Farewell to the Dandy 1937-2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell to the Dandy 1937-2012

This week saw the publication of the final issue of The Dandy, cancelled by publishers D.C Thomson after 75 years. Launched in December 1937, it was the third longest running comic title in the world (after the Italian Il Giornalino, launched in 1924, and the American Detective Comics, launched in March 1937). The Dandy will continue as an online publication, but Desperate Dan and friends have finally been banished from newsagents shelves after years of steadily declining sales...

There's a tribute here: http://www.brokenfrontier.com/lowdow...937-2012-r-i-p

Re: Farewell to the Dandy 1937-2012

that's a pity, i used to love reading the Dandy and the Beano when i was younger.

Comment

Well, at least The Beano is still going strong...

Comment

Aw...that's sad. I remember I always prefered the Beano when I was a child. In more recent years, the Dandy changed quite a lot with more modern characters added eg Olly Fliptrik - the skateboarding whizz and Jak and Todd the schoolboy characters who replaced Desperate Dan as cover characters. Even Korky the cat's character was modernised. My son lost interest in it unless there was a particularly good freebie gift given away.

Comment

very sad news.
          ut it had a great run longer that you would have expected.

i fo remember reading it when younger.
          great stuff.

one thing is for sure if you find these comics the older ones they will be worth money.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Speaking as a dealer in comics and collectibles, you need issues from the sixties or older for them to be worth much. Though the final issue is already going for silly prices on ebay, doubtless to clueless speculative investors.

Comment

It's a sad day when something so iconic and from our youth suddenly dissapears.I loved reading the dandy.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X