmate of a certain UK prison can tell us for sure.
      Cheers

Armchair

Comment

Drug fuelled and hippy/happyland i'd think, if were to disect lyrics we could be here forever though, and we each have our own views, about what songs mean, like reading a book, we use our imaginations to create the characters, locations etc within the confines of our mind.

Oggy does a semi serious comment.........omg.

Comment

Flowers in the Rain ( the Move ) would be of that genre too.
          Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

Yeh i guess so, is there a thread here then drug related music? Roy Wood was in the move before Wizard wasn't he?

Comment

Working...
            X