Early Versions of Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Versions of Windows

Does anyone on here still have a computer, which is still at least partly in working order, with one of the early versions of Windows on it, such as Windows 95 or Windows 3.1?
    (I this thread is probably more likely to get a reply than the one on black & white TV's)
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Re: Early Versions of Windows

I had a pre-Windows PC that was still working fine in late 2004. I had to get rid of it because my parents were breathing down my neck to clear out my room.

An odd feature was the power supply was build into the screen, so I couldn't just keep the main unit & get rid of the screen.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Sorry just read this I have an old base 80286 and an unopened win 3.1

Comment

Just got rid of a windows 95 CD the other day, up until a few months ago I was still running a PC with windows 98.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
          Just got rid of a windows 95 CD the other day, up until a few months ago I was still running a PC with windows 98.
          So was i,paulos,until my old computer broke down around 6 months ago.The earliest versions of windows were just holes in walls

Comment

I know a friend of mine has computer with Windows 98 on it, in working order too. The computer its self dates from 1995.

Comment

My Dad was using a laptop with either Windows 95 or 98 until a couple of years ago if he was away from home.

It's still around somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                An odd feature was the power supply was build into the screen, so I couldn't just keep the main unit & get rid of the screen.
                Amstrad PC1512/1640?

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                  Amstrad PC1512/1640?
                  It was an IBM PS/1, I've still got the hard drive around somwhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    It was an IBM PS/1, I've still got the hard drive around somwhere.
                    Ah, I'd forgotten about that one. It's been a good many years since I saw any of those, but weren't the first of the PS/1 range also unusual in having PC/MS-DOS in ROM ?

Comment

Originally posted by PC66 View Post
                      Ah, I'd forgotten about that one. It's been a good many years since I saw any of those, but weren't the first of the PS/1 range also unusual in having PC/MS-DOS in ROM ?
                      I think so, which meant it booted up quickly, I've still got the handbook around somewhere.

I'm hoping to find another some day, & install the old one's hard drive. The insides were quite modular for changing the hardware.

Comment

I still have a PC with Windows 98 SE on it, it is in good working order but the CRT monitor with it has been playing up lately, so I'm not using it 'cause I'm worried about the monitor going bang!

If I find another decent CRT monitor to use, it will be in regular use again...or I may be "forced" to settle for an LCD monitor.

Comment

I'm sure you could find one on Freecycle.

Comment

I noticed a disc in a Charity Shop the other day - sadly it didn't say what it was for - though it was Windows 95. I have regretted buying it ever since - but it sure took me back to the days of when saving things was a lot easier on Computers in the 1990s and discs did nearly everything compared to know that you have to either save your work to the Computer or create a copy too. When I think of the amazing things that Windows and/Discs offered when I first got into Computers at College - it sure makes me think "wow, this is why I collect things and have an interest in retro things" - though sadly at least for Computers I don't know if things will ever be the same again given the progress they have made. They sure were happy times for me indeed

Comment

i just got rid of a load of old discs for pc windows 95 - 2000.
                              as i no longer could use these on the current laptop it freed up some cupboard space.

Comment

Working...
                              X