Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed... Large Haunted House game with ball bearing and traps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed... Large Haunted House game with ball bearing and traps?

Hi everyone

I really need some help locating a game I used to have when I was a child. I will try to describe the game in as much detail as possible, from what I can remember:

The game was made out of plastic and was made in the shape of a large building (about 10"-12" tall). Looking at it from the side, it was in the shape of a set of stairs, with each "step" being a floor in the house. Each "step" contained 5 or 6 spaces.

The aim of the game was to work your way through each floor of the building (there were about 5 or 6 floors) using dice, and get to the top. Throughout the game were several "trapdoor" spaces, some of which were yellow. Once you got to certain points in the building, you were able to release a ball bearing which worked its way down to the bottom of the building, activating the trap doors, for example:

1. One trap door looked like an empty doorway, which the ball bearing would fall through, knocking the piece off
    2. One trap door was a square yellow space, which the character would stand on. When the trap was activated, the yellow square would lift up at an angle and tip the character off the board.

Any character knocked off one of the trap spaces by the ball bearing would tumble to the bottom, where they would have to start again.

I can confirm that the game I am referring to is not Which Witch or Ghost Castle... I cannot for the life of me remember the name! I have been searching the internet for hours and cannot find it! Please can someone help, I really want to buy this game again for my kids!

Thanks guys,

Jamie

Re: Help needed... Large Haunted House game with ball bearing and traps?

I had a game called Haunted House made by Ideal when I was young which sounds similar. It was a very old game as it was a hand-me-down from a family member and was given to me in 1986. Had a plastic building with floors if I remember correctly. Deffo had Ghost Castle though and that was fun

Comment

what decade are we talking?

had a very quick look on google for games with this theme, is it House of Spirits, or Haunted Treasure Hunt?

Comment

Hi jdt1986
        I think I know the game that you described,sounds to me like its a game called 'Creeps' Castle'.I'll try and post a photo of it tomorrow.

Comment

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6956/creeps-castle

Looks like it is Creep's Castle

Comment

I remember one, the catchline was Goolish Gertie drops it down the chimney. It was a haunted house game lol this thread just reminded me of it

Comment

Originally posted by AkaB! View Post
              I remember one, the catchline was Goolish Gertie drops it down the chimney. It was a haunted house game lol this thread just reminded me of it

thats been quoted before on here, in threads about Haunted House AKA Which Witch ? But the OP confirms thats not the one they are looking for
              Heather

Comment

Hi, another ghost related question from another newbie. This one is driving me nuts, so really hope someone can help.

I had a great haunted house game as kid, probably mid to late 70s.

This was a board game with cardboard cut out people as playing figures. The idea was to throw the dice and follow the path on the board through the house. There was a 3D cardboard house on top of the board with doorways so you could move your pieces through from one room to another. There was, I think, only a ground floor.

The real beauty of this game though was what lay beneath the floor. The playing surface of the board was in fact the top of a 2 or 3 inch thick base. Inside the base were a series of cavities set into a hidden rotating section. You could rotate the section by moving wheels that protruded from the edge of the board. The cavities in this rotating section lined up perfectly (sometimes not so perfectly) with special floor board spaces on the playing surface. These special spaces had orange plastic covers about 2 inches long, moulded to look like floorboards. If you landed on a floorboard space, you removed the cover and ... this is where it got really exciting, revealed the cavity underneath which may have been empty or may have contained a ghost piece. You loaded up the rotating section with a small number of ghost pieces at the start of the game, then covered up all the floor board spaces with the orange plastic covers, then gave the 'board' a spin, so no one knew where anything was hiding. I recall if the cavity was empty, you could put your playing piece in it, and it would then end up in another room once the 'board' was spun, a bit like a Snakes & Ladders move.

Anyway, I loved this game but can't remember for the life of me what it was called. can anyone help, please!!

Thanks

PPP

Comment

Hi PPP, The game you describe sounds like 'Scream Inn' which was based on the comicstrip of the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro Ghoul View Post
                    Hi PPP, The game you describe sounds like 'Scream Inn' which was based on the comicstrip of the same name.
                    That's it!!! Thank you so much. Now I'm off to eBay to see if I can get one!
                    PPP

Comment

Working...
                    X